Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. June 21, 2008 Saturday

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by wharvey
Well, I certainly hope there is a 9th BRT.

William, if there is a BRT 9, I'll save you 2 seats. @:-)

Originally Posted by cawhite
Let me get this straight... No Fiorentinos, which means we won't see Larry? And no Cyclone ride?

Dan, I know we're in good hands when it comes to the BRT, and I completely trust whatever decisions you make regarding our dining venues for this year's BRT.
cawhite, looks like no Larry this trip.
Thanks for trusting me.

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
I'm somewhat looking forward to the Coney Island trip. As cawhite has said, I'm going to trust your decision making Dan.
What is it with these people.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Nor my "buddy" Joe the waiter?

I agree. I trust Dan's judgment implicitly. Dan da man!!! ^
Kathy, no Joe the waiter either.
Another person who trusts me.

Originally Posted by SS255
What Kathy said. (I was just really looking forward to Coney Island. )
SS225, ok. You've got my attention.

So now I'm thinking L&B for supper (pizza), followed by one last stop in Brooklyn at Coney Island, before heading to Little Italy in Manhattan for Italian pastries.

I need some quiet time to work out the details.

dh
Old May 17, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Okay, I've finally broken down to book all my necessary reservations. The price finally dropped by about $200 for me to book nonstop tickets out of our hometown CAE instead of driving an extra hour to CLT. And we will fly up on Thursday night in order to have all day in NYC on both Friday and Monday, too.

With a 9:30pm flight home, we have all day available on Monday.

Our hotels:
Cash & Points reservation at Sheraton LGA on Thursday night.
Non-refundable Z3H promo rate at Four Points Manhattan Chelsea on Fri - Sun nights. ($190/nt + tax after discounts. My refundable SPG50 rate was $247.50, IIRC.)

On our agenda:
Friday night dinner at Mercat.
Saturday BRT.
Sunday 2pm show: Legally Blonde
Sunday 6pm Wine Do.
And some minor shopping for scuba gear sometime. (Doesn't everyone fly to NYC to buy wetsuits?)

We might make it to the Stage Deli on Sunday, but we're not going to commit to that at this time. Depends on the rest of our plans.

We'd probably like to visit a museum, but we haven't talked about which one. Perhaps the Guggenheim.
Old May 18, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by dhammer53
...Thanks for trusting me. ...
You've earned it.

...So now I'm thinking L&B for supper (pizza), followed by one last stop in Brooklyn at Coney Island, before heading to Little Italy in Manhattan for Italian pastries...

I'm really looking forward to another BRT!
Old May 21, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update

Couple of things...

If you haven't sent me your t-shirt size for the BRT shirt, I need it right away.
Shirts must be ordered sooner, rather than later.

This year, the BRT has had a few more drop-outs than drop-ins.
The cost of the tour has always been based on the number of attendees divided by the cost of the bus.

Cost is projected using the anticipated number of attendees. With folks dropping out (some paid/some not) it may affect the final cost.

The first 7 BRT's covered all cost. Unless we get additional riders, I may need an additional $5. I'll let you know as we get closer. I'm hoping last minute attendees will balance everything out. It has before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the breakdown of the shirt sizes...

S 2
M 5
L 17
XL 17
XXL 3

Maybe it's a good thing the tour may have some open seats.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Maybe it's a good thing the tour may have some open seats.
That would move Freddie, Jr. from a lap child to his own seat.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The only thing that is stopping me from attending is finding an excellent airfare from Atlanta.

Having just graduated with a Master in Business Administration degree almost two weeks ago, funds are rather tight at the moment.

I do want to attend, however.
Old May 22, 2008, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The only thing that is stopping me from attending is finding an excellent airfare from Atlanta.

Having just graduated with a Master in Business Administration degree almost two weeks ago, funds are rather tight at the moment.

I do want to attend, however.
Congrats on your MBA! ^

Have you looked for award tix ATL-NYC?

You HAVE to come this year. There's a seat with your name on it!!!
Old May 22, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Have you looked for award tix ATL-NYC?
Blasphemy! What a waste of points from ATL! (Unless we're talking about an award like Continental's last minute specials, but those are generally for flights on Saturday with a Monday or Tuesday return.)

But if one is willing to part with Skymiles for less than 1 cent per point redemption value, there are options there.

$291 on AirTran and DL right now. That's a little higher than normal. I'd bet that it will drop a bit again soon. (Nonstop from CAE is less than $291 .)

Airfare's the cheaper part. It's the hotels that are expensive. Shave some of that cost by staying outside of the city.

Edit: Of course, if the BRT is "priceless," then the redemption value is, too.
Old May 22, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by sc flier
Blasphemy! What a waste of points from ATL! (Unless we're talking about an award like Continental's last minute specials, but those are generally for flights on Saturday with a Monday or Tuesday return.)

But if one is willing to part with Skymiles for less than 1 cent per point redemption value, there are options there....

Edit: Of course, if the BRT is "priceless," then the redemption value is, too.
Personally, I have committed the "blasphemy" of redeeming UA miles for short-haul awards on a number of occasions. My rationale is that spending dollars on those short flights just doesn't get me much bang for my buck in terms of EQMs and RDMs -- and remember, you're not just buying transportation, you're buying miles (two kinds) as well! I'd rather spend dollars on transcons and international flights -- gotta maintain that all-important 1K! (This year will be different once I've done the rest of my MRs and banked all my double EQMs though -- I might actually use miles for SOME transcons and/or internationals later this year.)

As for hotels, I've booked an award stay and I'm sure a lot of others are saving dollars by doing that as well.

And yes, the BRT IS priceless, and Canarsie, a Brooklyn boy himself, has never been on the BRT!!!
Old May 22, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
I got in on the hotel deal on Travelzoo. The Millennium Broadway Hotel New York. Hope its ok. Priced at $189. a night (+$40. on Sat).

Crossing fingers for good flight costs from the West Coast.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

43 and counting.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The only thing that is stopping me
Stopping you?

#46? :-: ^

You HAVE to come this year. There's a seat with your name on it!!!
Heck, there's an entire neighborhood with his name on it.

There's at least 7 or 8 seats left.

Last edited by dhammer53; May 23, 2008 at 7:45 am Reason: revised count in body of post. Better hurry.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist

Heck, there's an entire neighborhood with his name on it.
No, really?
Old May 23, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
flights booked, hotels reserved (OUCH! expensive!), i'm ready for the BRT..now just have to ship my wine out there for the wine-Do.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Announcement

On BRT 8, Starwood offered up an offer of points to 1 lucky rider. Our friend cawhite was the winner of this Starwood gift.

This year, our friend Starwood Lurker, William, offered a gift of 5000 Starwood points to 1 lucky rider. Last year, I gave everyone a number as they boarded the bus. To keep it on the up and up, our driver picked the number out of a hat.

5000 Starwood points, if used wisely, can get you 2 free nights at select hotels worldwide (don't mean to sound like a commercial).

So besides this post being a shamless plug for Starwood, it's also a bump.

Still have a couple of seats available. Tell your friends.

William, thanks very much. ^
Old May 27, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Dan,

I was in Brooklyn on Sunday - had some Randazzo's, Roll-n-Roaster, walked around Sheepshead Bay, drove through Canarsie (the location, not the FTer) and made sure it was still there....

Have fun on the tour of OUR city^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.