Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. June 21, 2008 Saturday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
8th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. June 21, 2008 Saturday

2008 dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour - Sat. June 21, 2008

Announcing the 8th annual dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour.

The first 7 Brooklyn Tours were sellouts. The past four years, due to an overwhelming response, I rented an airport type shuttle van. We split the cost. The cost will be about $32. per person based on a full van of 25 passengers. 3/30/08 Note We now have a coach bus with roughly 50 passengers.

Paypal details to be announced at a later date.

Pick up 10:00 Saturday morning. Probably around Grand Central Station. Drop-off at 10:00pm.

Besides touring Brooklyn (my home town), we eat, and eat, and eat. Can you say 'real' Brooklyn pizza? Can you say 'delicious' bakery goodies? Just ask any of the folks who have been on this tour. We drive. We tour. We eat.

If you're new to Flyertalk, the tour is a great way to make new friends. ^

After we finished the tour last year, we went for dinner. We went to an authentic Italian place in an authentic Italian neighborhood. Lots of jewelry showing.

Figure about $25- $30 a person. This is less than what you would pay in Manhattan; and twice the portion. The show is better than the food.

The dinner will be open to everyone. If you're not on the Tour, you'll have to take the subway to the restaurant. It's about 40 minutes and $2 one way. Two years ago, we had a few hitch-hikers on the van back to Manhattan.

Start planning now. Springtime in New York is beautiful. Consider yourself invited.

If you've been on the tour before and want to go again, please sign up, and consider yourself waitlisted. If you're from New York, you're waitlisted too. Thinking about bringing a friend or relative? They have no status; so we'll have to wait and see if they clear the DM list. All of the above lists will clear by May 15. Don't wait to decide.

Past tour highlights include:

2001...poor AnnaS having a cold.
2002...Lisamcgu making us stop for White castle hamburgers.
2003...mjm insisting on a Starbucks break. After I stopped laughing at him for thinking that Brooklyn would even have a Starbucks... we found one.
2004...gorging on food at marysunshine's house...and this was a snack!
2005...cawhite knocking on the door of my childhood home; while I ducked for cover. It was a priceless moment. Details towards the last page of the 2005 thread. Also, a Tony Soprano type sitting at the bar added some extra flavor to our experience.
2006...Our van squeezing past a doubleparked car on a side street. You can just imagine the typical Brooklyn swearing. Also, the tour getting its 15 minutes of fame on Cable television News 12 Brooklyn. Check it out http://news12.com/BK/topstories/article?id=175940# use name: dhammer53ft, password: flyertalk
2007... When cawhites 'friend' Larry (the guy who always sits at the bar), checked us out!
2008... "I had no intention of stopping at my childhood home. As we approached, I told the driver to slow down, then stop. Seems the front door was wide open. I took this as a sign from above. I stopped the bus.
A couple of years back, cawhite knocked on the door. I ducked for cover. This year I was apprehensive as I approached. When I told the woman that she bought the house from my Mom, she said in typical Brooklyn fashion whats her name? When I responded, she had a big smile for me.
This may have been the moment on BRT 8. Every year, there's always one moment that's noteworthy".

Note:

We rotate seats on the bus. Seat 1A is reserved for a couple of long time attendees (yes, that means you).
We make plenty of stops.
New Yorkers are 'standby' for the tour. Preference goes to out-of-towners.

No talking miles and points when I'm (ahem) lecturing on Brooklyn.
If you want to talk miles and points, visit Chat.

mjm will post and host a website for the tour attendees, and the dinner attendees.
Details to follow (eventually).

It takes a certain type of person to put up with other Flyertalkers for an entire day. If you're looking for an excuse to visit NY (Brooklyn) in June, the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour is it.

Please post below if you're interested. I've met a few of you along the road this past year and you have 'dibs' if you're interested in joining us for a fun day in Brooklyn.

If you're interested in coming along, I need you to e mail me your:

Flyertalk handle and real name.
Hotel you're staying at, when available.
Cell #

The 2007 thread here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=brooklyn

2008 Trip Report here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839107

The 2006 thread here http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=brooklyn
It's good background info for any first timers; or, anyone feeling nostalgic.

Please note... Many of you have PM'd me making inquiries about the date of the BRT. Something to do with making plans in advance.

If I have already confirmed you on the tour, you're set.
If you were a maybe, please confirm one way or the other.
If you posted to the other thread, but never PM'd me, now's the time to post. Please note, you may be waitlisted.

Past BRT's have taken place in May. Special arrangements were made for 2 Oceania Flyertalkers.

Let the fun begin.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 4, 2008 at 8:43 am Reason: added Trip Report link
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Attendees: in order of how PM's were received. 5 seats available. as of 14 June.

Don't see your name on the list? This means that I accidentally forget you; or, you're waitlisted. Feel free to PM me for clarification.

dhammer53 +1 (She's threatening to come this year) *
karenKay *
Serfty *
UCBeau * +1 *
MarkettoMarket *
Cawhite *
Wharvey + Al * Can't join us.
Abelscc +1 *
JSWong *
AsianRick *
BK3day *
TelevisionTdTina +1 *
iluv2fly $$
Baxter&Bessies'Mama *
Savage25 *
SCflier +1 *
ddrewboy *
Pat89339 * Paris bound.
bdesmond *
KalKat+1 *
Spartacus *
SS255 *
MarblesDad +1 *
Violist *
Tommy777 +1 *
Squeakr + Bob - can't make it.
juammer +1 *
KathyWaldorfAstoria *
ShopAround * +1
GaLupo *
Punki & Hunki *
xanthuos *
abraxis *
elizabethh *
nroscoe *
JCinNYC *
TMK

I'm also saving a few seats for an invited guest or 2. Maybe one of these days, the Boss will join us.

That my friends totals 50. edit to say that the #'s change daily.

Once I work out the details and send you Paypal info, a couple of folks may drop out due to scheduling. I do have several people on the maybe and standby list.

Hang in there.

The * means confirmation.
Those mailing checks will get their cute little * shortly. Same goes for partial payments.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 13, 2008 at 10:38 pm Reason: * = Confirmation
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Additional info Pre/Post tour...

Catman SoupDO Friday June 20. http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791678

WineDo Sunday June 22.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802173

Last edited by dhammer53; Mar 19, 2008 at 7:21 am Reason: One error every year, at least this one was minor.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Where is this...this...“Brooklyn” that you speak of?!?

I would like to try to attend this tour. I understand that, located within the confines of this “Brooklyn”, is a neighborhood named “Canarsie”, which was once described to me as “a mythical place in a blue-tinted pickle jar located in the back of Gussie’s Bar & Grill.”

By the way, this tour takes place in Brooklyn, not Lynbrook, right? I know people who wound up in Manhasset when they were trying to get to Manhattan last time due primarily to the lack of originality in the names Long Island gives their towns and villages.

Okay, I have Yaphanked enough here...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Cool

Please count me in for the 2008 BRT!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
My sister is getting married the following week so it's probably not a good idea for me to runaway the week before

Guess there is always hope for another BRT.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Oh man, I wish I could make it again. Unfortunately, my sister plans on graduating this year and the party is the night before, about 4000 miles further east.

The tour is really a "must" for every Flyertalker.

Have fun guys.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:40 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Dan,

Message sent.

Al and I hope there is room for us... we even gave up Red Sox tickets to free up the weekend....

So, where is the cheap place to stay?

William
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
you rawk.
i am soooo there. ^
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53
New Yorkers are 'standby' for the tour.
Since I'm a New Yorker, please add me to the standby list.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I'll be there Dan! ^
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by wharvey
Dan,

Message sent.

Al and I hope there is room for us... we even gave up Red Sox tickets to free up the weekend....

So, where is the cheap place to stay?

William

If William's going, I'm going! PM sent!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:22 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by SS255
If William's going, I'm going! PM sent!
AH shucks!!!!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Reminder to others: Posting here does not qualify. The boy is asking for PMs to confirm

I'm a d*mn maybe. Will know after a bit of time so realize there may not be any space available. BTW - I have pics of the infamous stop in front of Dan's boyhood home by cawhite!

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
You know I'm in Dan, I'll book tickets this week.

I have a few other things to talk to you about as well, so I'll PM you later this week when I get it all sorted out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.