Search

Sunday December 30. Flyertalkers and Randy on television

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:50 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by jason8612
Thanks!
Interesting short. Too bad they don't say like "And sometimes airlines make fare mistakes...."
We don't want too many looking for those mistake fares, although it would point out that we do look for bargains in doing these MRs.

It was a good piece, nice to see it on network tv.

You're welcome, everyone. Sorry it took so long to get it converted, posted to youtube and to post the link.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:17 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Three.... and counting.
Four, and counting.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
I returned from MUC today and I think that the customs guy at ORD may have seen the show. First he wondered why I had no luggage. When I told him that I left on Saturday he said "That's a short time to be gone" with this suspicious look in his eye. I replied that I wanted some more end of year miles. He then shook his head (as though, there's another one) wished me a Happy New Year and waved me through.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by formite
After all, we are enthusiasts not lunatics.
Speak for yourself...
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by formite
Thanks for posting it on youtube. I wish CBS produce a longer segment with more information regarding the perks of elites and financial rationale of MR. After all, we are enthusiasts not lunatics.
I think it's better if not everybody knows about it. We still need the regular travelers to make it more special for us. Where would the world be if everybody would be as crazy as we are? Let's keep it down a bit!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I love the comment on the CBS website:

"This is simply shameful. To have such a vacant life as to waste it sitting on airplanes just to sit on more airplanes, albeit the concept of having a better seat. These people should consider something akin to addiction counseling. Not only are they wasting their own lives, but the time and effort of dozens of people who are processing their tickets and securing airline flights by making the line a few minutes longer. It is inconsiderate of the people who truly have a function and a goal for their travel and need to get somewhere."
Like a zillion self-important people flying to Bali to discuss the "crisis" of global "warming."

Notice that now since it's always so damn cold, it's "climate change."
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Like a zillion self-important people flying to Bali to discuss the "crisis" of global "warming."

Notice that now since it's always so damn cold, it's "climate change."
Well, you didn't understand it either
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I think it's better if not everybody knows about it. We still need the regular travelers to make it more special for us. Where would the world be if everybody would be as crazy as we are? Let's keep it down a bit!
Agreed. Where would we be if everyone had elite status like us?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
Great Video!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by TexARN
Agreed. Where would we be if everyone had elite status like us?
You'd be in Honolulu!

At HNL, on the first inter-island flights of the day, fully 85% of the pax are in the elite line. The non elite line is tiny. It's like Bizarro World!

Pretty funny!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
After having another person tell me they saw a segment on Sunday Morning that sounded exactly like what I did for years, I figured I had to come to FlyerTalk to find out the story. I knew it had to generate from our group.(Mileage Runs I Did! I flew to South America twice in June 2007 because I got that EZE-JKF Business Class fare for $560 all-in.)

I knew I would a link to the story here. I have to admit that I have become much less inclined to book mileage runs after checking the Air France website carbon emission calculator. Reading reports from the Lonely Planet founder also caused me to rethink the environmental impact of 100,000+ paid flight miles taken jsut for elite status. Unless I am getting hotel reviews and hotel loyalty program business completed (which was the primary emphasis of my South America trips), I am passing on the mileage runs.

I bought two Bahamas-San Francisco ($110 each) tickets for November-December travel that were mileage runs to reach top tier status and I canceled those trips.

The air travel was fun for many years, but the June South America trips were some of the worst delays I have ever experienced (JFK and ATL) and it wasn't as fun as in the past.

The hotel loyalty game seems much more rewarding these days. Particularly when so many cities have hotel average rates above $300/night.

Hotel runs are the name of the game for the next couple of months as Starwood and Hyatt are both running fast-track elite status promotions. A frequent guest hotel run can earn top-tier elite status in both Hyatt (13 stays by Mar 31) and Starwood (13 stays by Feb 29) for 26 paid stays and have top tier elite benefits through February 2010. Now that is a goal worth an investment of time and money.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:54 am
ed1

More MR in the news - video on youtube.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 4:20 am
ed1

CTV Interview with 2 MRers.

CTV Interview with 2 MRers.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Yesterday we had lunch with tonywestsider who find FlyerTalk as a result of tihs broadcast.

I suspect, after meeting him, that he will become an addict. Just like the rest of us.

Welcome aboard, Tony! ^
Old May 29, 2009, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bump

This was a fun video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzwyrwBaZjs

Shameless plus for the BRT. 2 weeks to go.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.