"Pop the Cork Do": Cork, Ireland 6th - 8th June 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Pop the Cork Do": Cork, Ireland 6th - 8th June 2008

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I'll attend if I'm in Ireland at the time as I've only ever been to Cork once despite having been to Brazil dozens of times. Sorry JAP!!! This does not mean that it's not a good place to visit merely that the women are slightly better looking in Rio than in Cork and Brazilian Portuguese is slightly more pleasant on the ear than a strong Cork accent. Note for any ladies attending : IIRC JAP does not have a strong Cork accent.

Originally Posted by JAP
Take in a local GAA game of hurling or gaelic football
Excellent idea particularly if there is a Munster championship hurling match on that weekend in Páirc Uí Chaoimh. I have never played hurling as I don't come from a part of Ireland where it's played but IMO it is one of the great games of the World and definitely a spectacle worth seeing live if the opportunity presents itself.

Aside from that I would add a visit to somewhere that is renowned for serving really good pints of Murphy's maybe as part of a walk around Cork. Murphy's is the (preferred) local stout with a slightly sweeter taste than Guinness and thus may be more palatable to first time visitors/drinkers.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JAP
Visit Kinsale and eat in Fishy-Fishy Cafe
It got a very positive review from Paolo Tullio in today's Irish Indo. However he did note that it doesn't accepts cards of any form and FTers may not be happy with another reduction in their mileage earning opportunities whilst in Ireland.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:05 am

please add me, to the "very tenative" list.
sounds great.
but ya know in the future , you really ought to consider providing advance notice
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by JAP
...Take in a local GAA game of hurling...
Interesting. So is this game of hurling played after a long night of binge drinking?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 27, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
OK, I'm in the same boat as MCS? (No, I'm not being ungrammatical; he's extremely fussy about his question mark! )

Cork's been on my list for a few years now. It's just a shame that the Loganair GLA-ORK is no more
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:15 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Interesting. So is this game of hurling played after a long night of binge drinking?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Frequently

An amateur sport by the way .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXR6v...elated&search=

And Cork are in the final in this clip
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:23 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by oiRRio
I'll attend if I'm in Ireland at the time as I've only ever been to Cork once despite having been to Brazil dozens of times. Sorry JAP!!! This does not mean that it's not a good place to visit merely that the women are slightly better looking in Rio than in Cork and Brazilian Portuguese is slightly more pleasant on the ear than a strong Cork accent. Note for any ladies attending : IIRC JAP does not have a strong Cork accent.
Aside from that I would add a visit to somewhere that is renowned for serving really good pints of Murphy's maybe as part of a walk around Cork. Murphy's is the (preferred) local stout with a slightly sweeter taste than Guinness and thus may be more palatable to first time visitors/drinkers.
I must admit that I am only a tourist here too - I wasn't born in Cork - just recently moved here to marry my Corkonian wife

Quite a few options for Murphys methinks

And thought of a few more options for things to do over the weekend :-
  • Visit Cobh Cathedral
  • Midleton Farmers Market is on every Saturday morning
  • Attend "The Jameson Experience" - a famous whisky distillery is a few miles from the Sheraton and worth a visit!
  • Visit "The English Market" - a famous victorian era market in Cork city centre

Could be a big event - easy for our UK friends to get over with direct flights from all over the country to Cork ... ^

JP
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JAP
Frequently

An amateur sport by the way .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXR6v...elated&search=

And Cork are in the final in this clip
LOL. Not exactly the kind of hurling I was expecting after a long night of binge drinking, but fascinating nonetheless.

Reminded me of a line out of the movie Knute Rockne, All-American when he was talking about Notre Dame starting a hockey team. "But Fr. Callaghan said no. Notre Dame will not participate in any sport that puts a stick in the hands of an Irishman."

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I am very close to committing but my cursory flight planning has revealed some unexpected routings/prices.

For example: best price on AA.com is £1068.50
EDI-KOI-GLA-LHR-ORK ORK-LHR-GLA-SYY-EDI

I need to dig a little deeper - Aer Arann direct from EDI would appear to be a more viable option.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I am very close to committing but my cursory flight planning has revealed some unexpected routings/prices.

For example: best price on AA.com is £1068.50
EDI-KOI-GLA-LHR-ORK ORK-LHR-GLA-SYY-EDI

I need to dig a little deeper - Aer Arann direct from EDI would appear to be a more viable option.
Yikes. We might be swimming to Cork from Turnberry if that is the case.

We were looking into taking the ferry as opposed to flying out of Prestwick, but Edinburgh was another flight possibility we were looking at as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Yikes. We might be swimming to Cork from Turnberry if that is the case.

We were looking into taking the ferry as opposed to flying out of Prestwick, but Edinburgh was another flight possibility we were looking at as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Also look at Ryanair.com - horrible service but usually the cheapest prices.

Also look at Dublin/Shannon as an alternative route - the wider choices available into Dublin usually make for a cheaper alternative. There is a very efficient train service between Cork and Dublin, and flights also cheap (Aer Arran and Ryanair again).

Shouldnt cost you too much if you take the local flights out of the overall picture, and price them seperately.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Foolish question, but is that €155 rate cancellable? I see an internet only rate of €150 that is pre-paid/non-cancellable.

At today's Euro/Bush Peso exchange rate, that's:

150.00 EUR = 205.111 USD
Euro United States Dollars
1 EUR = 1.36741 USD 1 USD = 0.731311 EUR

So, I hope they'll come down, or I'll get more Starpoints somewhere....
The €155 is fully flexible and cancellable. It will also be guaranteed right up until before the weekend in question. To be honest, I wouldn't envisage it comeing down as it is at the start of our peak season. Our expectation is that the majority of people would probably use points.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
A "Do" in Ireland..

Usualy I don't plan so far out, but count me in (tentatively).

I always wanted to see the Sheraton in Cork but never managed to take either train or aerAran down there.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

I've only posted details of the proposed Do on the community board so far, so it is nice to already have a bit of interest. I'll put something a bit more formal up on the SPG board as well (i.e. not hidden in the Fota thread so we don't hijack it with Do posts) to drum up some early interest.

Also, thanks to James (aka jmd4211) from the Sheraton Fota Island for answering some questions already. It is his fault that we are thinking of a Do in Cork and descending en masse to his hotel and the Cork area.

Also, JAP - you shall have mail in the next 24 hours.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jmd4211
Also look at Ryanair.com - horrible service but usually the cheapest prices.

Also look at Dublin/Shannon as an alternative route - the wider choices available into Dublin usually make for a cheaper alternative. There is a very efficient train service between Cork and Dublin, and flights also cheap (Aer Arran and Ryanair again).

Shouldnt cost you too much if you take the local flights out of the overall picture, and price them seperately.
Alas, no Oneworld to ORK.

Looks like the train ride from Dublin is about 3 hours. Not bad on the outbound, but on Sunday, the first Cork - Dublin train is at 8:30am, missing AA93 back to ORD.

Decisions, decisions...

~$200 LHR-ORK on EI.

Last edited by Spiff; Aug 28, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.