"Pop the Cork Do": Cork, Ireland 6th - 8th June 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

Pop the Cork!

Hello everyone. After some recent discussion on the SPG board, a few of us thought it might be a nice idea to have another do in Ireland. This time it is the turn of Cork in Southern Ireland to act as host to the Flyertalk community.

The Sheraton Fota Island is kindly going to act as the focal point for the do (although people can stay elsewhere if they choose) and a special guaranteed rate of €155 per night has been arranged. SPG members can also choose to redeem miles for their stay as per usual program rules.

More details about the Sheraton Fota Island can be found at http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1749

More details about the Fota Island development including the Golf Course can be found at http://www.fotaisland.ie/

To give everyone plenty of time to arrange those vacation plans, work trips and get those excuses to attend ready, the date has been set for the weekend of Friday 6th to Sunday 8th June 2008. People are welcome to come earlier or stay later than the weekend of the do though if they so wish, especially as there is plenty to enjoy in the Cork area as well as Ireland as a whole.

Full plans for the weekend are currently being arranged, but any suggestions are still welcomed. The hotel has a very nice spa and a golf course, so there are further good leisure options as well.

After canvassing early interest in attending the do, we now already have enough tentative interest to go ahead and make it happen. If you might be able to come and are not already on the list, then feel free to declare it below

Likewise if anyone has any questions, suggestions or offers of help, then post them here or drop me a PM.

Thanks.

RAPC

------------------------------------
Currently Confirmed
RAPC + Mrs RAPC
jhm
sven60035
PhilH

Currently Interested:

Friends of RAPC
lucky9876coins
Starwood Lurker
Spiff
skye1
SkiAdcock
JAP
More Champagne Sir? (* subject to the 'it's a long way away' caveat!)
gvdIAD
oiRRio (subject being in Ireland)
writetorich (I'll give you more notice next time...)
Steady-EDI
Prospero
SeeYa
IluvParis
monitor (considering)
boxo
ziti 2
kevincm (subject to flights etc)
vysean
Aerotec
AusTXHiker
GoingAway
jan_az
DJ Bitterbarn
tcsswede
Showbizguru
cpx

Last edited by RAPC; Apr 13, 2008 at 3:23 pm Reason: updated the first post as well as the interested and confirmed list - thanks everyone so far
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, I've always wanted to visit Ireland, and this sounds like a fantastic opportunity! Please put me down as a maybe for now.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:22 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
The Mrs. and I are going to do everything within our power to be there. ^

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
If we hadn't just been we would be there in 08 in a heartbeat. The Sheraton Fota was the highlight of our holiday ^^
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'm extremely interested. ^ ^
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Have always have a fantastic time at Ireland Do's...put me down as a maybe at this point, and can confrim as the date gets closer. ^
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Hmmm, I've always wanted to visit Ireland, and this sounds like a fantastic opportunity! Please put me down as a maybe for now.
Ditto! Hope I can make it.

Of course now the other big question - is there a Marriott or Hilton nearby?

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Of course now the other big question - is there a Marriott or Hilton nearby?
You are out of luck for both Marriott and Hilton I'm afraid. The only other major hotel group in the Cork area that I know of is SAS Radisson. There are however some very nice Marriott's elsewhere in Ireland if you can make it over to the do and can tie in some time elsewhere. The Marriott Druids Glen near Dublin and The Shelbourne in Dublin proper are both worth a stay. I'm not at all clued up on the Hiltons in Ireland though.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If I come over am thinking of extending the stay & will look for Marriott/Hilton in Dublin, and slum it (kidding!) w/ the rest of you at the Sheraton Fora Isle.

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:41 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by RAPC
You are out of luck for both Marriott and Hilton I'm afraid. The only other major hotel group in the Cork area that I know of is SAS Radisson. There are however some very nice Marriott's elsewhere in Ireland if you can make it over to the do and can tie in some time elsewhere. The Marriott Druids Glen near Dublin and The Shelbourne in Dublin proper are both worth a stay. I'm not at all clued up on the Hiltons in Ireland though.
we stayed at the Druids Marriott - OK. The nearest Hilton is the Conrad Mount Juliet, which was a maginficent stay, and only surpassed by the Sheraton Fota.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I'm in for sure - strange to go to a Do by car though, rather than by plane - seems all wrong to me. Ask not what your Board acn do your you...

I expect jmd4211 will be popping up soon - he was very helpful to a large number of FTers when we did the Shamrock Do 2 years ago in Dublin, and I expect he'll be just as nice now he's in Cork.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Sep 1, 2007 at 8:41 am Reason: Typos, always typos...
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:11 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I suppose it would be silly of me to say that I'm not interested, especially since I live here

I will be happy to assist in co-ordinating the local activities here in Cork.

The Sheraton Fota Island is a pretty nice spot, but is a little out on its' own, so transport will be important.

The Radisson SAS is also close enough, but is located on the edge of an industrial area ... Hotel is nice though ...

If you have lots of cash to spend, the Capella Castlemartyr is €400+ per night and just opened - the second hotel worldwide in this new chain of ultra-luxe locations, founded by the guy that ran (founded?) Ritz-Carlton. It is maybe 10 mins away from the Sheraton.

There are quite a few nice hotels in Cork city itself, but not many chain (i.e. points-earning ones). The top 4 or 5 on Tripadvisor could all be recommended.

Some possible things to do for the weekend you're here:-
  • Visit Kinsale and eat in Fishy-Fishy Cafe (or other equally excellent restaurant!!)
  • Visit Cobh, just down the road from the Sheraton and see the Titanic museum
  • Play golf at any one of 3 or 4 superb courses within 25 miles
  • Take a walk (or possibly walking tour) around Cork City - a very walkable city
  • Visit Cork Opera House or a Theatre for a bit of Irish culture
  • Visit many different styles of Irish pub for another bit of real Irish culture !!
  • Take in a trad music session somewhere
  • Visit Youghal for the superb walking beach, and possibly eat at Aherns Seafood Restaurant
  • Take in a local GAA game of hurling or gaelic football

So, let's get a dialogue going - I'll be happy to help any way I can...

And well done with the dates, by the way ^ - the weekend before is a holiday weekend, which would be manic and difficult to arrange many events ...
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by RAPC
The Sheraton Fota Island is kindly going to act as the focal point for the do (although people can stay elsewhere if they choose) and a special guaranteed rate of €155 per night has been arranged. SPG members can also choose to redeem miles for their stay as per usual program rules.

More details about the Sheraton Fota Island can be found at http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1749
Foolish question, but is that €155 rate cancellable? I see an internet only rate of €150 that is pre-paid/non-cancellable.

At today's Euro/Bush Peso exchange rate, that's:

150.00 EUR = 205.111 USD
Euro United States Dollars
1 EUR = 1.36741 USD 1 USD = 0.731311 EUR

So, I hope they'll come down, or I'll get more Starpoints somewhere....
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA
Please put me down as a:

"I'd very much like to be there but it's a very long way away still, so I'll tentatively say yes "
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Please put me down as a:

"I'd very much like to be there but it's a very long way away still, so I'll tentatively say yes "
What he said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.