FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   LinkedIN - how many folks use it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/712255-linkedin-how-many-folks-use.html)

Efrem Sep 25, 2007 11:17 am

Those who use (or are considering using) LinkedIn or similar sites might be interested in this short Wall Street Journal article by Marshall Loeb about maximizing its business value.

pbjag Sep 26, 2007 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal (Post 8221272)
Etiquette question:

I deal with numerous "vendors" on my day-to-day job. I've noticed a few of them are either in my 3rd level referrals, or easily found by searches on their company name.

You may want to be cautious here. I receive many invitations from vendors who seem to be hoping to mine my list of blue chip list of contacts. I'll only invite or accept an invitation from a supplier with whom I have personally worked and would unequivocally recommend.

UAVirgin Sep 26, 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by pbjag (Post 8466522)
You may want to be cautious here. I receive many invitations from vendors who seem to be hoping to mine my list of blue chip list of contacts. I'll only invite or accept an invitation from a supplier with whom I have personally worked and would unequivocally recommend.

Good advice. But, keep in mind just because they can see your contacts (if you let them) they would have to go directly through you for a recommendation on LinkedIn. You can decline to recommend or connect someone which would mean you were not endorsing that person/vendor.

stimpy Oct 22, 2007 1:47 am

Was there a news article in Belgium recently about LinkedIN? All of a sudden Belgium is the fastest growing area in my LinkedIN network. Several thousand new entries. NYC is second place with only 700.

Gaucho100K Oct 22, 2007 7:30 am

I wonder how many FTers that are on LinkedIN have this as part of their profile.... sounds like a good way to have folks on this board also connect on LindedIN.

KathyWdrf Oct 22, 2007 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 8601014)
I wonder how many FTers that are on LinkedIN have this as part of their profile.... sounds like a good way to have folks on this board also connect on LindedIN.

It is possible to set up a formal special interest group on LinkedIn, and perhaps someone will volunteer to set one up for FlyerTalk members. Many such groups already exist on LinkedIn (college alumni groups, former employees of various companies, other types of organizations).

However, I think a lot of people are reluctant to list FlyerTalk as an interest (or they list it cryptically), because 1) They might not want to send prospective employers over to this board to see how nutty FTers are and/or 2) being a "frequent traveler" might look bad (i.e., an indication that one takes a lot of vacations).

Of course, one could also put a positive spin on FT membership, at least for employers where there is frequent business travel! ;)

Gaucho100K Oct 24, 2007 6:21 pm

So then... why not start a special group? After all, membership is not compulsory.

KathyWdrf Oct 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 8617010)
So then... why not start a special group? After all, membership is not compulsory.

Indeed, why not?

I personally do not want to be in charge of starting and managing the FlyerTalk group on LinkedIn. The duties would include approving requests to join the group (which would probably involve some sort of vetting, at the very least, confirming that the prospective member is actually a member of FT, and perhaps imposing some other minimum requirements).

Maybe someone else could volunteer, though. @:-)

welookgood.com Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm

If anyone wants to be added to my network, pm/email me

To all those interested in networking on LinkedIn. I set up a Flyertalk group there.

To join go to:
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/39534/07FBBB4E6FA1

Will I be able to contact fellow group members? (the benefit of joining the group)
Yes. Each member of a group decides how fellow group members can contact him/her. Since group members share an affinity and are usually open to interacting with fellow group members, most LinkedIn users allow fellow group members to contact one another without referral. This is a setting that each group member can change from his/her homepage.

Can I get spammed by other members of the group?
No. LinkedIn Groups is designed specifically for the individual and not as a groupwide communications tool. Therefore, there is no way for an individual user to send broadcast messages to all members of the group.

Do I still need to connect to someone if they’re already in my group? I thought that by being in a group, they don’t have to connect to me?
Connecting to someone establishes them as a trusted person within your personal network, beyond the trust that was created through your mutual membership in an affinity organization. As part of your personal network, you are able to view and search through their network and vice versa.

How do I quit my group?
You are free to withdraw from a group at anytime. Just go to the group settings page and click the link to leave the group.

jlr4travel Oct 30, 2007 4:45 am

I'm on linkedin. have been for about a year now.
Has been a great networking tool for me in my industry

KathyWdrf Oct 31, 2007 7:13 am

Originally Posted by welookgood.com (Post 8622000)
To all those interested in networking on LinkedIn. I set up a Flyertalk group there.

To join go to:

Is the FlyerTalk group public or private? In other words, is membership in this group visible to non-group members, or only to other FlyerTalk group members?

yosithezet Oct 31, 2007 9:05 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf (Post 8651133)
Is the FlyerTalk group public or private? In other words, is membership in this group visible to non-group members, or only to other FlyerTalk group members?

There is a setting for you to determine if you want the logo to display or not to non-members. There is another setting to determine if you will allow other members to directly contact you.

yosithezet Oct 31, 2007 9:08 am

I am in the Forbes Life and Personal Tech groups on LinkedIn. Have seen no value. Am I missing something.

welookgood.com Nov 3, 2007 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 8651790)
I am in the Forbes Life and Personal Tech groups on LinkedIn. Have seen no value. Am I missing something.

A group with a random membership has less value than a group who share a common interest

To join go to:

coachrowsey Nov 3, 2007 7:23 pm

I get an invite once in a while but choose not to use it.