FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   LinkedIN - how many folks use it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/712255-linkedin-how-many-folks-use.html)

Gaucho100K Jul 10, 2007 10:04 am

Ive now been reading that there are a couple of militant detractors of this site because some folks have been using it to SPAM and make "unsolicited" sales calls....

I guess that the bottom line is that, as many things out there, LinkedIN is not perfect, but from what Ive been experiencing so far, if you are cautious about who you add and, (more importantly) which others you allow to add youself to their network, it can be a powerful resource.

u600213 Jul 10, 2007 10:26 am

I'm there because someone invited me to join their network but don't visit the site much.

Efrem Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

A caution...

I just got a PM from an FTer asking for an invitation. I checked this FTer out and found that s/he has 1,300+ posts, some of them in "junk" threads like OMNI counting threads, but enough with real content to convince me that this was a legitimate request from a legitimate person who would in all likelihood use LinkedIn as intended.

(I declined anyhow, for reasons that are off-topic here, but that's not the point.)

However - I urge everyone here to check out requests carefully. FT is a public bulletin board. Anyone can register. Anyone can read this thread. Anyone can PM a poster in it. If you send an invitation to whoever does, you're connecting them to your network, potentially exposing your friends and (ex-)colleagues to unwanted electronic intrusions, etc. - for which they'll blame you.

You don't have to be as picky as I am about who you invite, but do a bit of "due diligence" checking of anyone who requests from here.

techgirl Jul 10, 2007 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 8033103)
You don't have to be as picky as I am about who you invite, but do a bit of "due diligence" checking of anyone who requests from here.

Good point. My rule of thumb on adds is that I will only add individuals who I have met personally and (beyond that) who I know a bit about as far as their business/professional life. LinkedIN is definitely a business (not social) networking site and its important to remember that our own reputations are affected by the company we supposedly keep. ;)

cpx Jul 10, 2007 12:03 pm

I know of a few FTers who use LinkedIn.. I use it too.

Note: I do not put my current company name.. just a general description to keep recruiters from calling me.
If you have your company name and location in there.. its easy for them to guess your company's main line and ask
for you.

dodo Jul 10, 2007 12:05 pm

Have been on it since 2004 but I do choose my connections- thus I am only in the low double digits instead of 500+ that I see sometimes. It is mainly to stay in touch with old colleagues and members in my industry.

Owlchick Jul 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl (Post 8033601)
Good point. My rule of thumb on adds is that I will only add individuals who I have met personally and (beyond that) who I know a bit about as far as their business/professional life. LinkedIN is definitely a business (not social) networking site and its important to remember that our own reputations are affected by the company we supposedly keep. ;)

That's how I treat it. I've received requests from people that used to work for the same company I did, but if I don't remember them, I've asked them to clarify exactly how they know me. If they don't respond, then they're just looking for numbers (or my contacts), and I won't add them.

Gaucho100K Jul 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Is there some sort of tangible benefit in getting these increased numbers on LinkedIN...? Or is it just a post count thing like here on FT...? :D

virtualdoc Jul 10, 2007 12:21 pm

LinkIn

I use infrequently

Owlchick Jul 10, 2007 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 8033739)
Is there some sort of tangible benefit in getting these increased numbers on LinkedIN...? Or is it just a post count thing like here on FT...? :D

It's probably the latter. It seems that the folks with 500+ links are recruiters. :)

ElmhurstNick Jul 10, 2007 1:04 pm

I use it as I was able to find a lost friend from college (it came up on a web search of his name), but on a very limited basis. A few current coworkers, a few ex-coworkers, a couple of friends from college.

Scott in LA Jul 10, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm signed up, but I've never used it for any sort of actual business reason. All of my contacts (all of a dozen or so) are either former co-workers/friends from school that I'd fallen out of touch with and used this to get back in contact, or current co-workers who must have sent invites to everyone they knew in the company (why do I need to have you as a contact if I sit across the hall from you?).

opus17 Jul 10, 2007 6:59 pm

I've been using it for close to 3 years. But I've been in the same industry since 1978, so networking is important.

Middle_Seat Jul 10, 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 8030999)
I'm in because my company uses it, but personally I don't really like it. I much prefer www.xing.com , where there is a considerable group of FTers (search for Flyertalk in interests).

I signed up for Xing but don't find "interests." Where is it?

tashi Jul 10, 2007 9:48 pm

I use facebook and got my entire family and friends on it... My former two employers have a huge network on it (over 50000 people each) so I was able to find lots of former colleagues.