FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   LinkedIN - how many folks use it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/712255-linkedin-how-many-folks-use.html)

Gaucho100K Jul 9, 2007 11:54 am

LinkedIN - how many folks use it?

I recently discovered linkedIN (actually, through a fellow FTer). Just wondering how many of us are listed and use this great service.

Efrem Jul 9, 2007 2:31 pm

I'm there. So far no FTers, but I got an invite from one a few days ago and will accept.

Gaucho100K Jul 9, 2007 4:29 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

Wow... nobody else?

ShopAround Jul 9, 2007 5:03 pm

I'm listed because a friend encouraged me to do so, but don't actually use it. Occasionally I get an email inviting me to join someone's network, but I've never initiated contact with anyone.

Gaucho100K, what do you use linkedIN for?

Gaucho100K Jul 9, 2007 5:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

lm using it to get back in touch with former colleagues. lt may also be a way to get some business referrals, I have to see how that works out.

philfna Jul 9, 2007 6:25 pm

I use linked in. If you want to join my network im me...:-)

blort Jul 9, 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 8028747)
lm using it to get back in touch with former colleagues.

That's what I use it for. I've had what I would consider pretty good luck -- usually about half the time, I'm able to find the person I'm looking for.

alect Jul 9, 2007 9:24 pm

I'm there - and quite a few of my colleagues and former colleagues. Happy to connect with FTers.

I am not yet convinced about its value in networking.

cordelli Jul 9, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm on it but don't really use it. If anybody wants to build their link numbers, invite me, I'll accept.

I did find some co-workers I lost touch of last week without even looking for them on linked in, it was kind of weird, it suggested several people I worked with.

itsaboutthejourney Jul 9, 2007 9:38 pm

I'm on it and think it's useful as sort of a professional version of MySpace.

(BTW: there is a big thread in OMNI about LinkedIn with all the usual opinions.)

airoli Jul 10, 2007 2:54 am

I'm in because my company uses it, but personally I don't really like it. I much prefer www.xing.com , where there is a considerable group of FTers (search for Flyertalk in interests).

wharvey Jul 10, 2007 5:29 am

I use Linkedin.

lucky9876coins Jul 10, 2007 5:35 am

And I have absolutely no clue what it is...:o

BamaVol Jul 10, 2007 7:22 am

I'm there, but only have a dozen or so links. I don't use it for much, but I periodically look for folks I worked with in the past. I found one a couple months ago that I hadn't communicated with in over 15 years and I heard last week from a former co-worker that I had lost touch with at least 5 years ago.

techgirl Jul 10, 2007 9:36 am

I use it, primarily to keep up with what former colleagues are doing and do a bit of business networking, but I've also linked-in with a few FTers.