Munich Dinner 17 February 7:00PM Presidents Day Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Dinner 17 February 7:00PM Presidents Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:16 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Well, I'm going to miss out on your knucklin' good time. I'll be thinking of you all from AMS.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
I've sent the participants a physical description of me and I'm enjoying some beautiful, sunny weather!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:57 am

Great haxen (and schnitzel), and Bier and wine and other stuff last night at the Haxnbauer. When last seen, tazi and SeeYa were off in search of an open watering hole about midnight, with mutterings about a trip to Salzburg the next morning (i.e., today).

If anyone's interested, Plus Ein and I will be at the Augustiner Grossgaststätte about 7 PM (on the peasant side, without tablecloths) for a beer and soup or salad or something. Join us if you're hungry, thirsty, or just want to chat.

The Augustiner is on Neuhauserstrasse, near Karlsplatz (Stachus). If coming from Marienplatz, walk up Kaufingerstr. (the shopping street going toward the main train station), which turns into Neuhauserstrasse just past the twin-domed cathedral. The Augustiner is about 100 meters short of the arch (Stachus) on the left as you're walking toward the arch from Marienplatz. On the building is a huge poster of a naked "mature" woman (strategically posed) with the slogan "Beauty knows no age" in German. I defy you to miss it.

Fasching is in full swing. Groucho glasses for me.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:13 am

P.S. Plus Ein has been trying to post, but for some reason the board is blocking her. We'll try to sort it out, and maybe when the board un-glitches (if ever), she'll join us here on the Board.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:52 am

Great dinner last night!

Counsellor: I am in an internet cafe not too far from the restaurant where you will be having dinner so rather than walk back to my hotel, I will just hang out here and meet you for dinner.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
It was wonderful meeting with all. I'm posting from the LH Senator's lounge, where I just bid farewell to Alysia. Once again, I'm impressed by the low cost of visiting Munich.^
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Great haxen (and schnitzel), and Bier and wine and other stuff last night at the Haxnbauer. When last seen, tazi and SeeYa were off in search of an open watering hole about midnight, with mutterings about a trip to Salzburg the next morning (i.e., today).
We found several bars after leaving you and, even so, still managed to catch our train to Salzburg.

=Counsellor]If anyone's interested, Plus Ein and I will be at the Augustiner Grossgaststätte about 7 PM (on the peasant side, without tablecloths) for a beer and soup or salad or something. Join us if you're hungry, thirsty, or just want to chat.
We were there at the same time on the non-peasant side! I was even practicing my newly found coaster flipping skills.

It was a wonderful dinner and a great time. Thanks to Sunnyhere for organizing.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:49 pm

P.S. Plus Ein has been trying to post, but for some reason the board is blocking her. We'll try to sort it out, and maybe when the board un-glitches (if ever), she'll join us here on the Board.
Oh, she has to join. I look forward to seeing her post
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hi All - Missed the DO by a week but am here now and am interested in the Augustiner Grossgaststätte based on your reviews.

Does anyone know how late they are open? I checked their website but didn't see hours mentioned.

Thanks!

Sean
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by vysean
Hi All - Missed the DO by a week but am here now and am interested in the Augustiner Grossgaststätte based on your reviews.

Does anyone know how late they are open? I checked their website but didn't see hours mentioned.

Thanks!

Sean
Very good choice! We had a wonderful time there. Not surre how late they are open as SeeYa made me leave before the place closed.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tazi
Very good choice! We had a wonderful time there. Not surre how late they are open as SeeYa made me leave before the place closed.
I got over there ten minutes before they stopped serving dinner (10:50pm) - they served me though. I was looking forward to the mushroom soup Alysia mentioned, but didn't see it on the menu.

Oh well, I got my "ein mass" and was happy as a clam...

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Sean
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:25 am

I got over there ten minutes before they stopped serving dinner (10:50pm) - they served me though. I was looking forward to the mushroom soup Alysia mentioned, but didn't see it on the menu.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Sean
I never looked at a menu there. Counsellor asked me if I liked mushroom soup. I said I did so he ordered it for me.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:10 am

Technically, you're right -- grammatically it should be "ein Mass".

However, in Bavaria (or maybe just in Munich), when filled with beer, the "Mass" ("measure") becomes weiblich (feminine) and thus "eine Mass, bitte" is what one orders.

I was told that this error in gender (as well as people eating the Weißwurst the wrong way) are ways true Münchners tell the tourists apart from the locals, even if you are wearing Trachten (Lederhosen and Dirndls).

Maybe a true Münchner or Münchnerin can tell us whether I've been hoaxed.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Alysia
I never looked at a menu there. Counsellor asked me if I liked mushroom soup. I said I did so he ordered it for me.
I don't know whether they list it in the English language version of the menu, since it's somewhat seasonal and not offered year-round. If you don't read German, you can ask the waiter/waitress.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:22 am

I don't know whether they list it in the English language version of the menu, since it's somewhat seasonal and not offered year-round. If you don't read German, you can ask the waiter/waitress.
It has been suggested that I give a bit more information than "ask a waitress" so here goes:

Look on the menu under the heading "Aus dem Suppentopf" ("From the soup pot").

If you see "Bayerische Schwammerlsuppe von frischen Waldpilzen" that's it.

Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.