Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Quite a few posters on this thread have expressed a wish to meet with BEYFlyer and myself.

I, personally, would be very happy to be able to be at the same Meet as BEYFlyer and trust it will happen some day.

In the meantime, I can only offer you half the dinner. I will be going to a Meet in Florida in December and, if we get enough interest, another one in Milan or Lugano later in the month.

If you are interested in either, please post on the corresponding thread.

(For new members, all you have to do to get to the thread is to click on the blue letters in my signature -- either "PBI-FLL" or "Lugano", whichever your prefer.)

Last edited by Dovster; Oct 30, 2006 at 7:16 am
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:41 am
Original Poster

From Post # 602 on this thread, dated July 16:

Originally Posted by Dovster
... BEYFlyer will be able to get out of the mountains and my daughter can get her wish of dragging me to the shopping mall in Rosh Pina.

She always tells me (before we get into the car) that she wants me to come with her when she buys clothing because she values my "opinion". When we get there, I find out that "opinion", in Hebrew, translates to "Visa Card".
This is Saturday, the Jewish sabbath, and most shops are closed today. The sabbath, however, ends at sundown and my daughter has, indeed, informed me that we are heading to that mall in Rosh Pina.

(This is the first weekend since the shooting stopped that all the stores are open.)

If you never see my green light turned on again, it won't be because Hizbollah hit my house. After this evening, I simply won't be able to afford to pay for electricity.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
hehehe ... Run North towards the Lebanese border and ask for Uncontrolled Credit Card Spending Asylum (or UCCSA for short, of course)... hehehe ...

Guys and gals, I am really sorry about not being able to make any of Dov's DOs in 2006. I never really thought that we would get something going so soon. I have a few things lined up for the rest of the year and God willing, I hope to go through with them. We can work on something for early next year and then I can plan 2007 accordingly. Enjoy meeting Dov (or should I say good luck ) and I am sure we'll soon have a DOV&BEY Meet/DO ^ ...
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:38 am

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
BEY--

You have probably mentioned this before, but for some reason I recall you saying that you spent a few years in the States getting your business degree. I wanted to know how long you actually lived in the US because your facile use of English and idioms, etc., is no different from an American-born fellow, and I find that astonishing. My foreign-born husband has been here over 20 years and although he speaks English very well, his spelling is laughable. But he never went to school here or wrote papers for classes, etc--maybe that's what does it.

You also once said that you spoke English growing up with your family while still in Lebannon, which I find interesting too, because I thought educated types there spoke French. Is it that your parents traveled a lot for the business and wanted the kids to learn English? Do you conduct a lot of your business in English? You must be considered the bi-lingual whiz of your family!! I am impressed, that's all....
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:49 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Alaska Airlines Milage Plan, SAS Eurobonus
Dovster and BEYFlyer, sorry about responding late to some posts here, but I have been swamped with commitments the last few days. It have taken me 3-4 hours to catch up on the tread! Seems like both side is getting used to the prospect of peace on either side of the border!! Hope it holds!

Let's be clear about something: BEYFlyer and I were just two people who happened to be in the wrong places at the right time.
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
I must agree with what Dov said earlier with regard to this thread. We were but a simple link in this amazing chain. Everyone who posted here with questions, prayers, good wishes and those who sent us private messages must be thanked, for as Dov said, without them, without their input, this would've been just a very bland taco. So thank you to our sour creams, our fried onions, peppers, cilantros and guacamoles, chipotles, salsas and limes, etc, who have made this such a delicious thread ... Yummy...
Dovster and BEYFlyer, You both did a wonderful service to the world (and still do by) posting what happen to you and after the stop in shooting about the culture and life of the area! Great!!

BEYFlyer, the above foodstuff is great , but you forgot yummy stuff like lutefisk, and Gammelost (Old Cheese) good old Norwegian standbys!

By the way I would prefer a steak or a fajita instead my self. ^ ^

Quite a few posters on this thread have expressed a wish to meet with BEYFlyer and myself.
..Guys and gals, I am really sorry about not being able to make any of Dov's DOs in 2006. I never really thought that we would get something going so soon. I have a few things lined up for the rest of the year and God willing, I hope to go through with them. We can work on something for early next year and then I can plan 2007 accordingly. Enjoy meeting Dov (or should I say good luck ) and I am sure we'll soon have a DOV&BEY Meet/DO ^ ...
Hope that both of you can make 1, or 2 or more meets next year when plans can be settled down so as many as possible can get to meet both of you!
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Again, I am not very familiar with my religion as I haven't studied the scriptures of our religion. I don't have to study them; I know what is good and bad and how to "behave" thanks to what my parents have taught me (they have not studied the scriptures) who, in turn, were taught by their parents, etc.
If only more people lived like this :-: :-: :-: :-: :-: ^
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Yaroun

Yesterday evenings NBC news had a segment on Yaroun. One of the statements made was that 75% of the Yaroun's homeowners are Americans. It also discussed briefly the exodus during the conflict of 40 vehicles and interviews with some of the evacuees.

Perhaps this explains Dov's comments on little activity in the village across the border.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:52 am
Original Poster

I don't want to get overly dramatic about this, but there were two explosions within the last three or four minutes.

I have no idea of what they were. They could, conceivably have been bombs at a fairly long distance from my home or they could have been rockets which landed perhaps a kilometer away.

----

Okay, as I was typing that there was a third explosion and then I got an SMS message saying, "The IDF is conducting an operation exploding bunkers across the border in our area."
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by opushomes
Perhaps this explains Dov's comments on little activity in the village across the border.
There was little activity there at first but much more later on. It is possible that after the Americans left, Hizbollah moved into Yaroun.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
From the Montgomery (Alabama) Advertiser:

A Trip to the country: Montgomery's first Israel Fair includes fun events, religious awarement."If you've never been to Israel, you are in luck. On Sunday, the Jewish Federation of Central Alabama will bring part of Israel to you, featuring films, culture, and products from this Middle East country.

It will be the closest thing to being there, said Micka Ribak, an emissary from Israel who helped put the Jewish Federation-sponsored attraction together.
"I came here (from Israel) and talked to alot of churches and found that there was alot of love for Israel but also alot of questions," she said. "This fair showcases the mutual love among the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities."

Ribak says that recent events in the Middle East make the Israel fair even more important, although this event was planned before the recent unease over there."

Not the entire article, but thought it may interest you that Alabamians are learning. I had hoped to attend this event, however, between domestic chores screaming to be completed, and watching all the sad news today (and other news as well, seeing that a hurricane will be lurking in our Gulf again) I didn't get to go, unfortunately. But thankfully, I've already learned much I didn't know about Israel from Dov, here on FT.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Hanlgt
...I wanted to know how long you actually lived in the US because your facile use of English and idioms, etc., is no different from an American-born fellow, and I find that astonishing...

...Is it that your parents traveled a lot for the business and wanted the kids to learn English? Do you conduct a lot of your business in English? You must be considered the bi-lingual whiz of your family!! I am impressed, that's all....
If we take my years in undergraduate and graduate schools and my time working in the U.S., you can say I spent about 10 years out there (and they were 10 wonderful years).

My father always encouraged us to speak in English at home because he knew that sooner or later, we would have to leave Lebanon (for the UK or the U.S.) for our higher education. Not that Lebanon didn't have good colleges, but dad was looking towards graduate school really (our graduate programs here in Lebanon are not that well established). Every summer, my dad would give me a copy of Readers Digest and have me summarize the stories in there and memorize the vocabulary words and use them in sentences.

We are all bi-lingual if you consider Arabic as our first language and English as our second language. Indeed, many of us here in Lebanon are tri-lingual (Arabic, English and French). And yes, most of us here (like many other around the world) conduct business in English.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Guys and gals, I am really sorry about not being able to make any of Dov's DOs in 2006. I never really thought that we would get something going so soon. I have a few things lined up for the rest of the year and God willing, I hope to go through with them.
BEYFlyer, we certainly understand your situation and will put no pressure on you.

All those coming to either the PBI-FLL or Lugano Meets: Start sending tons of PMs to BEYFlyer urging him to come. The more pressure we can put on him, the better our chances will be.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:30 am

Pressure pushing down on me, pressing down on you, no man ask for
Under pressure...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
My father always encouraged us to speak in English at home because he knew that sooner or later, we would have to leave Lebanon (for the UK or the U.S.) for our higher education. Not that Lebanon didn't have good colleges, but dad was looking towards graduate school really (our graduate programs here in Lebanon are not that well established). Every summer, my dad would give me a copy of Readers Digest and have me summarize the stories in there and memorize the vocabulary words and use them in sentences.
That is a great idea! I've been remiss in not speaking to my kids English though it is my native tongue. They are now 8 and 5 and coming off a full summer in the US so hopefully I'll be more mindful of this and continue the good base they now have. Once they can read I'll have to go this route of Reader's Digest although the Jerusalem Post has a kids magazine that might work just as well.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you BeyFlyer for your explanation. I too had been wondering how you had developed such excellent English language skills. You are very lucky to have such intelligent, insightful parents, as I am sure you already know.

Whenever you are available for a party, I look forward to meeting you in real life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.