FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   London Do: November 11, 12, 2006 (Remembrance Day and Veterans Weekend) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/528229-london-do-november-11-12-2006-remembrance-day-veterans-weekend.html)

swissytrader Feb 20, 2006 3:54 am

I'll be able to make the saturday.

Moomba Feb 20, 2006 4:04 am

Sign me up.

LapLap Feb 20, 2006 4:13 am

I'll be there too.

(I love this advance notice!)

Standby4321 Feb 20, 2006 4:19 am

Sounds interesting and it's a great time of year to work it into the strategy for hitting levels. I can't commit just yet because the fares aren't there for me, but it could happen. :)

Jenbel Feb 20, 2006 4:28 am

It's exactly why we give a lot of advance notice - so that people can work it into their forward planning and have a lot of time to look for fares :)

LapLap Feb 20, 2006 4:40 am

SanDiego1K

I’m going to keep my eyes open for any central Travelodges that turn up at their Supersaver £10 rate.

Namely (and in this order) the High Holborn, Convent Garden, or any of the Kings Cross hotels (Farringdon, Islington, Kings Cross) – perhaps Liverpool Street too if it’s at the £10 rate.

These bookings are non-refundable – it’s possible they’ll only appear (if at all) about 2 months before the date.

The question is, would anyone else be interested? If so, let me know.

Just for information, the Islington Travelodge (near Kings Cross) has rooms available for £26 for 11th November (including ‘family rooms’ with sofas and triple rooms). The biggest problem is that they won't hold onto your bags - under any circumstances - outside yor check in/out times.

Andrius Feb 20, 2006 4:54 am

Count me in! ^

Jenbel Feb 20, 2006 4:57 am

LapLap good idea. From what I've seen at the dos I've been to, while some come and stay in their hotel chains for points, status and perks, others just want a reasonably priced room and a bed - and reasonably priced in London is hard to come by!

loobtastic Feb 20, 2006 4:58 am

I would love to come. I will have to pray to the god of scheduling to ensure that I'm off. Put me down as a possible.

GoldCircle Feb 20, 2006 5:21 am

I'll be there - just finished one Doo, should be ready for another by then! :cool:

kawoh Feb 20, 2006 5:22 am

london!

How cool, I am getting transferred to London permanently in August, so this will be perfect, count me in as CONFIRMED! Can't wait!!

Done a little research, if you want to book some fully flexible accomodation early, nothing fancy try:

http://www.hilton.com - the hilton london olympia and hilton kensington regularly track at about GBP79.90 per night + taxes, plus if you're gold, you get breakfast or lounge access at the kensington.

http://www.ibishotels.com - the ibis earls court is zone 1 and is close to the tube, room rates always track at GBP59.90 to GBP69.90 per night + taxes.

I'm sure there are cheaper places there I just know the olympia and the ibis earls court because they are dog friendly too! The rates are reasonable considering they are fully flexible and you could go for priceline closer to the dates...

Andrius Feb 20, 2006 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
(...) while some come and stay in their hotel chains for points, status and perks, others just want a reasonably priced room and a bed - and reasonably priced in London is hard to come by!

Jenbel my friend you are on a very dangerous territory! ;)

"just a reasonably priced room and bed"... What's next, I pray?

i dont care about all these points and miles and tiers and status and lounges, all i want is to travel from point A to point B Bcuz all air travel is nothing but enveromentally irresponsibel but in my case unavoideble evil and the less time I spend doing it the better!!! all airports are clearly the same and all the airlines are the same they all charge for excess luggage and it's not fair coz it's not only my stuff i carry around but it's for my friends as well - and airlines are evil cuz they never up-grade me to first class or whatever and that i have the cheapest ticket doesnt mean i dont deserve to lie down and have a drink like a human being deserves!!! everyun should be able 2 have a go at travling in biz class not just stuck-up businessmen and bankers who are all corperate thieves!!!

Ooops... Wrong forum :D

Markie Feb 20, 2006 5:49 am

I have put it in the diary in the hope of being at home that weekend!

TRAVELSIG Feb 20, 2006 8:15 am

What a great idea. I plan to attend (now...to get the I class CE ticket)

SkiAdcock Feb 20, 2006 8:21 am

I'm a maybe. Too early to confirm but if the travel gods & client base allows I'll be a definite. Cheers.