What's a Flyertalk DO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's a Flyertalk DO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
Shhhh... heads are shrinking as you type. </font>
Meanwhile, continuing to build my own sordid reputation:

In the Oxford English Dictionary (OED2 on CD-ROM, version 1.14, copyright 1994), the earliest citation of "do" meaning "party" dates from 1824. (And of course, words are often common currency in the vernacular long before they show up in print.) Is anyone on FT ready to claim that they were born, oh, about 200 years ago?

Kathy
Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
You left out the attribution of those three (yes, THREE!) quotes!</font>
Try Googling

"to do is to be"+"to be is to do"

including quote marks and plus sign. Aw, heck, you were too lazy to do it in the first place, so just go here. There isn't exactly consensus on who said what.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:24 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
Originally posted by techgirl:
Shhhh... heads are shrinking as you type. </font>
Meanwhile, continuing to build my own sordid reputation:

In the Oxford English Dictionary (OED2 on CD-ROM, version 1.14, copyright 1994), the earliest citation of "do" meaning "party" dates from 1824. (And of course, words are often common currency in the vernacular long before they show up in print.) Is anyone on FT ready to claim that they were born, oh, about 200 years ago?

Kathy
Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
arturo jus tern 201 thes yeer, thanx two thes new joose frum the agave plant, thet mak yu jus doo et.

------------------
Loving, Caring, Honest, Intelligent, Empathetic, Creative, and Giving©.

[This message has been edited by arturo (edited 01-22-2003).]
Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:49 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

For the record, I think DOC got it a bit mixed up.

I was the first Flyertalker to USE the word DO to describe a gathering of Flyertalkers.

October, 1999, NYC. We had about a dozen guests, most goign to the dinner at the West Bank cafe.

Here is a link describing what a DO is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/002054.html

The other link doesn't work on my computer FYI

Just to set the record straight!

Have a MEOWY day!
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyerTalk History and context lesson:

Yes, the "do" part of the Catman Do was always used and derived from it's proper context as defined in the dictionary meaning party, but there is more to the story...

And that began with the "Catman Do" which was a play on words of the name of the famous capital of Nepal...Katmandu.

"Catman Do" meaning Catman's party.

After the successes of the Catman Do's, the word "do" sorta just became synonymous with FlyerTalk parties in particular, with many other folks calling their get togethers "do's" as a "tip 'o the hat" to the Catman Do's. Just as "PIPs" became synonymous with large organized FlyerTalk gatherings after the success and popularity of the Party In Paradise of 1999.

And that's what I think doc meant when he attributed the "do's" of FlyerTalk to Catman.

So, the word "do" did not originate on FlyerTalk, of course. But it's popular usage to describe FlyerTalk specific get togethers, did originate with the Catman Do's.

BTW, the second Catman Do was called the Catman Do Deux. Deux being French for 2.

Catman Do Deux being pronounced as Catman Doo Doo, or Catman Poop.

There will be a quiz on this next week.

And pinniped...Thank You for your question! For more information, you can read about the last Catman Do event, the Catman Do Trois, at:

http://members.aol.com/millionmileflyer/catmando3.html

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 01-22-2003).]
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
When's the next Catman DO???
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know. But there is another PIP in the works:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/002794.html
Old Jan 22, 2003, 7:17 pm
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
sew, premexecushun, do el gato doo troix meen catman doo tree?

------------------
Loving, Caring, Honest, Intelligent, Empathetic, Creative, and Giving©.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what it meant arturo!

And he's got the bark to prove it.

Old Jan 22, 2003, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Yes, PremEx, SOME of us understood the play on words in Catman Do.

But (continuing to be obnoxiously pedantic), the French word "deux" is NOT pronounced like the English word "do." The closest approximation I can think of for the vowel is the vowel sound represented by "ou" in the English word "should." So Catman Doo Doo .

On the other hand, do I understand correctly that the NEXT Catman Do will be....Catman Do Quatre? The French word "quatre" (four) is pronounced, more or less, like the English word "cat!" Of course, there IS a little bit of an unpronounceable French "r" sound at the very end. But for our purposes, this can be conveniently ignored.

So, Catman Do 4 = Catman Do Cat! Wow! That really has a certain cachet!

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 01-22-2003).]
Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the only real way to find out what an FT Do is would be to hop on a plane and attend one.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the only real way to find out what an FT Do is would be to hop on a plane and attend one. </font>
Aren't you in Chicago? You could just meet some of us Friday night
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
Aren't you in Chicago? You could just meet some of us Friday night </font>
Thanks for the invite - I'm actually in Kansas City now. I lived in Chicago for about 3 years in the mid-90's and still go back quite often, so I will certainly watch this board from time to time for ORD happenings.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:05 am

Unsure of the meaning of a word? Hey, there's this handy new thing called a DICTIONARY!

And they even have them on the World Wide Web! www.m-w.com , for example.

If you search for the word "do," one of its definitions (as a noun) is "a festive get-together" or "party."

No, the word was NOT coined by anyone on FlyerTalk!

Kathy
</font>
It's just that I had seen it written as "DO" so many times, I figured it stood for something. My best guess was...

...Drinking Opportunity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.