Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell B Watson

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
From Cyber Net's website:

The CyberNET Group Core Values

Integrity and honesty are at the heart of our business. We expect our people to maintain high ethical standards in everything they do, both in their work for the organization and in their personal lives.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:30 pm

Evne though I have been here for just a few months, I am deeply saddened that B Watson had to end his life this way. I can't believe he was trying to calm me down last week over a certain topic in the CX forum. His last post was triggered by me, since I mentioned yu sheng in SIA forum. I am at loss of words here. He was a nice guy, very respectable. Why did this have to happen?

My condolences to his family, and Rest In Peace, Mr. Watson.

Last edited by hongkongtraveller; Nov 25, 2004 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller
He was a nice guy, very respectable. .
How can you call a man who has broken umpteen laws, lived a lie and ruined people's lives RESPECTABLE???
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Link to old thread
This makes interesting reading.... Amazing he could be so sanctimonious considering everything...

"Thieves are thieves - we generally try NOT to hire them."
"I just see this as so black and white, and with no gray"
"CLEARLY you miss my point - my comment about theft and scam are NOT targeted at you but at anyone who advocates perpetrating fraud on their employer."
"This has been the age old excuse of embezzlers for generations - "I just took what I should have been paid in the first place"
Fascinating thread. And I found myself in complete agreement with Mr. Watson's argument. (perhaps not the charged language used though)

This "secret life" thing just boggles the mind - my few exchanges with him on FT were pretty good. Wow, had no idea.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:34 pm

You are very senseless. From what I read, and some conversation with him, he seemed like a nice guy to me. Sure, he may have broken laws, but he was still respectable in my eyes.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techgirl
Well... I can tell you that we aren't the only internet news groups discussing this wildly. The difference is, the other sites I found didn't know BWatson. I am sure there will be much more about CyberNET in the coming months/years. And I can see where people will want to discuss that.

Perhaps this needs to stay a condolences thread without all the editorializing... and if we want to discuss the corporate side of this, we can open a thread in OMNI.

Or... maybe folks who want to discuss this would find it more productive to migrate to another website where discussion is ongoing. Two links to other forums discussing this (the company):

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ress=203x76758

http://www.commongroundcommonsense.o...p/t5461-0.html

(Edited to add that the OMNI left-wingers are going to have a field day with this one....)
... and right before:

Originally Posted by techgirl
Lets have a bit of sensitivity here, please. This is certainly shocking news to the FT community... and I think we can do without the editorial commentary.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:10 pm

When somebody is driven to take their own life, then the situation must indeed be dire.
I feel for his wife and family, as they will now have extra issues to deal with.

And as Seat 2A so eloquently said, here's hoping he travelled to his afterlife in F. However, we can only wonder what amenities his arrivals lounge will provide... And whether his onward connection will be delayed...

Also, I think it is quite strange that people, when BWatson was around, didn't feel the need to berate him for his behaviour on FT. Now that he has passed away in admittedly dubious circumstances, virtuous, self-righteous condemnation is pouring forth.

I think that if people didn't have the overpowering urge to bad-mouth him when he was alive, then they have no right to do so now.

Mike
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MikeinSIN
And as Seat 2A so eloquently said, here's hoping he travelled to his afterlife in F.
Although I extend my condolences to his wife and family for this tragic event, I certainly don't think that he deserves to go there in F.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:27 pm

To be honest, I didn't know about B Watsons life. I only knew him thru FT, and had no idea what is occupation was. I only cared about who he was on this board. We was respectable in MY eyes. I only knew the dirty truth about him today. He maybe was a snob, since he always insisted on F class, and complained about caviar and so on. Since he is in death now, he deserves some respect. I don't think what he did off FT is much of our business.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:54 pm

B Watson R.I.P. I will miss your posts.

You guys are confusing a person with an "online personality". I never met Barton Watson (although we had two appointments in HKG and DUS). So I am not in the position (as most here) to comment on the real live Barton Watson. But the FT B Watson was a pleasure to read and to interact with and will be missed. He was very much respectable and even helpful and kind.

Does this extent to Barton Watson in real life? I dont know and I could care less. The same way I wouldnt think bad of Earnest Hemingway - the writer even when I know all the shortcommings of Earnest Hemmingway - the man.

B Watson R.I.P. You occupied, entertained, amused, even excited me many hours. Thank you and good-bye.

PS. Get over these childish Hitler et. al. comparisons. What in B Watson's writing here justifies such a categorization? <vent>This is a *VIRTUAL* community here ...</vent> He did no harm here, other than being very much opinionated. Live with it.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:02 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
I am suprised at some of the comments here.My only dealings With Mr. Watson was his gift of a VIP one X-mas and reading his many posts. I will miss reading them good or bad.
RIP Mr. Watson.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Invasion of Privacy

At FlyerTalk, we have the utmost respect for the privacy of our participants. Members can take comfort in the knowledge that none of their personal information will be posted on the forums, unless they choose to post it themselves. This means that no one is allowed to post another member's phone number, address, frequent flyer numbers or any other private information. Any such posts will be removed.

What is the policy regarding posting messages about tragedies?

In the short time that FlyerTalk has been in existence, we have already had our share of tragedies, losing several members to another world. We continue to celebrate their contributions and see no harm in posts regarding their life and contributions on FlyerTalk. This issue is always personal and should remain that way, with the respect it deserves when posted on the forum.

---------------------------

For a multi-page thread with 72 posts, in a Forum with no less than 4 Moderators, I am astounded to read a lot of what remains on this thread, as much of it clearly breaches the FT TOS it seems to me.

A black day for FT IMHO that no action of any kind has been taken.

This Member contributed positively to Flyertalk, and met many members in person. He volunteered his busy time to be a Moderator on several Forums. He was an entertaining and intelligent conversationalist and host.

Can some of you folks PLEASE let this Member Rest In Peace?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:47 pm

So many of you fell for such a cartoonish, overacted charade.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ozstamps...This Member contributed [U
positively[/U] to Flyertalk, and met many members in person. He volunteered his busy time to be a Moderator on several Forums. He was an entertaining and intelligent conversationalist and host.

Can some of you folks PLEASE let this Member Rest In Peace?
Well said, ozstamps!

I second B Watson's positive contributions to FLYERTALK. Again I state that whatever one does outside of Flyertalk is their business and theirs alone. We cannot judge what drives individuals to do things that are deemed wrong by some, by survival desperate means by others.

Some of us have some other evil demeanors that we find harmless whereas I'm sure when some of you have it be known, our names will be dragged in mud equally as well. We are all guilty of some henious crime.

Let those be without a single fault be the one to cast the first stone. And don't kid yourself.

Today is THANKSGIVING for God's sake. Look at ourselves!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 25, 2004 at 8:02 pm
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:02 pm

I continued to be astounded by this thread. Then again, FT has always been a nurturing place for aliases and secondary personalities.

I do not want to speak ill of the deceased, but I believe that certain values take precedence over the colour of one's Amex card or the number of miles in one's FF account. What scares me about this thread is that some of us cannot separate the two so easily. Why can't we call a spade a spade?

As for the recipients of BWatson's "generosity," you should know that it wasn't his to give. This isn't some Robin Hood story... There are real losers here. Just be thankful you aren't one of them. And, yes, today is THANKSGIVING.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.

Last edited by fallinasleep; Nov 25, 2004 at 8:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.