2024 MCI BBQ DO — May 3rd-5th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 MCI BBQ DO — May 3rd-5th

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
Since I live here, I may join you at Jack Stack on Thursday night. It's my fave BBQ restaurant, especially for the sides. Some please let me know what time you are going for dinner. Leave a message here or email me susiesan8 at gmail.com
I'd be down for Jack Stack on Thursday night as well. Have any firm plans been made?
Old May 1, 2024, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jackal
I will probably raid my wine cellar again before departing home. I hope someone has a suite to gather in.
GW McLintock -- I may be interested in joining you for your ghost town adventures Sunday.
I can host again Saturday night; looks like the rain forecast drops off that afternoon, so we can run a fire pit if anyone likes. I also have toddler toys for CoffeeTraveler (we have a 14-mo old granddaughter). I'm also interested in the ghost towns. Lived here all my life and never knew about this!
Old May 1, 2024, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by holland
I can host again Saturday night; looks like the rain forecast drops off that afternoon, so we can run a fire pit if anyone likes. I also have toddler toys for CoffeeTraveler (we have a 14-mo old granddaughter). I'm also interested in the ghost towns. Lived here all my life and never knew about this!
You are welcome to join us on Sunday! I am planning to visit Saint George, Bala, and Volland (not to be confused with Holland ). Elmdale is a little farther but is not completely unreasonable.

In March I visited Silkville, Walnut, and Cato. Cato is partially preserved. Walnut is a semi-ghost with a current population under 200 and a really good bar and grill.

-J.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:33 am

Funny! I have an old college friend from St George.

Hopefully the water has receded down by Cato; this is a photo of Hwy 7 between Harding & Devon, just north of there, yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...28270885767416

I'm guessing US-69 is clear, but with the creeks down there, the back roads to Cato might be a bit treacherous for a 2WD rental car.... depending on how much more rain we get between now and then.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:57 am

KC Beer Deal!

People might be interested in Kansas City Tap Tour pass, which for $5 gets you beer deals at 22 breweries around KC, including $2 off pints at Casual Animal. Hat tip to Mrs. CoffeeTraveler for finding this.
GW McLintock and Zorak like this.

Last edited by CoffeeTraveler; May 1, 2024 at 8:57 am Reason: Typo
Old May 1, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I mentioned last night on the Drunk DO, but wanted to also mention here my Friday plans. I land at 11:30am, will pick up a car, and head straight to the The Westin to drop off my stuff (with one stop along the way at Walmart). Shortly thereafter, I will pick up cocobird at her hotel and we go to the TWA Museum. If anyone else is around and would like to join (specifically in the car), please let me know. I'm dropping off the car at the Loews Hotel that evening, possibly after dinner (since they can process the return in the morning when they open).

On Sunday, I'm currently booked on a 7am AA flight that I have very little intention of actually taking (though the possibility of SDCing into a long ORD layover is attractive). Depending on how Jet flight loads look, I may try to go home standby on them in the afternoon; I will know by Friday evening. The alternative is to spend Sunday night at the Fairfield near the airport and work from the hotel on Monday, and take AA home that night. This would mean I'd have a rental car all day Sunday and there are three ghost towns in eastern-central Kansas I would like to visit. Anyone is welcome to join me, though I don't expect to get back to MCI/KC proper until later in the afternoon.

-J.
How late in the afternoon on Sunday? My flight home Sunday leaves at 5:20. I wouldn't want you to alter your plans on my behalf, but I'd be interested in seeing the ghost town if you will be back in time.
Zorak likes this.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; May 1, 2024 at 10:41 pm
Old May 1, 2024, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Funny! I have an old college friend from St George.

Hopefully the water has receded down by Cato; this is a photo of Hwy 7 between Harding & Devon, just north of there, yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...28270885767416

I'm guessing US-69 is clear, but with the creeks down there, the back roads to Cato might be a bit treacherous for a 2WD rental car.... depending on how much more rain we get between now and then.
Woah Back in March it was pretty dry. Next to the old schoolhouse is a stone bridge (the restoration of which was someone's Eagle Scout project) and the water was at a reasonable level. A number of roads east of Chanute and west of Walnut were closed due to flooding. I was in a Dodge Challenger and didn't take many chances beyond gravel or dirt roads.

Anyway on Sunday if you'd like to join, I'll probably pick up my car then pick you up before going back to the The Westin. We can coordinate on Friday or Saturday, since I'm still deciding when to go home.

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
People might be interested in Kansas City Tap Tour pass, which for $5 gets you beer deals at 22 breweries around KC, including $2 off pints at Casual Animal. Hat tip to Mrs. CoffeeTraveler for finding this.
IIRC some of us did that (or something similar) last year. We (somewhat spectacularly) did not hit all of the breweries. I'm down to try again or at least finish the line if you or anyone else is interested.

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
How late in the afternoon on Sunday. My flight home Sunday leaves at 5:20. I wouldn't want you to alter your plans on my behalf, but I'd be interested in seeing the ghost town if you will be back in time.
My car will be ready at 9am (though I could make it 8am... but I would like to get breakfast at the hotel before heading west). Just putting everything onto the map, if we do the three ghost towns I expect it'll be around 7:15 round-trip with 15-minute stops in each ghost town, though this does not include lunch (and I drive pretty quickly so it might be faster). If holland joins us that will add some time to the trip, though I can stop at the airport first on the way back if needed. However it's still a pretty tight schedule. I was not expecting to get back until 5pm. We can discuss more this weekend. Additionally, I have already asked the Avis manager for a sedan (though I am sure they wouldn't mind giving me an SUV, given how many of them they have). If everyone who expressed interest joins, we're at five people including myself.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; May 1, 2024 at 9:30 am
Old May 1, 2024, 9:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
How late in the afternoon on Sunday. My flight home Sunday leaves at 5:20. I wouldn't want you to alter your plans on my behalf, but I'd be interested in seeing the ghost town if you will be back in time.
Same.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:41 am

I got a bit confused on the towns and thought you were doing St George, Walnut, and Cato. lol

I went to school in Manhattan (EMAW!) and am pretty familiar with that area; we go 4-wheeling at Tuttle Creek up by Randolph quite a bit. Beautiful views and lots of fun.

Using the Westin as "home base", it looks like a 5.5 hr round trip, plus any rest stops.

On your way to or from, it looks like you'll go right through Alma, KS (close to Volland) which has some amazing cheese (https://almacheese.com/) and is worth a brief stop. Wamego and Paxico used to have (may still) some cute antique shops, and smack in the middle of the loop is Pillsbury Crossing (do a google image search for pillsbury crossing manhattan ks). Kind of cool to go through if you've got something other than a sedan and some extra time; it'd add about 15-30 mins to the overall trip depending on the routing (or a bit more if it's flooded but I can ping some locals about the conditions as it gets closer).

I could also potentially drive; I have a 3500 Duramax that comfortably seats 5 (and has plenty of dry space under the tonneau for luggage if we needed to do any airport drops on the way back.

Given the 5pm departures of a couple folks, and the fact that most of the drive is interstate, what if we got an early start, e.g. 6-7am? That'd put us back to MCI by 2-3pm and allow +2 hours for stops, meals, gas/bathroom, etc.

Do you get out and walk through any of the ruins, or just do a drive-by? I've never been to visit ghost towns before, so not sure what the protocol is.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
My flight on Sunday is at 7:20pm, so would be interested in the Sunday drive if I can get back in time for the flight.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Same.
You would put us at 6 people. That means I need a bigger car [or] we take two cars. There might be another car available already so stand by. Though I do kind of want one of the Durango R/Ts I know they have

ETA: I see others have expressed interest now too. And some good ideas from holland though would definitely require an earlier start (which is potentially doable, though 6am is early ). Maybe I'll take the points instead of breakfast at the The Westin, lol. Anyway stand by while I try and come up with a plan. @holland, I appreciate the offer for your truck but we're talking 350+ miles and I don't know if you want to do that with your big diesel truck. @cocobird if you join, you'll definitely be back in time for your flight.

Anyway I am coming up with an itinerary. Stand by.

Do you get out and walk through any of the ruins, or just do a drive-by? I've never been to visit ghost towns before, so not sure what the protocol is.
It depends. If places are accessible then we can get out and explore. Much of these places can be viewed at least 90% fully from the car, though. I will also read up on them and will hopefully be able to share some history. We also never trespass since that ruins it for everyone.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; May 1, 2024 at 10:30 am
Old May 1, 2024, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Another event going on this weekend is the Brookside Art Fair. It starts Friday evening and runs through Sunday afternoon. Mostly local and Midwest artists showing and selling their artwork. You can get some nice items for fair prices.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold
Since we changed our trip to Gatlinburg from driving to flying and we have a 5:00am flight Sunday morning (ugh) Bob and I will have to pass on the bonfire 🔥 at your lovely home. When you use award points you have to fly when you can.😄
Old May 1, 2024, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the proposed itinerary for Sunday. It is jam-packed and very little margin for error, but I think we can pull this off. The start time is 7:30 because that's when Avis opens; I have a minivan rental (which costs a little more, but if a couple of people buy me a beer over the weekend then I'll just call it even ).

0730: depart Avis MCI
30 mins
0815: depart The Westin (I need to check out and would like to get breakfast to-go)
7 mins
0825: depart Hotel Kansas City
2 hrs 6 mins
1030-1045: St George
42 mins
1125-1140: Bala
1 hr 6 mins
1245-1300: Volland
13 mins
1315-1345: lunch in Alma
38 mins
1425-1430: group photo at the Kansas State Capitol in Topeka (in memory of CMK10 Z"L)
1 hr 31 mins
1600: arrival at MCI

Google Maps source

I drive quickly so this should be doable. If I pick up holland at his home, that would add about 25 minutes to the schedule so we would forego the Topeka stop (unless time permits) and maybe get lunch to go. Either is fine with me. jackal may have his own rental car which would mean those who aren't in a rush could continue to explore on their own; for this reason I've not yet canceled my sedan rental.

Here's the list of people who expressed interest:
  • GW
  • Majuki
  • Jackal
  • holland
  • cocobird
  • ChrisFlyer66
  • Zorak
-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; May 4, 2024 at 7:49 pm
Old May 1, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by bdnyc
I arrive MCI Thursday 4:54PM DL4928, and will shout out to you about Thursday evening. Also staying at Westin.
Originally Posted by susiesan
Since I live here, I may join you at Jack Stack on Thursday night. It's my fave BBQ restaurant, especially for the sides. Some please let me know what time you are going for dinner. Leave a message here or email me susiesan8 at gmail.com
I'd be down for Jack Stack on Thursday night as well. Have any firm plans been made?
Sorry for not responding sooner!

When I arrive at MCI Thursday afternoon I plan to stick around to pick up cocobird (bdnyc also if he so desires), which should get us to Hotel KC around 6 or so. Does 7:00 or 7:30 work for folks? I haven't tried to make a reservation yet. I see a maximum of 5 currently interested (me, cocobird, bdnyc, susiesan, and Holland).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.