Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring Forward in SAN, March 10-12, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Spring Forward in SAN, March 10-12, 2023

I am lazy so am just going to copy/edit what I wrote last year:

A few of us happened to meet up in SAN in March 2020, just as things were starting to get weird, then got together again in 2021 as a sort of perverse one-year anniversary observation, and since the 2nd one randomly coincided with the time change weekend, it was decided that henceforth this would be an annual Spring Forward DO, so whether:
  • ... you hate Standard Time and want to celebrate the return of Daylight Saving
  • ... or if you're a non-West-coaster and figure as long as your circadian rhythm's going to be thrown off anyway, might as well do it in a different time zone
  • ... or just want some other excuse to visit San Diego
mark your calendars for March 10-12, 2023.

Past years:

2022: Spring Forward in SAN, March 11-13, 2022
2021: we hijacked this thread: SAN Meetup - Sun. Feb. 28, 2021
2020: SAN meetup March 14, 2020

IMO the Coaster day trip was a lot of fun and I'd be interested in doing that again, whether to Oceanside again or one of the other stops. Since this same weekend seems to be an annual track maintenance window that means keeping the rail excursion on Friday, but I am hoping that since we are planning it in advance this year, any non-retiree locals can at least meet us for lunch or "work remotely" that day

IIRC, I am advised by the Activities Director that the Saturday beer crawl is likely to be in Miramar this year.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Put me down as tentative. I can get there but I have no idea where I'll be staying yet. Hotel prices are really !

-J.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:08 pm

I’ll be there with Mrs., mini, and MIL. We’ll most likely staying at Manchester Grand Hyatt Mar. 8-12. Looking forward to seeing everyone! I’m hoping we can try for a visit to a couple tiki bars again:
Mothership
Realm Of The 52 Remedies

Last edited by CoffeeTraveler; Nov 6, 2022 at 1:39 pm Reason: Added links
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
My work travel can be unpredictable, but as of now I expect to be around and will join the fun. Miramar is a great area but a bit tougher to get to with public transportation.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
agree w unpredictability of work travel and challenges of Miramar area for the beer crawl, but we are certainly interested
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I was wondering if there was going to be another edition of this Do. However, I believe we will have a scheduling conflict. More beer for you.

Last edited by SFOTerry; Nov 8, 2022 at 8:22 am
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm probably in, barring anything unforeseen.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
As past attendees can attest, this is not a highly regimented DO, so there will be zero hard feelings if people decide to roll their own for activities
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Red face Well...

I do not anticipate going to San Diego, CA. until 21-24 June for the American Homebrewers' Association's National Homebrew Conference. It is at the Town & Country Hotel on the Hotel Circle North. It was there in 2011 & 2015, which was the most recent time it was in San Diego. And of course, PQRS, Ltd. was the first entity to host a beer-tasting event at the T & C in August 1991.
Look for another hotel along the Hotel Circle. The North side is closer to the Green Line light rail line. It has sufficient operating hours.
I initially recommended a Motel 6 east of the T & C which was along the light rail line. But I seemingly can't find it again. It was a hotel which Motel 6 bought. I would need to be back at the abode, checking my photographs; not at the Sheffield's Bar, where I am currently.
{Initially? I had a full-blown response composed here, but FlyerTalk's forum software opted to eat the response rather than publishing it. This is being composed off-line and saved off-line, so if it tries this again, it will fail, because I will keep on pasting it in here and hitting submit until it capitulates.}
Getting to Miramar might be challenging, but if you make the sensible move of obtaining a Pronto Card, you can get there. The snag may be getting back from there. {Michael Stipe [ex-R.E.M.] should record a song titled, "Can't Get Back From There". }
If I go to San Diego in late June, I will not stay in a hotel room at the T & C unless I get a certified statement from anybody who offers to share a room there that he will stay there. I was soaked when in Philadelphia, PA. in 2013, my prescriptive roommate cancelled his entire Conference eight days before it began. I was stuck with paying a $130 | night room (at a spill hotel nonetheless) for three nights
A Motel 6 along the Hotel Circle North, or a Super 8 South looks like a plausible alternative. Look there, GW, for a reasonable hotel room. Do you know the border between paying too much for a hotel giving airline points vs. getting an inexpensive hotel room?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This was a great time this year so I'll put it on my radar again for next year. As long as we can do another epic brewery crawl of course.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:01 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
This was a great time this year so I'll put it on my radar again for next year. As long as we can do another epic brewery crawl of course.
I have been contracted , uh instructed to create something similar for the next DO.

I am hoping to publish something soon. Just a little behind on some personal planning.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I'm a maybe.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I’m not currently expecting to be in SAN in March, but then I wasn’t planning on it last year either until mid-January, so could still happen!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Possibly a maybe for the day trip.! Once things get sorted out and closer to the date, hopefully I can confirm. Looks like you had a nice group last year for lunch!
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm likely traveling during this time. Darn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.