Shanghai - February 2005

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai - February 2005

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
Why the 'or'-- as a longtime FT'er wouldn't you want to split your stay for both Hyatt/Starwood stay credits? </font>
Or just get 3 quick SPG stays There's a Westin, Sheraton, and St. Regis. Just checked Feb 19-21 and only the St. Regis is showing availability at $235 a night. I guess rates aren't loaded this far in advance.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by belle3388:
Happiness is: Sharing a tableful of delicious food with a bunch of hungry FTers from all over the world!</font>
Looks like we're off to a good start. I've heard Shanghai offers some wonderful food and we've got the same bunch from HKG interested
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:54 pm
GK
Original Poster

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
More on the chinese visa front - if you are in HKG, then I recommend getting a six month multiple entry visa here, as far out as Sept/Oct 2004 which will still be valid in Feb 2005. So perhaps we should organise a pre-Do Miles/Visa Run.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:
More on the chinese visa front - if you are in HKG, then I recommend getting a six month multiple entry visa here, as far out as Sept/Oct 2004 which will still be valid in Feb 2005. So perhaps we should organise a pre-Do Miles/Visa Run.</font>
belle3388 and I were contemplating a return trip to HKG in October 2004.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
And the discussion of the next AsiaDO was #4 on the magic highlights.
2005 is filling out rather well I think Shanghai in February - Valencia (Las Fallas) in March. Just gotta get something in mind for January
Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magic111:
Just gotta get something in mind for January </font>
That's easy. We are meeting in SIN for the 3rd annual mjm run for crabs - pepper crabs in 2005.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:
That's easy. We are meeting in SIN for the 3rd annual mjm run for crabs - pepper crabs in 2005.</font>
That sounds great

Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:35 pm

If this trip doesn't involve getting splashed while on a boat, then I'll come.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:54 pm
mjm
Original Member

Nearby Hangzhou may involve a boatride on the lake, but we are more likely to get splashed by the bubbling Hotpot while eating.

For those that have not been you are in for a real treat.

Mike

------------------
FT Pictures Page (hosted by markbach)
My Starbucks City Mug Collection Page
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:50 pm
GK
Original Poster

a quote from a guidebook..

Although the lights have been out for quite some time, Shanghai once beguiled foreigners with its seductive mix of tradition and sophistication. Now Shanghai is reawakening and dusting off its party shoes for another silken tango with the wider world.

Shanghai has been the domain of adventurers, swindlers, gamblers, drug runners, idle rich, dandies, tycoons, missionaries, gangsters and backstreet pimps; a dark memory during the long years of forgetting that the Communists visited upon their new China.

All through these years of oblivion, the architects of this social experiment firmly wedged one foot against the door on Shanghai's past. Today Shanghai has reawakened and is busy snapping the dust off its cummerbund. The sun rises every day to a city typifying the huge disparities of modern China: monumental building projects push skyward and glinting department stores swing open their doors to a stylish elite while child beggars, prostitutes and the impoverished gather outside. Always a city of jostling juxtapositions, Shanghai is entering the new millenium running hot on the friction of contrast and the energy of its own fevered growth.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:47 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I'm in for both a visa run to HK and the 2/05 Shanghai-DO. After the great time in HK this past week, I would not want to miss it. Thanks again Graeme and Sean.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rbAA:
I'm in for both a visa run to HK and the 2/05 Shanghai-DO. After the great time in HK this past week, I would not want to miss it. Thanks again Graeme and Sean.</font>
ditto.

------------------
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are", Buckaroo Bonzai
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mjm:
For those that have not been you are in for a real treat.
</font>
I'm looking forward to it, but its soooo far away. Graeme - when would you like us stopping by for that visa?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoingAway:
I'm looking forward to it, but its soooo far away. Graeme - when would you like us stopping by for that visa? </font>
Tell me about it We've still got a year to go! GoingAway, belle3388 and I were looking at October which I think GK mentioned would be a perfect time for a Visa run.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
When in October?

At this time we have a several day trip planned for Cancun at the end of October to visit a timeshare we traded into.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:48 pm
GK
Original Poster

September and October are very busy times for me at work, so I can't really promise a great big event at that time of year.

We should be able to organise a dinner though on a weekend, and hopefully a sunday excursion somewhere. I would suggest that the best date is Oct 9/10, but am happy to consider your suggestions.

I shall also contact the chinese travel service and check that they can process visas over a weekend, and what time the accept incoming applications up until on a saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.