Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Fight On!!!!

Can't ever get too many Trojans on here ^

Originally Posted by USCgirlie
Hi everyone,

I too joined awhile ago but hadn't posted a mini-bio. I'm originally from San Francisco, and recently attended college at USC (Go Trojans!). Now, I work at a major company in Silicon Valley, CA. Unfortunately, I don't get to travel anywhere as much as I like now, but travel is always on my mind! If I'm not watching my set of favorite shows or ESPN, the Travel Channel is on in the background.

In my spare time I love watching sports, relaxing, shopping, and spending time w/ family and friends. When I travel, I usually stay in Starwood and try to fly Southwest domestically whenever possible.

Thanks to all who've made FT such a helpful place for travelers!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow. TrojanHorse responded about 3 hours after I would have expected him to respond.

Welcome USCGirlie. TrojanHorse isn't as bad as he seems.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:22 pm
Stir Crazy

Hello from Internet Brands

Hello everyone!
I’ve been reading up on several threads here on Flyer Talk to familiarize myself with the community, and I thought it was about time I introduced myself to you all. My name is Ryan, and I’m with Internet Brands. I’ll be here, participating on the forums as well as communicating with the moderators, so that all of you will have a voice to express your thoughts and concerns to the people at IB.

As it has been stressed already, I want to reassure you that we are not here to start changing things around and futzing with the formula that has worked beautifully here for so long. The community here at FT, as it is now, is what attracted IB, and that being the case, we’ve adopted a philosophy that more closely resembles the “If it ain’t broke, why fix it?” mentality. I will admit that I myself am not directly privy to the intimate thoughts of our fearless leaders, but I assure you that any ideas for change that might come through the pipeline will be thoroughly hashed and rehashed, taking into consideration the wants and needs of the community and the expressed opinions of all the moderators, including Randy and Mikel.

We here at IB recognize that the core value of Flyer Talk lies within its community, and were we to try and pull anything over on this community, thereby driving away its members and creating disillusionment, dissatisfaction, and internal strife, that we would have effectively destroyed the worth of Flyer Talk itself. This, obviously, is something we would like to avoid at all costs!

As for myself, I am a bit of a dreamer who is able to travel much less than he would like. In my limited travels over the past several years, I have found time to become a member of the AAdvantage program, though I admit that I haven’t had much opportunity to take advantage (no pun intended) of the program as of late. However, I recognize Flyer Talk as an invaluable resource for travelers everywhere, and I look forward to engaging you all on the boards! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and feel free to shoot me an email or a PM anytime.

Ryan

Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Welcome on FlyerTalk, Stir Crazy

if you need any help, don't hesitate to contact the moderators. We're looking forward to your valuable contributions to our community

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:56 am

Location: Previously Leeds, England - now Chicago USA (KLM/AF - Lifetime Platinum)
I'm a 46 year old (male) IT manager in public service in Leeds, England, who travels totally for leisure. Thank heavens for credit cards and flexitime! I was introduced to FT a couple of years ago by BDLord - I mainly just read the AF/KL Flying Blue forum occasionally, and am more of a lurker than regular poster.

My travel history goes back to 1973 when, as a 12 year old, I accompanied my parents to Zambia where my Dad was starting a 6 year teaching contract. To keep me quiet on the plane they bought me a "Travel Log", and the Martinair plane (on loan to Zambia Airways) gave out a useful info sheet, detailing sights en route, staff on board, even the aircraft registration. And hence to this day, I can (sadly?) list the registration of every plane I've ever flown! Returned back to England in 75 for education reasons, but had 3 free (contractual) trips to visit my parents every year and so got that travel bug and became adept in my teens at requesting flights with different airlines and via different places, as well as travelling independently. Most of my flights during that time were with Alitalia or Zambia Airways via Nairobi, but I flew several other carriers, most "interestingly" Aeroflot from Zambia to Moscow to London in 79. Oddly enough, the flight from Africa was far more basic than the one to London!

I pretty much stopped flying in 79, got into employment and real life, and didn't pick up travelling again until 95 following divorce. I now travel mostly to North America to go to gigs as a fan - I follow one particular American rock band (Cheap Trick). I run an unofficial fan website, and as a result of this and my frequent travels I have lots of friends all over the States (and further afield) that it's nice to see occasionally. I also have a girlfriend in Chicago, so some travels are purely to visit her. My travels have gradually built up since 98, and I'm now averaging 9-10 transatlantics a year (now not too far from 100 round trips across the Atlantic - hope to celebrate the 100th in Business!) Have also travelled to Europe, and 4 times to Japan since 1999 to see the band. Most of my travels are with KLM/NW, and I've been Royal Wing/Platinum with KL since 2000. Sometimes fly DL as they're often cheaper in the summer months. I also had a couple of years where I flew occasionally with *A (BMI, Lufthansa) but it proved impossible to retain high status in two programmes, so I choose Skyteam as my first choice now (aiming for Lifetime Platinum with KL). And seeing as my travels are all personal, I pay for them myself on a modest salary and hence fly economy on the lowest fare that earns 100%. Have been lucky with a few upgrades with KL and NW plus bought a few flights in Business using award points, so I do very much appreciate the rare treat of sitting in the front cabin!

My favourite airport is Amsterdam, and also very familiar with Manchester UK and T5 at Chicago O'Hare. Liked HKG too last year. Strongly dislike Heathrow and Paris CDG. Favourite runway approaches include descending across water into both Boston and San Francisco, flying past the Manhatten skyline into Newark, and barely missing that parking garage at one end of the runway at San Diego!

Whilst it can be tiring and frustrating at times (increasingly so as I get older and the security hassles increase), I still think travelling to new (and favourite) places is one of the most wonderful things to do in life, and my next goal is to get to Australia & New Zealand. And thanks for this great site, I've received helpful advice from many of the nice folk on the KL forum in particular.

There, that's my tuppence worth!
KG
Old Apr 5, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
Talking

time to step up..
i´m a 37 year old male working in the fashion-streetwear industry. somehow managed my way in there after finishing my business education, and have been in the same industry ever since. recently switched companies after almost 9 years with the same employer. my travel include 8-10 trips a year to the LA headoffice, plus another 15 or so within europe visiting the various offices. in my early twenties took advantage of all the free time as a part time student, part time store employee and traveled to interesting places such as nicaragua, yemen and bhutan. these days i´m lucky enough to be traveling in business, and I will never forget my first ever upgrade in the mid nineties. spoiled for life. despite a heavy workload, I manage to check FT daily, so that propably means I´m addicted..
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Hey all --

I've had a FT account for a while now, but never really used it until recently, as I've been travelling a bit more, and most of my life isn't being consumed with work anymore for the time being... =) Now, I've been logging on daily and hoping to integrate myself into this community.

I've been based in Shanghai, China for the last two years, working for a multinational developer of video games doing some R&D work here -- with the occasional stint or two in Europe from time to time. No, we do not just sit around and play video games all day and it does have its share of 90+ hour weeks!

Before, I spent 28 years of my life (born, bred, educated there) in the Silicon Valley area. Indeed, pre-Shanghai I never really lived further than 10 miles from my childhood home for more than two months at a time.

As a Chinese-American, I've had a keen personal interest in the East Asia region, particularly China, Japan, and the DPRK (North Korea), and actually coming out here has confirmed it. To this end, I'd like to stay in East Asia for several more years, getting more experience in the gaming world under my belt as well as improving my language, business, and cultural understanding... and just seeing what might happen next in this crazy, dynamic place called China.

If there are any PVG or greater China based FTers or FT events, definitely let me know... would love to meet you all in person!

-- Mark
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Lightbulb

Hey all ! Just found this thread while doing a random lookaround... So a few details of mine:

FT-ID: SkywalkerLAX
Name: Sebastian
Random: 26 y/o, single, too busy to enjoy the perks of mileage redeeming
Favourite airline: AA (AC addict) ^
Longest MR: AONE5
Last flight: DTW-LGA
Plans for this year re. FT: Attending a (few) DO

Have a good week all !

Seb. :-:
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:11 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Hi all...my twopence worth...been a lurker for some years but only recently started posting. Some background FWIW.......
Born in Liverpool,UK 1964,ardent LFC fan-see the big flag outside my house for the game tonight? Suspect I'm lowering the tone of my genteel Sussex village ! First job ? Air Traffic Control at Speke airport ( now known as John Lennon International ), after a few years I followed the man of my dreams into the Airline biz and joined British Caledonian . Several very happy years until the BCAL/BA merger, and then several more working on the ground at LGW for BA. 2 kids followed so left BA, husband now a B744 skipper with BA.Spent a short time freelancing for Maersk at LGW but don't work now. Travel with the other half quite a bit-but not as much as I'd like! Last trip ? LHR-BKK in Feb with husband-next trip-same again ! Keep a 40ft Catamaran in Mallorca and spend most hols there, as the last thing M wants to do on leave is get on a 'plane and fly long haul.....too much like a busmans' holiday.
Old May 4, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood
Hello All!!
My name is Eli and I am M-21 living in New York City. I work as an Administrator of a Continuing Legal Education non-profit organization. I also own an online business. I fly for leisure only. I somehow fell upon FT in December of 2006. I am proud to say that I have accumulated more than 1/2 million miles!!

My travel history goes back to 1999 when, as a 13 year old, I traveled for the subsequent 3 years to many places including France, England, Israel, Canada and Germany. In 2004 and 2005 I traveled to Moscow as well as local flights in Russia. In 2006 I traveled to Kiev, Ukraine via Frankfurt Germany.
In the past few years I traveled to Florida,California, and Toronto numerous times all for vacation.

Most of my travels at this time are with CO, and I've been Platinum for the past year or so. I have had my share of other airline travel including: 7 flights with FL, 4-5 flights with AA, 8 Flights with LH, 15-20 Flights with BA (no miles were accrued), I also have flown some other airlines as well AC, DL, SU and more. I paid once for a full Y fare from EWR-LAX-EWR, Otherwise I buy the cheapest flight available.

In general I really love traveling and especially flying! I am looking forward to using my miles for First Class travels around the world in the near future.
Thank you FTer's for all the insights!

EG
Old May 10, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Hi all, I'm Beau, just learned of this site a few weeks ago and signed up to get tips on an upcoming trip to HEL to visit my family. I'm originally from New York, now living in San Diego. I go to SDSU working on a Finance degree. I fly as much as possible, and love traveling. I work at a wine store here in town and plan on going into the biz full time once I graduate. I'm 24.
Old May 11, 2007, 12:43 am

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
Hello All,
I have travelled pretty extensively as a backpacker and seen a fair bit of Europe and North America in my time. I am now lucky enough to travel a bit for work and last year ended up in a conference in Szczecin, Poland.

I manage a tall ship in Melbourne and we do a lot of work with not-for-profit groups and schools.

I went to Monash Uni and NC State (Go Pack!). Have summered in the Hampton’s, driven a car across Eastern Europe, gambled in Las Vegas, stayed in a capsule hotel, and flown MEL to LHR in J.

26, single and a cyclist, I play dodge the trucks during the morning peak.

cheers
Rob
Old May 11, 2007, 12:09 pm

Long time lurker - finally posting. I'm a Satellite Systems Engineer who doesn't get to travel nearly as much as I'd like. Must have something to do with working in a cave all day. When I'm not saving the world, I'm probably outside or teaching swing dancing.
Happy to be here - happier to be there. Cheers!
Old May 13, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, KE Morning Calm
Hello! I've been reading at FT for about two years, but posting rarely. I'm just starting to feel like I have some useful info occasionally! I'm sitting in the *Gold lounge at JFK at the moment and thought I should finally introduce myself.

I'm a 38 y.o. woman managing health programs in developing countries for non-profits, currently based in the US. I travel from RDU to Asia several times a year for work, and a few other places for pleasure (this year it has been Costa Rica and England). I lived in Asia for a few years fresh out of college, and didn't collect FF miles - it haunts me now

Thanks for amassing this library of tips and strategies!
Old May 17, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA plt,Ltgold
Long time lurker and member for 2yrs and I see this link for the first time.

User ID: pltwannab
DOB: aug 26
Marital Status: Married with with no kids
Travel: anywhere and everywhere , lately for leisure
Last U.S. Domestic Travel: SDF-SEA-SDF
Last International Travel: SDF-TLV-CAI-AMM-TLV-SDF
Next trip: SDF-IAH , SDF-LIM
Pets: Dog - snowball (a spitz-chow-mix)
Always travel with the FT tag on my bag .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.