Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who would be interested in riding in a New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:57 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

A friend of mine belongs to the "Krewe of Tucks" which parades on the Saturday before Mardi Gras, so for 2003 they would parade on March 1.

I don't know what the cost is yet but it is fairly reasonable, but don't forget you will need to purchase "throws" for the parade. I will post more when I know more, but the deadline for cheap registration is approaching.

I just thought I would post to see if anyone interested in joining me.

A bit of History on the Krewe of Tucks

Known for its irreverence, the Krewe of Tucks began in 1969 as a rag-tag group of Loyola University students. The club takes its name from Friar Tuck, a defunct uptown pub where the college students decided to create their own Carnival krewe after unsuccessfully trying to become white flambeaux carriers, which even in this day and age is a hard, if not impossible thing to do.. The parade has grown from a small ragtag nighttime parade of main pick up trucks and high school type bands, into a procession of major proportions. In 1983 the parade became a daytime event and in 1986 the parade route finally stretched to downtown. Even though the club has grown in size and stature, Tucks always keeps its weird and sometimes inappropriate sense of humor.

Tucks paraded in 1999 with 700 members. The 29 float procession includes jazz bands and a band contest featuring local and out-of-state bands. Tucks introduced a super-double-decker title float in 1997, along with its new toilet seat float. The krewe throws a large variety of krewe-emblemed items, including medallion beads, cups, frisbees, wooden doubloons, plain aluminum doubloons, panties, toilet paper, Tucks stuffed dolls and a new throw, the Tucks football. The parade ends near the Marriott Hotel, site of the Tucks Extravaganza (open to public by paid admission).

If the club stays on it's present course it will one day be set in the annals of the "Super krewes" that will live on as legendary parades.

[This message has been edited by prncess674 (edited 07-10-2002).]
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:29 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
We could have our own "Flyer Tuck" float!! We could throw chexmix, airline Toilet Paper, barf bags, and luggage tags!!
Old Jul 10, 2002, 1:06 pm

I'll keep eye out for that...I already booked "cheap" room at the HIxpress in/near the french quarter.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my 60ieth birthday is on march 2nd 2003 ...
Old Jul 10, 2002, 3:56 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
my 60ieth birthday is on march 2nd 2003 ...</font>
Rudi, I think you made a typo here, what you MEANT to say was...
my 40th birthday is on march 2nd 2003 ...

Old Jul 10, 2002, 4:10 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have more specifics on prices.

Dues:
$375 if paid before 7/15 or
$450 if paid after 7/15

Throws:
$275 required to buy from krewe (you will definitly want to buy more but you don't need to buy the additional from the krewe there are plenty of wholesalers in the city with good prices)

Included in the dues are:
1 ticket to carnation ball and
1 ticket to party after parade
and the right to ride in the parade

Not included:
costume you must provide your own this year's theme Fish (this should not be expensive)

Additional tickets to ball or party I believe are $95

The coronation ball and the after parade party are at a downtown hotel that includes a buffet dinner, entertainment and Open Bar

Any takers?????
Old Jul 10, 2002, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sounds like fun!!!

I've seen what you get for tossing beads

Wonder what an FT Luggage tag will get you??

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 07-10-2002).]
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder what an FT Luggage tag will get you??

Probably beer belly guys flashing their bums to show off their ... calluses!

I think I'd stick with the baubles, bangles, and bright shiny beads.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 7:49 am

Princess, I might be interested, but I'd have to know how close you guys will be parading to the big day itself.

I'm sure I could find SOME excuse why I had to be down there around that time. I mean, New Orleans is in my territory.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 7:53 am
Don

Hmmm ... perhaps stock up now on Marriott conditioner, Sheraton shoe mittens, DL's mini-water bottles and Biscoff wafers, so you'd have some genuine FT throws to toss.

Did the Phunny Phorty Phellows kick-off-Mardi-Gras streetcar ride in January & it was lots of fun. I imagine the big parades are a blast.

Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:07 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
Princess, I might be interested, but I'd have to know how close you guys will be parading to the big day itself.

I'm sure I could find SOME excuse why I had to be down there around that time. I mean, New Orleans is in my territory.
</font>
Tucks parades on Saturday, March 1st, in the afternoon. The parade kicks off around 1PM. Mardi Gras Day is Tuesday, March 4th. Tucks has a prime parade time. There are 3 downtown parades (Tucks included) that all follow similar roots on Saturday. On Sunday there are 4 parades.

To learn more about Mardi Gras New Orleans style, check out this website.

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/

This is the prime weekend just before Fat Tuesday. Hotels will fill quickly and Priceline is probably not an option since the hotels sell out. If there are only one or two flyertalkers I will offer up the spare bedroom, but a whole FT float of people I just don't think could stay at my house. I am happy to play chaffeur for airport pickups, parade starting point drop offs, bead shopping, etc. If a large group does come my parents have been wanting to meet all my "travel buddies" as they say and will probably have a little New Orleans welcome party on Friday night. They love introducing Mardi Gras virgins to the city. My parents met at a MG parade 30 years ago, I think Mardi Gras is in my blood.

If you book plane tickets early you can get good deals.

My advice is to arrive on Friday evening and leave mid morning on Monday if you can't get both Monday and Tuesday off. If you don't plan on seeing the parades on Sunday you could leave Sunday but Sunday is alot of fun and is a shame to miss.

[This message has been edited by prncess674 (edited 07-11-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:30 am

I've been actually toying with the idea of joining either Endymion, who parades the Saturday evening before, or Orpheus, who parades on Lundi Gras, the night before.

Tucks is another cool krewe. I'll definitely have to look into this.

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.

[This message has been edited by studley (edited 07-11-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:44 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by studley:

prncess, you forgot to mention the big toilet bowl float the krewe have!

</font>
Well didn't want to inundate them with too much info, but just a bit more history on Tucks. Tucks makes light of alot of the stuffy Mardi Gras traditions. Most krewes pick a king to rule over the Krewe for the day. It is usually a very big honor. While it is an honor to be chosen "King" it is definitly not the traditionalist version. The king sits on his float a top a "Royal Throne" .... also known as a toilet. Instead of a rhinestone sceptre, has rules and waves with a "royal plunger".

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Quote from mardigrasunmasked.com

Signature float: The Royal Outhouse (new superfloat resembling a castle with gigantic potty prop and third-floor lounge complete with sofas, disco ball and full bar) and The King's Throne (formerly The Toilet Float)</font>

To read a "trip report" from another rider in Tucks check out this page.

http://itsadave.com/tucks.html

[This message has been edited by prncess674 (edited 07-11-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Currently all Hilton properties in the NOLA area are either sold out or are pricing out in the stratosphere...
Old Jul 11, 2002, 2:28 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Currently all Hilton properties in the NOLA area are either sold out or are pricing out in the stratosphere...</font>
I noticed that, but it is to be expected. I did price the DoubleTree in Metairie, which is very close to where I live for $152 a night which is a VERY good deal for MG, this is an internet only rate. Alot of properties with much lower standards are going for alot more than this. If anyone is even considering coming booking this for $152 is a good back up plan

If you are a Starwood person you could also cash in 3,000 points for the 4points on weekends and 4,000 points for weeknights. It is not luxurious but atleast you wouldn't be paying. The 4 points is pricing out at $159 which is totally not worth it but it is worth the points.

The other thing is you will not be in your room at all other than to sleep. It will be a very full weekend. Staying in Metairie may be a better option since you would need to go to the bead warehouse to buy throws the night before. Making it downtown is a BIG hassle during MG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.