Reload this Page >

the 'old' clique (of FlyerTalk)

Old Mar 16, 2002, 2:37 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

from time to time (recently also discussed by TalkBoard members) there are rumours and facts discussed about the old clique of FlyerTalk.

Here are some facts from a member of the old clique (this is entirely my own thinking, and this/my post has not been discussed in any way before posting now, with any other FlyerTalker/oldie):

Some 25 FlyerTalk oldies somewhen back in the very early days of FlyerTalk wanted, in add to the public conversations run on the board, also have a more private place to discuss more 'intimate'/'private' matters (often and in a huge majority things unrelated to FlyerTalk and miles: real private issues etc.).

Sure, yes, from time to time we also discussed FlyerTalk issues like:
* how to deal with multiple handles
* how to deal with fraud on FlyerTalk (an early FlyerTalker did missuse the trust we had in each other by using/stealing his well known fathers reputation and got some FlyerTalkers into real life trouble trusting him and his informations/invitations (we got rid of him!)
* how to deal with flame wars
* how to promote FlyerTalk (the OMNI awards were partially born out of this) and also the PIP (Party in Paradise) idea and organisation started 'within' this clique.
* the current FlyerTalk home-page link was first secured/registered by us and than given as a present to Randy at the PIP.
* when FlyerTalk was often down in the first 2 years, but also as we were not 100% happy with some early censoring, we created also an alternative 'back-up' board (for 'just in case'), always informing Randy and he didn't mind.

For those folling the TalkBoard discussions closely, it is probably no secret that currently some oldies (me included) of our/this 'old' clique (of FlyerTalk), are very much concerned about the way (openess?/fairness?), some of the now leading FlyerBoard members treat /discuss personal issues (of some of us, but also of other FlyerTalkers).

Rudi, a proud member of the FlyerTalk 'old' clique

(edited to correct some typing errors, that even I, a Swiss-german, noticed ...)

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 03-16-2002).]
Old Mar 16, 2002, 3:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Here, Here I agree. From an almost old clique member.

------------------
Cheers Scott
Old Mar 16, 2002, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I too am very proud (even honored) to be a member of the Old "Clique", most specifically proud because of the extremely high level of integrity, objectivity, understanding, respect, intelligence, decorum, generosity and kindness that has existed amongst its members from the beginning. Does this mean we always agree on everything? Absolutely not! Trust me, even Rudi and I have some subjects on which we have very politely, but very emphatically agreed to disagree.

What Rudi has not said is that he is a true gentlemen of the most exalted order, most worthy of the highest level of respect and admiration in all situations. He has also not said (and cannot say) that he has often been the guiding hand in making absolutely certain that all discussions conducted among Old "Clique" members (both in public and in private) have been conducted with true respect, honor and consideration for all persons, including persons whom we have never met and even persons who have exhibited less than honorable behavior in the past, whether or not they are present at the time or have access to the information under discussion.

Applause to the Old "Clique, to all it has done to enhance FlyerTalk over the years, and to all of you who, by virtue of your extremely high levels of integrity, understanding, objectivity, respect, intelligence, decorum, generosity and kindness will become the Old "Clique" members of tomorrow.

Old Mar 16, 2002, 5:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"extremely high levels of . . . intelligence, decorum, . . ."

--is that what we were exhibiting at Carnival in Dusseldorf!
(sometimes we may not be smart and we may not be proper, but we can have a lot of fun)

Hail to the Old F*rts (er Clique)!

------------------
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2002
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart
Old Mar 16, 2002, 6:25 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I'm certainly aware that a lot of the folks who have been here since Moses was a boy are the ones I've learned the most from and who have been warm and caring as they point out how little I really know about this miles game. Many of the oldies I've come to know personally, and I count them as great friends - a most welcome and unexpected benefit of having registered on this site almost two years ago.

I don't remotely resent the "Old Clique".. I'm thrilled there's one place left in the universe where the adjective "old" isn't applied to ME!
Old Mar 16, 2002, 8:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I have posted a number of times that we are alucky lot here at FlyerTalk that the first persons who got here (back in the days before registration dates were given) were the persons that they were.
They created a solid base for FlyerTalk that has weathered seemingly every storm thrown at it.
I for one am thankful that much like a passenger on a plane in turbulence there has been a crew working tirelessly and selfishly attempting to keep the plane on course.
Because for each and everyone of us the destination and the flight there has become a more rewarding experience here at flyertalk.
Thank you Rudi and all the other oldtimers.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 8:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I look at it this way: Say you are in college, and you become close with the folks in Freshman class with you. You form bonds and that is good. Then you come back Sophomore year, and there is a good base of friends, but also many new friends who are freshmen.

Soon, it is Junior year, and you have plenty of friends in both your class AND in the Sophomore class PLUS new ones every day who are freshmen

By Senior year, you are closer to some Juniors and Sophomores then many Seniors PLUS are making many new friends of freshmen.

And on and on.

Some of my closest FT "posse" have been on FT for less then a year.

So while I guess I'm firmly entrenched in several "cliques" I dont see that as a barrier to expanding relationships with anyone. To me, FT has ALWAYS been about the people (and the fun) first, the sharing of info second....
Old Mar 16, 2002, 9:36 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

What's a clique?
Old Mar 16, 2002, 9:43 am

Hats off to our founding brothers and sisters!
Old Mar 16, 2002, 10:10 am
RKG

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 0524:
Hats off to our founding brothers and sisters!</font>
My thoughts - exactly!

Old Mar 16, 2002, 10:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Rudi is one cool Dude that doesnt need anybody to throw him praise, but credit must be given where credit is due.

Let us all not forget Rudi is the prime example of a community member that helps hot-headed newbies like myself re-think our posts and edit them after we have clicked the "post" button. Rudi is always one of the first members of the community in welcoming newcomers to these boards, he is never tired of answering the same question 400 times (without just posting a link).

Rudi will even send you a follow up email to give you personalized advice. I experienced all this and more during my first 2 weeks at Flyertalk, all courtesy of the same Swiss Gentleman.

Its things like this that show you that no matter what the rules are or are-not, no matter who is appointed Moderator, President, Vice-president or Talkboard Member, there are some people on this board that because of certain intangibles create order & civility by their mere presence, with no need to throw their weight around or have some sort of badge to flash.

------------------
Gaucho100K

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 03-16-2002).]
Old Mar 16, 2002, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
My reference to the OLD and the NEW click on flyertalk was meant to be:

Old Click - The Flyertalkers here from the beginning. Or maybe 2 plus years.

New Click - Flyertalkers here less than 2 years.

This my friends was the tone of the statement. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The bad thing about writing things down (as I've discovered) is that they are w i d e open to interpretation.

If I may quote (hopefully not misquote) Charlie Brown, "Good Grief".

Now I know how the politicians feel.

Dan
Old Mar 16, 2002, 1:36 pm

DHammer53, how did you anticipate that your TalkBoard post might be interpreted? Here is the complete text.

"Punki seems to be standing on thin ice here. But because of her 'queen' reputation here on flyertalk, she thinks she can get away with murder. They'll always be clicks here. That's the way it is. She's part of the old guard here on FT. But look on the bright side, we're the New Click. Good always wins out over evil....eventually."

Old Mar 16, 2002, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'd like to add my thanks to the 'old' clique of FT'ers, without whose thoughts, ideas and comments on travel I never would have lasted here as long as I have. I've met quite a few of them (as well as many of the 'new' clique and am grateful to one and all!
Old Mar 16, 2002, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I, for one, am very happy to see the Old "Clique" active and participating in Flyertalk after all the growth and changes here. I think of them as being the alumnis of our little community here.

It's sad that some have moved on, but it's great that others remain to carry on the traditions of Flyertalk as well as make some new ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.