Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How soon does a flight vector after takeoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2001, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Are any two approaches or takeoffs identical?

It seems to me from my observation of the the approaches into YYZ (often over my house) that no two approaches are identical until the planes get within the last two or three miles of the runway.

Is it safe to assume that no two flights take exactly the same path on take-off or do they in fact usually follow exactly the same "roadway in the sky?"

Is anyone aware of a site that actually tracks flight paths or where one could find any useful information on this question?

Old Nov 5, 2001, 1:24 pm
CG

You can go to your local general aviation airport and pick up a copy of the approach plates, standard instrument arrivals (STARs), and standard instrument departures (DPs) to get the exact routing of aircraft into a given airport. The short answer to you question is that most aircraft follow a standard route that is usually very precise, especially on arrival. The final approach fix, beyond which no vectoring occurs, is usually no closer then 5nm to the airport. At busy international airports there is usually very little vectoring of inbound commercial air traffic anyway, the standard arrivals keep the flow organized and efficient. There are usually several different approaches into a given airport, however, and aircraft landing on parallel runways will fly similar headings with offset ground tracks.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
At the FT get-together in San Diego this past July we had some interesting views "behind the scenes." One was a meeting with the noise abatement folks. They showed us computer plots of the actual paths taken by several hundred flights in and out of SAN, as tracked by ground radar. Most followed the same few standard paths from the final approach fix, but there was a good deal of deviation around the centerline.

The fellow doing the presentation commented that the spread is shrinking with use of GPS. That, in turn, is leading to more noise complaints from residents directly under the center of the path. In the past, normal navigational variation kept planes somewhat spread out even if they were theoretically on the same approach path. Now they all come right down the middle - good news for folks who live a bit to the side, but pity those who get every one right overhead now!

SAN takeoffs and landings are more standardized than most others since it has just one runway (it's the world's busiest single-runway airport), winds (off the ocean) are more consistent than in most other places, and the hills directly inland from the airport constrain the flight paths. The same concepts probably apply elsewhere too, though.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
This thread is more appropriate in the OMNI forum.

--------
essxjay
FT Community moderator

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 11-06-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.