Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Mexico City-need advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2001, 4:39 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Going to Mexico City-need advice

I'm taking a mileage run down to MEX and would appreciate any advice concerning hotels. I'd like to stay someplace affordable but centrally located and pleasant so I may take advantage of the subway system. Any suggestions?

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Nov 2, 2001, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
You need to talk to GAUCHO100K (at least).
Old Nov 4, 2001, 4:56 pm

I made a quick trip to Mexico City (for some real Mexican food) earlier this year and can recommend the Hilton at the airport, which overlooks the runways though there is little is any noise from the planes. There is a metro stop at the airport as well, which was convenient for the 3 days that I was there.
Old Nov 4, 2001, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by raffy:
I made a quick trip to Mexico City (for some real Mexican food) earlier this year and can recommend the Hilton at the airport, which overlooks the runways though there is little is any noise from the planes. There is a metro stop at the airport as well, which was convenient for the 3 days that I was there.</font>
Since I am HHonors Diamond, I naturally considered the location at MEX. How close to the hotel is the subway station? I have a map of Mexico City that shows the subway routes but not out to the airport.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Nov 4, 2001, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

After doing some research, it appears that the Mexico City Airport Hilton is located inside
the new terminal on the 3rd floor. So....am I to understand that it is possible to pick up a subway line right at the airport that takes me into the city?

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited 11-04-2001).]
Old Nov 5, 2001, 3:15 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
yes: Hilton is inside the Airport, there is also a, in my opinion, more accomodating Marriott linked by a short pedestrian-bridge with the airport.

yes: easy, direct access to the metro system from the airport.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 3:13 pm

NOOOOOO...I know you're a mileage addict but you can't come down here and stay at the airport. Trust me on this. The airport is boring and the neighborhood surrounding it totally uninteresting and not particularly safe. If you want a little local flavor and don't want to pay very much, stay downtown by the Zocalo (try the Hotel Majestic or Canada). For something also very affordable in a great residential/business/restaurant/shopping area that's within walking distance to Museum of Anthropology and Chapultepec Park, try the Hotel Polanco in Polanco. Either way, you'll experience being in the middle of a fascinating city instead of a soon-to-be-mall, which is what they're turning the current airport into after the new one is built. Polanco also has chains like Intercontinental, Nikko and Marriott if local hotels don't do it for you.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 3:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
This thread is probably better repositioned in the Mileage Run forum ...

-------------
essxjay
FT Community moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.