Vancouver Get Together

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver Get Together

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2001, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Unfortunately, all wine sales are handled through BC government liquor stores, and thus your tasting opportunities in the city are extremely limited or non-existent. Most major stores will have a good selection of local wines, and generally a knowledgeable sales person to help you out. There will likely also be some brochures from the local industry to give a bit of a guide.

For those staying in the city centre, I find the best liquor store is on the main floor of a parking garage, a blockup between Georgia and Robson,on Alberni at the corner of Thurlow. That's a block from both the Hyatt and the Hotel Vancouver. They sometimes have tastings, but don't count on it. There is a small fine wine room, and the staff will certainly be able to help navigate you through the local choices. Being good public servants, they cannot recommend specific wineries per se.

Smaller liquor stores will have an adequate selection.

And while Guiness is nice -- the NAmerican bottled version is still brewed in the city, but you can also get the real thing from Dublin in pubs as draft, or buy the nitrogen laden cans -- I suggest you check out some of the local craft brews. This was, afterall, where the microbrew industry in Canada had its origins. GRANVILLE ISLAND makes a good line of lagers and lighter style ales. SHAFTEBURY is one of my favourites, and again it specializes in lighter style ales. Check out their seaonal, the just released Summer Solstice Ale. There is also OKANAGAN SPRINGS, one of the larger craft breweries from the interior. You will find most specialize in ales over lagers, given the British heritage out here and the lack until the past decade of any decent ales from the Molson and Labatt national labels. But none of the local ales get into the heavier and darker style of most British ones. For that, you have to try neighbouring Alberta's BIG ROCK Traditional Ale, a western classic.

Hope this helps. In the spirit of full discloser, and as my username implies, I am a shareholder in SHAFTEBURY and OKANAGAN SPRINGS, but don't take this post as an ad for their brews. Give 'em a try and judge for yourself. Let me know your impressions when we meet on Saturday.

Safe travelling.
Old May 18, 2001, 8:19 am
In Memoriam

Shareholder: Thank you for taking the time to make such a considerate and useful response. Although I am a stout and porter fan myself, I will take your suggestion and try some of the local brews. Being from a semi-small town, we have one pub with inconvenient hours in town that draws a good Guinness (by US standards), so always look for it on tap elsewhere. Thanks again, and Michael and I will see if we can have something to report tomorrow on local beers/wines.
Old May 18, 2001, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'll be looking for the Okanagan Springs beer. I was out in Penticton 2 weeks ago in the Okanagan Valley, but that was a trip to visit wineries and friends.

Just about ready to board my 1305 UA SEA flight at SFO, then on to YVR from there on Air B.C. Look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

(edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by tom911 (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old May 19, 2001, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We got in late last night. Is anything happening today?
Old May 19, 2001, 11:04 am
Original Member

I haven't heard of anything planned for the day. I'm about to move over to the Delta Vancouver Suites hotel

I don't have the number there yet, but the room is under "Chris Rauenbusch" if anyone wants to grab a drink or something this afternoon.
Old May 19, 2001, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Its now about 12:50PM on Saturday and I just flew in from PDX and am now at the Sheraton Wall Centre, waiting to hook up with WaterGirl, who I think has been meandering around Chinatown this morning. My room isn't ready yet so I am in the exec lounge, where I found a computer with a high speed internet connection! Anyway, I guess we'll do some site seeing for a while and then hook up with everyone at Aquariva this evening.
Old May 19, 2001, 5:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

We walked about 6 miles today and jst got back to our room to relax a while before dinner. We are at the Westin Grand which is very close to Aquariva. Stop by and ask for Punki!
Old May 19, 2001, 5:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Whoops. Dupe

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 05-19-2001).]
Old May 20, 2001, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well we did have a little pre-party in our room. Blonde Bomber, Ken Hammer, shareholder, Ozstamps and Joh all dropped by to visit, Hunki, Peregrine and I for a pleasant drink before dinner. Thanks to Oz and Joh for providing the champagne.

Somehow we all magically squeezed into Ken Hammer's van and went dow to the harbor front where Ken's amazing parking fairy found us a parking place on the street very nearby. We then joined up with the rest of the gang for another round of drinks and dinner.

It was grand indeed to see some folks I hadn't seen for quite some time and exciting, as always, to meet new Flyer Talkers from around the world, especially young Goldlust who came all the way from Copenhagen just for dinner. (I think we have a junior Rudi in the making there.)

I am also thrilled to report that Village Idiot is not an idiot at all, bt instead a very delightful and clever young man. It was a grand evening and now I must run off and get ready for brunch. I am sure you will hear much more later.
Old May 20, 2001, 1:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm at SEA-TAC in the 1K room (Hi Trish!) on my way home. United Express flight from Vancouver was 100% full, and left a ton of luggage behind (making me greatful I was not one of the passengers continuing on to Atlanta, Jacksonville, or Chicago, as they were continuing on minus their luggage). Alas, no bump here.

Wanted to thank Tropical Flyer (Sylvia) for all the hard work putting this together. I had a great time! Dinner last night was the highlight, but the whole weekend was fun.

Was nice meeting some new Flyer Talk friends that I have not had the occasion to meet before (Captain Mike, Village Idiot, Ken Hammer, Shadow, TravelWeary, Cocoanut and EPS immediately come to mind, and others who I can't recall as I quickly type), and equally as nice catching up with those of you I have met at the NYC or SF get togethers recently.

Special thanks to the Saturday morning chauffers, Shadow and Ken Hammer, for safely driving some of us on a wonderful tour around the Vancouver area.

Looking forward to the San Diego get together in July.

1:45 update: just was bumped off the 1:30 SFO flight, and have another $200 voucher Fly out in another hour. Thankyou, UA.

2:55 update: just bumped off the 2:34 flight, too.....another $200 voucher. Now I am flying out at 3:55.

Might have to do more get togethers in the Northwest so I can get bumped some more

[This message has been edited by tom911 (edited 05-20-2001).]
Old May 21, 2001, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks TropicalFlyer for arranging things and thanks to Ken hAAmer for being such an excellent chauffeur/host.

See you again soon.
Old May 21, 2001, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Adding my thanks to Sylvia and Ken for a great time. Especially appreciative of Ken's airport pickup of me after midnight on Friday. Vancouver is a great city and I'd go back any time!
Old May 21, 2001, 10:49 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Where are the pictures!! Trip report, trip report!! Hope everyone had a good time. Sad I missed it.

Linda
Old May 21, 2001, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Decided at the last minute to do the trip afterall -- AC webspecial, a Starwood free night, and the first stay of the new Hilton 50K promo provided additional incentive -- and had a very pleasant day and evening on Saturday, and good dim sum brunch on Sunday. Thanks to Sylvia for pulling it all together, and bringing along some friends. And to KH who provided chauffer duties in his Dodge Caravan. Nice to finally meet him after three other attempts when through YVR. As well as rendezvousing in the T2 MLL at YYZ with Academic and his daughter Megan, who is certain to be joining the ranks of FLYERTALK: The Next Generation. I was still somewhat time zone challenged from my weeks in Africa, so by 10:30 Saturday believe I had bid farewell to make it back to the Westin. But I do recall BB before he slipped off on the continuation of his latest MHD, as well as Dorian who had just go off the plane from HKG, plus transPacific travellers Ozstamps and Joh, not to forget Punki and the other Joe, and Fisch. And yes, there was even a meeting of minds with Goldlust...who assures me he will fly Air Canada metal by the time he achieves Elite later this year! Great weather, good cheap eats. Fine friends, old and new.

Well, next time it will be Portland.
Old May 21, 2001, 2:31 pm

Yes, it was a great weekend...and another round of thanks to TropicalFlyer for inviting us to her hometown. Great to see CocoaNut again and to meet Malia.

Ling, I didn't take many pictures this trip, but here are a few... http://community.webshots.com/user/shadow45

Glad to finally meet Dorian, Village Idiot, Ken HAAmer, Goldlust, tom911, loco miler, KevinB and others as well.

Always great to see TravelWeary & Michael, Punki & Joe, nathan detroit and Horizons (who at least made it to the Sunday Dim Sum Brunch).

I'm still bummed that I can't make the PDX or SAN get-togethers in July...

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 05-21-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.