FT Winetasting Dates Signup List

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2000, 8:08 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

FT Winetasting Dates Signup List

Wineloving fellow travelers,

Here is where you can RSVP sort of. We have had great feedback in this topic about where, when, how, etc., and we should keep it here for further discussions on those points. Much planning ahead. I would however like to try to keep an easily tabulated list of how many for which event (I think two events is unanimously agreed). So this topic has come into being.

The dates I am proposing are as follows
[list=a] [*] (Australia) 18, 19, 20 March[*] (Australia) 17, 18, 19 April[*] (Provence) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 November (in fact any 3 days in this period)[*] Fill In Choice[/list=a]

I have included a "fill in" space as a fall back, but if we can get people to use the choices here (or an alternative that gains popular consent) the planning gets easier.Please indicate which one(s) you will likely attend and we can get down to making some more concrete arrangements for the first event.

Thanks,

Mike

[This message has been edited by mjm (edited 11-23-2000).]
Old Nov 23, 2000, 12:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Mike,

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

A. [X]
B. [ ]
C. [X]
D. [ ]
Old Nov 23, 2000, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
B and C work well for me.

My business is a little slow that time of year.

Dan
Old Nov 23, 2000, 7:45 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
B & C. Dependent on fares/upgrades/free tickets ot OZ for B.
Old Nov 23, 2000, 7:45 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
B & C. Dependent on fares/upgrades/free tickets ot OZ for B.
Old Nov 23, 2000, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
A or B (Barossa Valley Sth Aust. preferred)

C

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-23-2000).]
Old Nov 23, 2000, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
A. is out! We are already committed to NYC for March 2001, so are in hopes that the trip to Australia won't conflict.

B. Yes! If we can get decent tickets.

C. Provence? YES!

D. How about Argentina or Chile??

D+ Let's think about a Washington, Oregon or California tour as well.

I think wine touring should, as my friend Catman would say, be done early and often!

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 11-23-2000).]
Old Nov 23, 2000, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

!!!WARNING!!!

My advice is to totally and completely forget about option B. (OZ April 17-19)

Just bought my desk diary today for 2001 and noticed EASTER is Good Friday April 13, and Easter Monday is April 16th. Both are national public holidays, and Easter is (here anyway) THE biggest holiday season outside Xmas. ALSO Anzac Day is (as always!) April 25 is also a national holiday, so many folks just take the whole period off and go on vacation with families when Easter falls close.

ALSO school vacation for NSW is April 13-27, and I imagine same for Sth Aust (Barossa area) as well.

All this means is it is like mid July in the USA. EVERY flight discount is pulled for Easter. Redempton FF seats on QF and AN for those who will be seeking those, (and many of you will I am certain) will have been booked out months back, more than likely, that's if the airlines have not blocked them first.

ANY kind of accomodation still available will be full rack rate, as will car rental rates, and wherever you go, you'll be doing it/seeing it with USA/Europe "height of summer" type crowds.

Sorry I had not checked where Easter falls this year previously, but the factors above really make the March dates FAR more sensible. ALSO airfare "seasons" here (used by all airlines) change on March 31. Travel your fliirst sector UP to March 31 and it is then lowest cost zone for entire year for It'l travel. Also domestic air fares are always on sale too in that "quiet" month, and deals on Hotels etc clearly a cinch.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-23-2000).]
Old Nov 23, 2000, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
OK, Oz, if that April weekend is out and preempted, what weekend would you advise for Australia?

Please remember that many FTers might need a couple of weeks in between flights.
Old Nov 24, 2000, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Punki .. thought you were on the Whistler slopes with Rudi and Kyklin?! Well, Good Friday is the start of the 2 week holiday, so all I was doing is letting those here know in advance! Hate to see a lot of FT'ers try to use UA points for AN flights or AA points for QF flights etc, and find everyone was getting nowhere, and drawing blanks!

I feel sure anyone flying here from North America or Europe, especially for the first time, wants to burn some miles and get off to see the Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock etc before or after the wine tasting, and will thus need to buy or redeem domestic tickets. That just will be hard if not impossible mid to late April.

Everyone here will have different needs. Anyone needing to PAY for a ticket will I think find it cheaper if leaving USA before end March due to the "seasons" - a call to your airline might confirm that? Remember, weather in Australia is pretty much identical in March or April - April being nearer our "Winter" so March will actually be slightly warmer.

Seems from mjm's efficient summary, that middish MARCH dates looked good for many?? I personally hope to be on the UA re-started round the world March 30/31 to about April 11, visiting LAX, Hong Kong, New Delhi, London, Washington etc, and have booked seats already.

I am posting that to the UA board this weekend to see how much (or little!) interest there is in that. So if that does happen, and seeing some may be also attending the Catman dinner March 23/5 area, the middle March region(Say March 13-18 band?) for OZ winetasting might suit all combinations that FT'ers might want to do? All 3 FT events or any combination, would then be possible if any were interested and had the time and money.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-24-2000).]
Old Nov 25, 2000, 10:22 am
geo1004

March 18-20th for Aussie wine tasting, followed by a QF Dreamtime seat to NYC for the Catman-Doo III the weekend of March 24th?

Old Nov 25, 2000, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I'm just going to steall essxjay's post

A. [X]
B. [ ]
C. [X]
D. [ ]

Actually anytime in March in Oz is good for me.
Old Nov 25, 2000, 1:41 pm

Oz is right April freebees WILL be a problem but April would suit me-Ill be in Bali in march for a friends 60th birthday-but I could fly back to either Perth or Adelaide- after Provence what about champagne country??isnt november a little cold in france?spose southern france will be ok.Anyway count me in for france and hopefully Australia
Old Nov 26, 2000, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
A and C work for me, but this may put in question the UA r-t-w since it will be impossible to justify two trips of such duration within weeks of each other. The Provence dates, of course, would be the anniversary of the PiP and DUS gatherings, so I suspect this may become 2001s version.
Old Nov 26, 2000, 8:30 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Shareholder,

Excellent point on the anniversary. Had not considered it. I finally will make one of these gigs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.