Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 4:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Greetings from Cairns!

Landed at 12:30pm today with friend #1 and #2 after SFO-MEL-CNS (my first time on a 787). Got upgraded ocean view rooms at the DoubleTree. Scouted dinner locations and ended up at the RSL near our hotel. I had Texas chicken schnitzel for a very reasonable $A24/$US16.50. Here for two more nights.

Old May 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I got meetings all day friday in parramatta, you can tag along
Tempting...
Old May 18, 2019, 2:34 pm

Just a note that the Parramatta ferry dock is closed for remodeling if you were thinking about going up by River Cat ferry.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
Landed at 12:30pm today with friend #1 and #2 after SFO-MEL-CNS (my first time on a 787). Got upgraded ocean view rooms at the DoubleTree. Scouted dinner locations and ended up at the RSL near our hotel. I had Texas chicken schnitzel for a very reasonable $A24/$US16.50. Here for two more nights.

Chicken Parma in Australia is always the size of Texas! I sometimes wonder if it's emu rather than chicken.
tom911 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:22 am

Pouring rain in Cairns

Heavy rain came in around 4:30 so didn't venture far for dinner at 6:30. Nok and restlessinRNO arrived this afternoon and were able to join us at the the RSL.

Old May 19, 2019, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I was looking into the Bridge Climb and found this on Klook:

https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity...-bridge-climb/

US$170 vs $183 booked directly. (They have discounts on the other types also.)

Doing the Climb in the evening with the Vivid lights sounded neat -- unfortunately this means I'll be skipping the organized dinner on Friday since I 'd already booked Sunday evening for the observatory night tour :-/
Old May 19, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
I had Texas chicken schnitzel for a very reasonable $A24/$US16.50.
Clipped the pix, but what exactly was that that? Fried chicken, topped with cheese, and BBQ sauce (is what it looked like)? At least in Texas we usually have the veggies on the side don't bury then under the good stuff!
Old May 19, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Clipped the pix, but what exactly was that that? Fried chicken, topped with cheese, and BBQ sauce (is what it looked like)? At least in Texas we usually have the veggies on the side don't bury then under the good stuff!
It's chicken parmigiana which is a staple Australian pub meal. Crumbed chicken breast that's pan fried or grilled and then covered with tomato sauce and cheese before being grilled. It's typical to have it with chips (fries to you Americans) and side salad rather than veges.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's chicken parmigiana which is a staple Australian pub meal. Crumbed chicken breast that's pan fried or grilled and then covered with tomato sauce and cheese before being grilled. It's typical to have it with chips (fries to you Americans) and side salad rather than veges.
Often slices of ham are layered under the cheese as well.

To ham or not to ham when ordering a chicken parma
Old May 20, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Sounds like serious consideration should be given to renaming this Do from OzFest to OzFeast.....
Old May 20, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
At least in Texas we usually have the veggies on the side don't bury then under the good stuff!
There's actually mashed potatoes under the schnitzel with veggies along the edge. It was a pretty large meal. I'm working on more photos right now and will get them added to the front page of my website within the next 2 hours. Just click the link below and you can look at prawns, barramundi, lamb korma, and other meals we've been enjoying.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I was looking into the Bridge Climb and found this on Klook:

https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity...-bridge-climb/

US$170 vs $183 booked directly. (They have discounts on the other types also.)

Doing the Climb in the evening with the Vivid lights sounded neat -- unfortunately this means I'll be skipping the organized dinner on Friday since I 'd already booked Sunday evening for the observatory night tour :-/
I see the night time sessions are cheaper than during the day however,
I would recommend Bridgeclimb during daylight when you can appreciate the distant views east and west and later walking across the Bridge at your leisure any evening between 6pm-midnight to see Vivid.

To get you excited, I was under the Bridge at Milsons Point last night and some Vivid illumination is already on and it looks spectacular.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by Aspen; May 20, 2019 at 5:03 pm Reason: Cheaper at night time
Old May 20, 2019, 9:20 pm

OZ Fest 2019

I am arriving early on Sunday May 26th. Is there room for one more Sunday only before I head back to Chicago?
Old May 20, 2019, 9:30 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mimi100
I am arriving early on Sunday May 26th. Is there room for one more Sunday only before I head back to Chicago?
You are welcome to join in the Sunday walk and/or Sunday vivid cruise as post 3

For the Sunday Watson's Bay walk just show up (refer post 3)

For the Sunday vivid cruise please pay as the link in post 3 or below (groupon) for 5:15pm departure on Sunday 26th May.
And here -->https://www.groupon.com.au/deals/gl-...mp;d=deal-page

Links to
Old May 20, 2019, 11:32 pm

About to head out in this wonderful Qantas first class, LAX-SYD, alongside Cocobird who also happens to be here in the seat behind me. Looking forward to meeting/seeing everyone in a few days!
JohnSydney2000, QF WP and serfty like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.