Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:57 pm

Alright - bit the bullet and committed! Please change me to Platinum.
I'll be there for Friday dinner and Saturday dinner. Jetting into SYD for 1840h arrival, though between the evening rush, possible delays and whatever traffic between Mascot and Redfern, there's a chance I'll be sitting down to dinner late.

Just need to sort out some accommodation and I'll be set.

Flight to SYD: Friday, QF545 d 1705 a 1840
Flight from SYD: Sunday, QF548 d 1915 a 2045
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks Storyteller! Booked and paid for both dinner events. Looking forward to catching up with old friends, and meeting new...
Itsalongwaydown likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 29, 2019 at 12:48 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Hilton DT Melbourne 22 May
QF426 MEL-SYD 23 May
Hilton Sydney 23-26 May
QF435 SYD-MEL 26 May
Pan Pacific Melbourne 26 May
Both dinners booked and paid.
Bundy Bear and JessicaTam like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I hope the Hilton is prepared for the big influx of guests with status! 😀
Itsalongwaydown likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cocobird
I have a couple of questions pertaining to Vivid Sydney. Chatswood appears to have the largest number of light installations, and there is a frequent train running there. Once there, does anyone know whether the light show is centralized or whether there is local public transportation to easily see them? Would I need to rent a car (scary thought)? Is anyone else thinking of going?
Chatswood Vivid displays are all within five minutes walk of Chatswood Railway Station - definitely do not need a car. Very easy and a good variety of food options away from the touristy part of Sydney.
cocobird likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I hope the Hilton is prepared for the big influx of guests with status! 😀
I genuinely hope you’ll all receive decent upgrades but do be aware that Hilton Sydney gets a lot of Gold and Diamond guests any day of the week so don’t be surprised if the better upgrades are not readily available. Also the relaxation rooms and suites are usually more popular with guests booking for weekend stays than business travellers on the weekdays, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:50 am

I’m in for both dinners on Fri/Sat as well, and have booked/paid through the website.

I spent a few days in Sydney on my previous trip to Australia, but I didn’t get to any of it’s beaches or the Zoo before, so I’ll definitely be doing some of that during my visit. Also the dinner cruise mentioned as a sunday possibility looks interesting, so I'm thinking about that. Getting excited, less than a month away!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aeolus

I genuinely hope you’ll all receive decent upgrades but do be aware that Hilton Sydney gets a lot of Gold and Diamond guests any day of the week so don’t be surprised if the better upgrades are not readily available. Also the relaxation rooms and suites are usually more popular with guests booking for weekend stays than business travellers on the weekdays, etc.
Yip - anything beyond a regular Executive room there is a bonus. Gold and Diamond get these pretty much as standard, but on a weekend or a multi night stay you've got to be very lucky to get a relaxation room (which are my favourite) - suite upgrades are almost unheard of. The high occupancy rate at this hotel is crazy.

I know a lot of people do love to hate on the property, but it's definitely one of my favourite hotels.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: QF OWE, NZ EP, Le Club Gold, HH Silver
Me and +1 are booked for both dinners, looking forward to seeing you all there!

Any consensus on what to do during the day on Saturday or is a general 'own time' situation?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Tickets booked for Saturday Seafood dinner. We will be staying Friday and Saturday at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:11 pm

One thing I hadn't seen anybody mention so far that's definitely worth doing is the Bondi - Coogee coastal track. It's an awesome walk/run and it's one of my favourite things to do in Sydney on a nice day.
Just be aware that on weekends if the weather is nice half of Sydney also thinks it's a great thing to do so it does get very busy.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:16 pm

I've just booked and paid for both Fri and Sat dinners on Eventbrite.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Both Friday and Saturday dinners booked for Mrs. DELee and I.

David
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Cheers young Storyteller! .Have booked and paid for both dinners. Staying at Hilton Fri/Sat nights.
Bundy Bear and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Thanks for putting the dinners together. I noticed the spreadsheets do not show me as coming to both dinners yet. Surprised since I paid for them within minutes of the dinner announcements. Is there an issue I should follow up with Eventbrite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.