Chicago Seminars Dinner - Saturday, October 21, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Dinner - Saturday, October 21, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by javabytes
Not sure how I got assigned to the hotel van - I do not need a ride, so someone can have my spot.
Thanks for noticing. Adjusted ride list. smcjp is next on the list and can use the hotel shuttle.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:50 pm

Attending but not driving

I'm still attending but did not end up picking up my rental car so folks suggested to ride with me will need to find a ride or we can split an Uber.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Great dinner and conversation this evening. I tend to find these smaller settings even more useful than many of the sessions.

Less cool that out of the 50 confirmed attendees, only 30 showed and the room Jimmy's was nice enough to set aside for us went only half filled...
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Many thanks to everyone who made it last night. I apologize for being stuck abroad, but hope it was a worthwhile evening.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Less cool that out of the 50 confirmed attendees, only 30 showed and the room Jimmy's was nice enough to set aside for us went only half filled...
Agree. It's truly a shame that 50% of the confirmed attendees either no-showed or cancelled the day of the dinner (including several who had previously volunteered to drive). That's beyond unappreciative to the restaurant and shouldn't be how we do things here on FlyerTalk.

-FlyerBeek
hi55us likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Many thanks to everyone who made it last night. I apologize for being stuck abroad, but hope it was a worthwhile evening.

Agree. It's truly a shame that 50% of the confirmed attendees either no-showed or cancelled the day of the dinner (including several who had previously volunteered to drive). That's beyond unappreciative to the restaurant and shouldn't be how we do things here on FlyerTalk.

-FlyerBeek
I agree on the no-shows, but honestly the Restaurant didn't seem too disappointed and where busy enough with the smaller crowd we brought.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I never attend this dinner (although I'd like to!) because I'm too busy selling raffle tickets at the hotel. But agree - very bad form for folk to just cancel w/ no notice/no show, especially those who offered cars.

What doubly sucks is that I was personally asked by some attending the conference about attending the dinner & I told them that the dinner was sold out based on the updates in this thread. Those folk could have attended if we had known others were going to drop the ball.

And while it's nice that the restaurant didn't mind because they were busy, what if it had gone the other way & they were really depending on the 50 people attending/revenue? Also, it hurts FlyerBeek in the future in trying to line up dinner at this venue because his credibility just dropped based on this year's no-shows.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:37 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hi55us
I agree on the no-shows, but honestly the Restaurant didn't seem too disappointed and where busy enough with the smaller crowd we brought.
feel you are missing the point. It isn't just about the restaurant.

It is a lot of work to put together a dinner, let alone a large one, FlyerBeek has done this a number of years now. Not showing at last minute is disrespectful to FlyerBeek and the efforts they put forth.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:45 am

A belated thank you to FlyerBeek for arranging this dinner. It was the highlight of our weekend. We enjoyed our table mates so much. Thank you Ducescoop for picking up for FlyerBeek. So much work and we couldn't thank you personally. Hope you are home soon.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

. It's truly a shame that 50% of the confirmed attendees either no-showed or cancelled the day of the dinner (including several who had previously volunteered to drive). That's beyond unappreciative to the restaurant and shouldn't be how we do things here on FlyerTalk.

-FlyerBeek
Shameful. Just shamefull. Here's what I suggest for next year. Ask everyone to send you a non-refundable deposit (that's refundable until a day before the dinner). If someone no-shows, the deposit will be donated to whatever charity the University was donating to.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.