krazykanuck
nomadic.relief
mattp1987 +1 (local resident)

I might be there
Middle_Seat

I'm out
Zorak -- looking unlikely at this point
monitor+1 - work gets in the way
nutwpinut - work gets in the way Double sad because I am local If something on the schedule pops up Sunday night, I can make that.

Schedule

Friday, December 1
(note: first friday downtown)

4:30 pm: Beers at Kuenstler Brewing (302 E Lachapelle, San Antonio, TX 78204) for those arriving early

7:30 pm: Trinity University Christmas Concert (my alma mater, I may attend, others are welcome)

Saturday, December 2

9-9:30ish am: Pearl Farmer's market/breakfast
1:30 pm: Lunch at Two Brothers BBQ (12656 West Ave, San Antonio, TX 78216)
5:00 pm: Dinner/drinks before game?

7:30 pm: SA Rampage Game

Sunday, December 3
(marathon this morning)

11:45 am: Brunch, Southerleigh Brewery at Pearl (krazykanuck has made a reservation for 6)

Hotels

krazykanuck: Hilton Garden Inn SA Airport South

San Antonio has chains and budgets to suit everybody. My personal recommendations...

Hilton

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Emily Morgan Doubletree

These two are my 2 favorite Hilton's in the city. Neither one has an exec lounge, but they both have a great breakfast, and at the Palacio you can have your breakfast on the Riverwalk patio. I usually pick between the two based on price.

Emily Morgan swaps the corporate Hilton look for a Texan style. You can't go wrong with either one.

Hilton San Antonio Airport - I only list because it's typically pretty cheap on the weekends. It's not odd to see rates in the $90-100/nt range. Exec lounge is closed on weekends, but it has a good breakfast. Only a ~$10 uber to downtown from here.

Hyatt

There's a Hyatt Regency downtown (12k pts/nt) and there is a Hyatt Place a few miles up the highway near the Quarry that is 5k pts/nt.

mattp1987 edit: There's also a Grand Hyatt downtown (12k pts/nt) that is currently (as of 3 Oct) showing cheaper cash prices than the Hyatt Regency. I've never stayed there, but it's right next to the Tower of the Americas and has a nice-looking rooftop pool (no idea if it's heated since this is for Dec).

StarMar

This is a bit harder, there are only a few SPG properties downtown and I've never stayed in any of them. The Sheraton Gunter is usually fairly priced and has a club lounge, the Westin is higher priced, and I don't think the St. Anthony is on anybody's list as a Luxury Collection hotel, though frankly it's usually priced close to the Westin. I'd avoid most of the Marriott properties, IIRC they're pretty dated, especially the Rivercenter one.

mattp1987 edit: I've done a staycation at the St. Anthony, and it's quite nice. I got an FHR rate under $200 on a weekend, and we were upgraded from lowest King room to a 1BR suite. Rebelle is a great use of the F+B credit, and room service breakfast was pretty good as well. There's also a Four Points at the airport for 3k pts/night on the weekend which can be a good deal for those who are interested.
Print Wikipost

Interest in SAT DO? Dec 1-3?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jrl767
one vote for 🏒
​​​​​​🏒🏒

(I'm not editing to match jrl767's edit )
Old May 15, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Be aware that SAT is currently a very popular destination for BA Tier Point runners, as it's possible to get 640 points (Oneworld Sapphire) from a round trip from Manchester (England) to SAT routed correctly.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:42 pm

I too vote for hockey!!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Arrow

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I too vote for hockey!!
+ the two or us for sure.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I too vote for hockey!!
Me too. Rampage games are a ton of fun, we used to go a lot in college, especially on $1 hot dog and $1 beer nights, though those were usually week day night promos.

OP, seems like there is definitely enough interest to plan something, so I hope it works out! Please let me know if I (as a semi-recent former SA resident) can be of any help.

Last edited by krazykanuck; May 15, 2017 at 8:34 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Since I've never been to a hockey game and have no idea how it works, would the hockey experts be willing to provide a crash course in the rules if I went to the game with them?
Old May 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cocobird
Since I've never been to a hockey game and have no idea how it works, would the hockey experts be willing to provide a crash course in the rules if I went to the game with them?
Check!
Old May 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Rampage website says the schedule will be released sometime this Summer. The season starts early Oct, so they'll be playing but the question is whether they're at home.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:23 pm

I am okay with waiting for the schedule to come out.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd vote for something besides December myself- basically a blackout period for personal travel for me. Having done quite a bit of the riverwalk already, it would be interesting to see it with an FT flair. So something Jan-April but understand I have only one vote
Old May 25, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
SAT sounds good to me. First weekend in December....
Living 90 miles from Montreal we see lots of hockey 😆
..... so my vote would be for a Spurs game.
count me as very likely.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm certainly interested. I like the city and would love an excuse to come back. December works fine for me.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Living 90 miles from Montreal we see lots of hockey 😆
..... so my vote would be for a Spurs game.

They share an arena, so it's likely that only one will have a home game on any given weekend.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I'm interested in attending. My sister, niece and her kids, reside in San Antonio and I usually visit 2-3 times a year. Sometime during the first couple of weeks in December would certainly work.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sorry haven't posted in a bit. Still on for 1ST weekend in December. I'll post more once I'M back in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.