krazykanuck
nomadic.relief
mattp1987 +1 (local resident)

I might be there
Middle_Seat

I'm out
Zorak -- looking unlikely at this point
monitor+1 - work gets in the way
nutwpinut - work gets in the way Double sad because I am local If something on the schedule pops up Sunday night, I can make that.

Schedule

Friday, December 1
(note: first friday downtown)

4:30 pm: Beers at Kuenstler Brewing (302 E Lachapelle, San Antonio, TX 78204) for those arriving early

7:30 pm: Trinity University Christmas Concert (my alma mater, I may attend, others are welcome)

Saturday, December 2

9-9:30ish am: Pearl Farmer's market/breakfast
1:30 pm: Lunch at Two Brothers BBQ (12656 West Ave, San Antonio, TX 78216)
5:00 pm: Dinner/drinks before game?

7:30 pm: SA Rampage Game

Sunday, December 3
(marathon this morning)

11:45 am: Brunch, Southerleigh Brewery at Pearl (krazykanuck has made a reservation for 6)

Hotels

krazykanuck: Hilton Garden Inn SA Airport South

San Antonio has chains and budgets to suit everybody. My personal recommendations...

Hilton

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Emily Morgan Doubletree

These two are my 2 favorite Hilton's in the city. Neither one has an exec lounge, but they both have a great breakfast, and at the Palacio you can have your breakfast on the Riverwalk patio. I usually pick between the two based on price.

Emily Morgan swaps the corporate Hilton look for a Texan style. You can't go wrong with either one.

Hilton San Antonio Airport - I only list because it's typically pretty cheap on the weekends. It's not odd to see rates in the $90-100/nt range. Exec lounge is closed on weekends, but it has a good breakfast. Only a ~$10 uber to downtown from here.

Hyatt

There's a Hyatt Regency downtown (12k pts/nt) and there is a Hyatt Place a few miles up the highway near the Quarry that is 5k pts/nt.

mattp1987 edit: There's also a Grand Hyatt downtown (12k pts/nt) that is currently (as of 3 Oct) showing cheaper cash prices than the Hyatt Regency. I've never stayed there, but it's right next to the Tower of the Americas and has a nice-looking rooftop pool (no idea if it's heated since this is for Dec).

StarMar

This is a bit harder, there are only a few SPG properties downtown and I've never stayed in any of them. The Sheraton Gunter is usually fairly priced and has a club lounge, the Westin is higher priced, and I don't think the St. Anthony is on anybody's list as a Luxury Collection hotel, though frankly it's usually priced close to the Westin. I'd avoid most of the Marriott properties, IIRC they're pretty dated, especially the Rivercenter one.

mattp1987 edit: I've done a staycation at the St. Anthony, and it's quite nice. I got an FHR rate under $200 on a weekend, and we were upgraded from lowest King room to a 1BR suite. Rebelle is a great use of the F+B credit, and room service breakfast was pretty good as well. There's also a Four Points at the airport for 3k pts/night on the weekend which can be a good deal for those who are interested.
Print Wikipost

Interest in SAT DO? Dec 1-3?

Old May 8, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
A decade ago my parents hosted/setup a DO in SAT. Curious if there's any interest in having one again? If so what time of year? Fiesta is in April (just ended for this year) and December brings Christmas to the riverwalk. June-Early Sept is hot season. Either Fiesta or during early December would be ideal IMO. Otherwise open to ideas.
Considering I live here for now, I should definitely be able to make it If you want some help let me know.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the dates and specific plans, I could be interested.

However, won't hotels be full and expensive around the Christmas and festival periods?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:19 am

Christmas Week and the week after Christmas (bowl game) will have expensive hotel rooms, but the weeks before Christmas should be fine.

It will be expensive during Fiesta week.

As a suggestion, but depends on the time of year and the right number of people, would be to have riverboat dining on the Riverwalk.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:05 am

I'd be in if it was sometime in December, I don't seem to be working then!
Old May 9, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm guessing that the DO mentioned was in 2005 using a celebration of Texas Independence as an excuse (as if one were needed) to have a get-together.

We seem to recall that Middle_Seat and paradocs were the locals who organized the party and if the OP is organizing in the same spirit, we can be sure that this one will be a very good affair. If it is held on the first weekend of December, it will go on our calendar and we will try to be there. Unfortunately, the second weekend does not work for us.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I am not free the first weekend, but if you choose the second weekend I am likely to show up.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on the dates and specific plans, I could be interested.

However, won't hotels be full and expensive around the Christmas and festival periods?
They normally don't go up till much later in the month. Even then SAT has a very low cost for most hotels compared to other big cities. Even riverwalk hotels aren't bad generally.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Christmas Week and the week after Christmas (bowl game) will have expensive hotel rooms, but the weeks before Christmas should be fine.

As a suggestion, but depends on the time of year and the right number of people, would be to have riverboat dining on the Riverwalk.
Already have a call to the riverwalk dinning people.

Right now looking at the 1st weekend of December unless there's an objection. Just seems to work better for a lot of people.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Right now looking at the 1st weekend of December unless there's an objection. Just seems to work better for a lot of people.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO

Awesome! Seeing it for years, I've always wanted to do it.

For the first time ever, depending on the date, I'll either run a 10k, marathon, or half marathon.
If it does get scheduled on the 1st weekend of December and anybody is interested in doing a run as well as the DO:
http://www.runrocknroll.com/san-antonio
Old May 10, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

For the first time ever, depending on the date, I'll either run a 10k, marathon, or half marathon.
If it does get scheduled on the 1st weekend of December and anybody is interested in doing a run as well as the DO:
Oh yeah, completely forgot that's the same weekend. I'm signed up for the marathon. I guess that would put a damper on my Saturday eating and drinking although I'd be ready to eat and drink everything in sight Sunday afternoon.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

My friends and I had to volunteer to work that race one year in college. Never again. Way too effing early. Of course we had a party the night before to celebrate our impending volunteer shift...
Old May 11, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
How about those Spurs??!!!

That's another option for Dec depending on schedule - Spurs or Rampage (minor league hockey) game.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Talking with hotels and seeing about dinner options it looks like Dec 1-3 will be the best dates. Knowing at least one or more will be running Sunday morning will try and plan activities on Saturday night that are conductive to next morning.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mattp1987
That's another option for Dec depending on schedule - Spurs or Rampage (minor league hockey) game.
one vote for Rampage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.