Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

2014 Alaska Do From Russian Alaska with Love (Sitka/Juneau/Glacier Bay NP) July 23-28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierExec
Attendees

Confirmed for any portion:
jackal +1 (SIT, JNU, GST)
beckoa (SIT, JNU, GST)
CDKing (ANC, SIT, JNU, GST)
GrjApp
lili (SIT, JNU)
FortFun
LIgrin
violist
alphaeagle
HPN-HRL (JNU Sunday 27 July only)
WhIteSidE (JNU)
Wolf539
ANC RED-EYE (JNU, GST)

Likely:
BOB W*JNU

Interested:
CMK10
PV_Premier
alphaeagle
usa18dca

Next year:
SeeYa
monitor +1
Xyzzy +1
FriendlySkies
pfbloom
pfbloom +1 (lynnevt)

Transportation & Lodging

Arrival into SIT
7/18/14 AMHS M/V Columbia BLI-KTN: jackal +1
7/20/14 AMHS M/V Taku KTN-PSG: jackal +1
7/22/14 AMHS FVF Fairweather PSG-JNU: jackal +1

7/23/14 AMHS FVF Fairweather JNU-SIT: jackal +1
7/23/14 10:49am AS62 ANC-JNU-SIT: CDKing
7/23/14 12:59pm AS63 SEA-SIT: wolf539
7/23/14 6:02pm AS67 SEA-KTN-SIT: violist, GrjApp, lili
7/23/14 10:59pm AS70 ANC-JNU-SIT: beckoa
7/24/14 AS63 SEA-SIT: FortFun

SIT Lodging
  • Super 8: jackal +1, lili, CDKing, GrjApp, FortFun, violist, wolf539

SIT Car Share (driver bolded)

7-seat minivan, to Alaska Raptor Center, Fortress of the Bear, and Baranof Island Brewing Company on 7/24, seats $20 apiece:
  1. jackal
  2. jackal+1
  3. CDKing
  4. lili
  5. vioist
  6. wolf539
  7. FortFun [arriving SIT 1:10 pm 7/24]
  8. Waitlist:
7-seat minivan, to Alaska Raptor Center, Fortress of the Bear, and Baranof Island Brewing Company on 7/24, seats $20 apiece:
  1. beckoa
  2. GrjApp
  3. [available]
  4. [available]
  5. [available]
  6. [available]
  7. [available]
  8. Waitlist:

Departure to JNU
  • 7/25/14 AMHS FVF Fairweather SIT-JNU: jackal+1, beckoa, FortFun, CDKing, violist, wolf539, lili, GrjApp

JNU Lodging
  • Private accommodations: jackal +1, beckoa, alphaeagle, CDKing, ANC RED-EYE
  • Best Western Country Lane Inn: LIGrin
  • Super 8: violist, lili, wolf539, GrjApp

JNU BBQ 7/26/14
  • Social starts at 5PM at UAPremierExec's house off BACK LOOP ROAD. Cookin & grilling shortly before the Fire Department arrives (630pm-erish). Hawaiian style-chicken, KC BBQ beef tips, burgers, and steak. Corn on cob, salad, potato salad, mac salad. Lotsa beverages, including Alaskan beer & 2 growlers. Cash-share for heavy liquor: Havana Club Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, french rum. Abby, a bartender from The Hangar will be prepping Key Lime Pie drinks if you wish.. tips appreciated to her for spending her Saturday evenin with us.
  • jackal +1, beckoa, alphaeagle, ANC RED-EYE, CDKing, GrjApp, lili, wolf539, violist, FortFun, LIGrin, usa18dca, UAPremierExec
  • See Post 7 for more info.

JNU Car Share (driver bolded)

7-seat minivan, to 7/26 BBQ and 7/27 Shrine of St. Therese and Mendenhall Glacier, seats $20 apiece:
  1. jackal
  2. CDKing
  3. FortFun
  4. HPN-HRL
  5. beckoa(?)
  6. open
  7. wolf539
  8. Waitlist:

4-seat private car, to 7/26 BBQ and 7/27 Shrine of St. Therese and Mendenhall Glacier, seats available for $20 donation apiece to charity of jackal+1's choosing:
  1. jackal+1
  2. ANC RED-EYE
  3. [available]
  4. [available]
  5. Waitlist:

Not assigned to a 7/26-27 car share: alphaeagle, ANC RED-EYE, GrjApp, lili, violist, LIGrin -- for some of you, your 7/26 car share will work for the BBQ, but make sure you're signed up for a car share to get to the glacier on 7/27

4-seat car, 7/26, seats $x apiece/dependent on AutoSlash
  1. lili
  2. GrjApp
  3. violist
  4. [awaiting release by driver]
  5. Waitlist:

wolf539, since you're staying at the Super 8 with the 3 others in lili's car, you might want to talk to lili about going in on their car share and riding in with them from the Super 8 to downtown Juneau on 7/26, as the Super 8 is out near the airport.

Departure to GST
  • 7/27/14 K520 JNU-HNH-GST: beckoa, jackal+1, CDKing, FortFun,
  • 7/27/14 K5118/K520 JNU-HNH-GST: alphaeagle, ANC RED-EYE
  • 7/27/14 K588 JNU-GST: GrjApp
  • 7/27/14: K5288 JNU-GST: LIGrin, wolf539

GST Lodging
  • Glacier Bay Lodge: jackal +1, GrjApp, FortFun, LIGrin, wolf539, beckoa, CDKing, ANC RED-EYE
  • Glacier Bay National Park primitive campground: [Waitlisted]

Glacier Bay day cruise 7/28/14
  • jackal +1, LIGrin, GrjApp, FortFun, wolf539, CDKing, beckoa, ANC RED-EYE

Choose Your Own Adventure Featuring Fishing 7/29/14
  • jackal +1, beckoa, alphaeagle, ANC RED-EYE, FortFun

Departure Home
  • 7/27/14 AS61/50 JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC-SCC-BRW: violist
  • 7/27/14 AS61 JNU-ANC: lili
  • 7/28/14 AS77/AS66 GST-JNU-SEA: GrjApp
  • 7/28/14 K521 GST-JNU: LIGrin, wolf539
  • 7/28/14 K5289 GST-JNU CDKing
  • 7/29/14 K513 GST-JNU: jackal +1
  • 7/29/14 AS77 GST-JNU-ANC: beckoa, alphaeagle, ANC RED-EYE, *AS66 JNU-SEA: FortFun
  • 7/30/14 AMHS M/V Malaspina JNU-Haines: jackal +1
Print Wikipost

2014 Alaska Do From Russian Alaska with Love (Sitka/Juneau/Glacier Bay NP) July 23-28

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Only 2 hour delay. In the shuttle home now. Had to pay $80 extra for a private van since the shuttle company only allows for delayed flights up to 1am. Too bad none of the Towncar drivers were available (which would have been $5 more than the private van)

Boardroom agent said something about equipment not being where it's supposed to be for the last few days.

BTW I hate the new Alaska first seats. At least there was legroom in the old seats. Should have taken the coach saver award with overnight in pdx
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FortFun
Those of us on AS77 this evening enjoyed a leisurely day of hiking (or fishing), capped off by a couple of beers on the deck and a school bus ride to GST.

Flight proceeded without incident, unless you count the empty F cabin. Presume that the continuation to ANC is en route.

Thanks again for a great time. Already looking forward to next year.
The empty F cabin on GST-JNU was odd to see. But JNU-ANC made up for this- almost was stuck with a larger person in the middle- lets just say it was a squeeze... but he checked with a FA and relocated to an aisle further back. Great service- one FA ended up with 3! Expression of Thanks certificates. Only difference is we had more room in the exit row- although F got some food.

Was sad to leave GST on such a nice day with the sun popping thru. JNU on the other hand had a damp cold enveloping it.

Have a couple ideas for 2015, 2016... Stay tuned.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
Only 2 hour delay. In the shuttle home now. Had to pay $80 extra for a private van since the shuttle company only allows for delayed flights up to 1am. Too bad none of the Towncar drivers were available (which would have been $5 more than the private van)
Another 2 hour delay?

Glad you are on the home stretch ^
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even awake enough to work today.

Luckily i received the delay notice while i was at the Museum Of Flight so i could extend my stay.

I had lost 2 hours at the museum because i got half way there and had to turn back in a panic when i realized I left my laptop under the seat. Luckily they were able to track it down. The second time in the last 2 years that i left it onboard. Time to get a color other than black.

I probably wouldn't have forgot it had there been room for my carry-on under the seat in front of me. The pitch on the new plane is terrible and now throw in the box for the power uggg. I was about to switch with someone in coach. No problem in row 6 on my BRW flight on the 737-800 w/ power
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
There were a number of "firsts" for me at this DO...

1. I saw an aircraft depart the gate, then return and shut down to pick up a late arriving passenger. Any guesses who the passenger was (your guess doesn't count if you were on the plane, or in the terminal)? I have photographic evidence to prove this event occurred!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:40 am

2. Had an evening flight from GST-JUN cancel due to weather, jeopardizing a morning flight from JUN. Joined a group of five on a chartered boat for a 3.5 hour "tour" and made it to JUN a little after midnight.

I can now say I know at least two other FT'ers who re-booked themselves on a boat to make a connecting flight!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:44 am

3. Was greeted on arrival by a black bear! Then waited patiently in the parking lot with the bear and five others for a taxi to arrive...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the web form on Wings website on the contact us page to explain what happened with the cancelled flight and the erroneous info about not being refundable., I received reply 19 hours later stating my request refund has been processed. Anyone else who was cancelled for the weather and did not fly should do the same.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by wolf539
2. Had an evening flight from GST-JUN cancel due to weather, jeopardizing a morning flight from JUN. Joined a group of five on a chartered boat for a 3.5 hour "tour" and made it to JUN a little after midnight.

I can now say I know at least two other FT'ers who re-booked themselves on a boat to make a connecting flight!
Our boat ride was 2 hours on the nose, the skipper went at quite a good clip. Smooth most of the way, a bit choppy towards the end, but I suspect he went fast because the refueling dock was apparently closing at 10pm.

A first for me was having an incoming plane that was to be our ride back to JNU, approach, fly over and turn around and leave about 40 people stranded! Flightaware was a bit confused about that, but shows an impressive flight path.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrjApp
Our boat ride was 2 hours on the nose, the skipper went at quite a good clip. Smooth most of the way, a bit choppy towards the end, but I suspect he went fast because the refueling dock was apparently closing at 10pm.

A first for me was having an incoming plane that was to be our ride back to JNU, approach, fly over and turn around and leave about 40 people stranded! Flightaware was a bit confused about that, but shows an impressive flight path.
I bet your boat was much nicer than ours
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: US, HH
Haha, no F cabin for you! It was a fishing boat, quite smaller than the one we had for our ADQ fishing trip, seated six. Definitely not luxury but perfectly functional and got us where we needed to be.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glacier Calving video as requested

Over 4000 photos to go through
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Greetings from semi-sunny, beautiful Haines!

I think all of you are home now except for me. That's a good thing. I have another month of travel left!

Heading across the border in a couple of hours. Cross your fingers the CBSA (and the US CBP tomorrow) find me less interesting than they have during previous border crossings...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Not quite home yet. Just boarded SEA-DEN. Spent a few hours in SEA with my brother and his family.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

For those with cancelled flights on Monday due to WX, did you get your refunds if you found alternative transportation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.