Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon Do IV - April 4-6, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ashasan2005
oh - and if anyone wants to ride shotgun or in the back and is ok with my itinerary - they are welcome to tag along in my rental. Friday my flight arrives around noon. by the time i pick up my ride and grab lunch on my way to the hotel (thinking either Red Star BBQ or Heirloom), I probably wont get to the hotel til 2:00PM.
Try to make it to Barrel House Distilling Friday afternoon.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
If anybody is interested, I am contemplating a minor league baseball game Friday night (one of my obsessions), weather permitting.

I am flying into SDF in the morning and have a rental car booked. If the weather permits, I am planning to do a 10K walk in Frankfort on the way to Lexington, so won't be there until late afternoon.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:48 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mhnadel
If anybody is interested, I am contemplating a minor league baseball game Friday night (one of my obsessions), weather permitting.
details/location?

I need to drive back to Chicago on Saturday, so my room at the Four Points is available for Saturday night if anybody needs a room. Please PM me if interested.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:06 pm
GG

Thanks for the PM, toomanybooks. LexPassenger and I have been moving house (from Escondido to Hillcrest, omg moving IS hell) and living in the new place while it's still being remodeled, and I'm afraid we've scarcely been on FT at all.

There's a chance we'll be able to make it (it would be useful to see how the house in Lexington is faring, ahhem). LexPax is researching flights.

After a quick scan of pages of posts here, I've just got a couple of comments: we had lunch at Ramsey's when we were in Lex for about 6 hours. Srsly disappointing, nowhere near as good as it used to be. Pazzo's on Limestone near the Euclid corner had a very good beer selection, much expanded over when I lived there. Also has good pizza. I'd rec them over Joe B's, unless you just want to see Joe's unique place, or want to go there for the nostalgia. Which I admit we might succumb to, if we can make the DO.

Just a thought: how is Hall's on the river these days? It used to have pretty good steaks, passably good fish, a pretty drive to it, scenic view from the porch, etc. And of course their famous beer cheese.

I'll post later to let you know if we find tickets.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:45 pm

Should have posted here but it escaped my mind. Just realized I had two reservations and cancelled one a half hour ago, so there should be a room available Fri-Sun.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
details/location?
Lexington Legends, who are apparently an affiliate of the Astros.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Weather forecast for LEX next weekend:

Fri: Hi 67 Lo 45, 40% rain, potential for severe thunderstorms
Sat: Hi 56 Lo 37, 0% rain
Sun: Hi 60 Lo 39, 0% rain
Good information. Just rechecked and the forecast still looks about the same. This stuff matters as rain causes horse races to get moved off of the turf and onto the main track. I hate it when that happens!

The good news: KEENELAND ENTRIES ARE OUT for Friday! Those that want to get a head start on their Friday handicapping can buy the past performances now (through Daily Racing Form, Equibase, etc.)

Flights always pass quickly when I can settle into my first class office for a few hours armed with Daily Racing Form printouts and liberal pours of Woodford Reserve. I miss flying DL. AA, why must you insult us with Jim Beam?

Anyway, be sure to handicap turf races both ways on Friday - they might stay on the grass (yielding? soft?) or might get rained over to the "all-weather" main track.

I'll be heading to the track Friday afternoon as soon as we finish up at Barrel House Distillery.

I'm probably going to skip the very breakfast that I was so heavily promoting for Saturday as it looks like my filly will be working Saturday morning at a training center on the other side of town. It might bore those without a vested interest in the horse but if anyone wanted to join me I'd be happy to take a carload of FTers with me.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
[QUOTE=mile ho;22625767]Just had some Stone Enjoy By... that was very nice.

[QUOTE=KMA26;22627843]Agreed - the Enjoy By... is really good stuff.

Just so I feel involved from LAX (darn it, I am bummed that I will miss you guys) Just purchased a Bomber of Enjoy by 4.20.14 when I was at an account today. Thought that I should have purchased more? $8.75 tax included.. I will pop it open over the weekend and celebrate all the new friends that I made last year. Elmhurst Nick et al.. (try to keep the Waffle House early a.m. thing going)

Have fun!!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Flying Machine;22631584][QUOTE=mile ho;22625767]Just had some Stone Enjoy By... that was very nice.

Originally Posted by KMA26
Agreed - the Enjoy By... is really good stuff.
Originally Posted by KMA26

Just so I feel involved from LAX (darn it, I am bummed that I will miss you guys) Just purchased a Bomber of Enjoy by 4.20.14 when I was at an account today. Thought that I should have purchased more? $8.75 tax included.. I will pop it open over the weekend and celebrate all the new friends that I made last year. Elmhurst Nick et al.. (try to keep the Waffle House early a.m. thing going)

Have fun!!
Hope you and dobolina can make it next time.

"Enjoy By" is normally in that price range. Good stuff. As the name indicates, it's made with fresh/wet hops and intended to be consumed right away, not to be purchased in huge quantities and laid down.

Today I bought 4 cases of Zombie Dust bottled this week, right at the brewery. One of the very best experiences you can have is fresh ZD. Will try to bring some, if my Avios redemption on an AA Barbie jet will allow it. Last time I was told $25 to check a bag, as I have no status.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mile ho
We'll make the Woodford tour and lunch. My guess is we'll be at the mare farm no more than an hour. So we should make it with time to spare.
I may be bringing along my nephew who goes to UK for the morning festivities. Where is the first horse-related meeting point after the 4P and and at what time do I need to be there to meet everybody?? I plan on going to Woodford, so we'll probably leave the mare farm 15 minutes early so I can drive him back to campus.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Have fun!!
Sorry to hear you two can't make it. If you want, I can bring you a waffle when I arrive in LA for work on Tuesday afternoon...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Was hoping to find a away to avoid this but regretfully, family obligations are forcing me to cancel joining everyone this weekend.

Thanks to all the organizers for all your efforts! I'm sorry for the late notice and even more sorry to have to miss out.

Enjoy the horses, bourbon, beer, biscuits and donuts for me. I hope to catch everyone at LEX 5, if not before!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bk3day
Was hoping to find a away to avoid this but regretfully, family obligations are forcing me to cancel joining everyone this weekend.

Thanks to all the organizers for all your efforts! I'm sorry for the late notice and even more sorry to have to miss out.

Enjoy the horses, bourbon, beer, biscuits and donuts for me. I hope to catch everyone at LEX 5, if not before!
Sorry to hear, hope everything works out. Maybe we will repeat LEX in October.

See you in NYC sometime.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I am still trying to find a decently priced flight. No award trips that I can see. I am hoping to make it again this year but my prospects are dimming
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by thegrailer
I am still trying to find a decently priced flight. No award trips that I can see. I am hoping to make it again this year but my prospects are dimming
Non stop to louisville on SW from bwi? We booked on points a few weeks ago don't know the prices today. Priceline car was under $20/day I think, name your own price.

We could give you a ride, 10:30 arrival Saturday, depart 7 pm Sunday, don't know what we will do pm on sunday. If that interests you let me know and I'll pull the exact flight info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.