Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
INDIVIDUAL EVENT REGISTRATION

DO DINNER TICKETS

Schedule

AttendeesInbound FlightsAccommodationOutbound Flights

Getting there and getting around
Narita Express (N'EX) | N'EX Tokyo Direct Ticket | N'EX timetable from NRT | N'EX timetable to NRT |Keisei Skyliner | Keisei Skyliner Timetable | Airport Limousine Bus | Access to/from HND | Japan Rail Pass | JR Kanto Area Pass | Using Suica/Pasmo card

Route and station maps
Tokyo Metropolitan Area rail network map | JR East major route map | Tokyo Subway route map | JR Yamanote Line loop | Narita Airport (T1) station map | Narita Airport (T2) station map | Arriving in Shinjuku by Narita Express

Late Registration - Send Private Message to armagebedar, penegal and NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

2nd Japan Do | Tokyo | April 18-20, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Shinjuku walk - Friday

We will meet in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency at 10am.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
See you then!

Bruce
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I'm having a couple Tigers in the SIN Silver Kris T2 lounge waiting for my NH flight. It'll be my first 787 experience.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amolkold
How fortunate for me that right behind me at the ATM at NRT was rwoman. The ~1.5 hours to Shinjuku wasn't bad ...

I'm a bit far from the Hyatt, about a 20-minute walk, so I don't think there will be many people there if I head over. Will probably do the Shinjuku walk tomorrow.
There's still about 15 of us here.....
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:18 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by tkey75
I'm having a couple Tigers in the SIN Silver Kris T2 lounge waiting for my NH flight. It'll be my first 787 experience.
In case of any uncertainty please don't get ant train ticket. I'm post a revised plan shortly.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
have fun guys!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: QF WP
Given that we are quite tight in terms of timing, I would be happy for NewbieRunner to make the executive decision for Sunday. I'm sure differences of a few mins and/or a few dollars would be rather immaterial in the end of the day. If anyone is not happy having to pay a couple more dollars, then we'll just have to reimburse them in some form of "liquid asset" at the end of the day.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Life is certainly simpler -- and it could be cheaper, too, with group rates -- if NewbieRunner just makes the plans for everybody, buys whatever tickets are needed and asks for appropriate reimbursement. I would have no problem at all trusting her to make better decisions than I would -- and her Japanese is far superior, of course! Why should I struggle with this? No, thanks!

Bruce
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:20 pm

Day trip to Mt Fuji & Hakone - definitive plan for Sunday hopefully

"Holiday Kaisoku Fujisan 1" turns out to be more popular than expected. In order to avoid having to go to the station very early to secure seats or to risk having to stand for 2+ hours here is a revised (and definitive) plan. I have bought tickets/reserved seats for all 25 people listed in post #370.

Depart Shinjuku 08:30 "Limited Express Azusa 7" (leaves from platform 9)
Arrive Otsuki 09:38
Depart Otsuki 09:59
Arrive Kawaguchiko 11:00
(The rest of the schedule remains as before)
Leave Kawaguchiko 12:10
Arrive Gotemba at 13:20
Leave Gotemba 13:40
Arrive Tōgendai 14:13

Once we arrive at Tōgendai on the shore of Lake Ashinoko, the rest of the trip could be quite flexible as we will be on the popular tourist trail. The ropeway to Sōunzan takes just 24 minutes but we will stop at Owakudani to look at volcanic activities on the way. From Sōunzan to Gōra takes 10 minutes by Hakone Cablecar (runs every 15 minutes) and from Gōra to Hakone Yumoto takes 40 minutes by Hakone Mountain Railway which also runs every 15 minutes or so. From Hakone Yumoto back to Shinjuku will take 1hr30min to 2hr+ and there are frequent trains.

I have bought tickets for the following and will collect the total of 3,500 yen from each person for:
Shinjuku-Otsuki Limited Express charge and reserved seat: 1,450 yen
Gotemba-Tōgendai Odakyu bus with reserved seat: 1,020 yen
Hakone Ropeway group fare Tōgendai-Sōunzan: 1,030 yen

Each person will have to pay the following on the day:
Shinjuku-Otsuki JR train: 1,317 yen
Otsuki-Kawaguchiko Fujikyu train: 1,140 yen **
Kawaguchiko-Gotemba Fujikyu bus: 1,510 yen
Sōunzan-Hakone Yumoto cable car & mountain railway: 820 yen
Hakone Yumoto-Shinjuku: varies between 1,184 yen to 4,050 yen

You should be able to use your Suica on all the above except the Fujikyu train between Otsuki and Kawaguchiko. Tickets for this section may only be bought in Otsuki. It looks like you can use a Suica on Fujikyu bus between Kawaguchiko and Gotemba but their website isn't clear. Be prepared in case you have to pay cash.

Since the recent consumption tax increase some transport companies started charging different fares for payments using IC cards such as Suica and cash. Cash prices are rounded up to the nearest 10 yen while you may be charged a few yen less by using a Suica!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 19, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice plan! I have your 3630 yen all ready.

Bruce
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
Was flying MEL-xAKL-BNE-xLAX- ... but my MEL-AKL was 7 hours or so late and I would have missed my AKL-BNE.

Now booked MEL-xLAX an received an Upgrade to First (from Business) on QF (A380).

Now in the MEL Qantas First lounge awaiting my flight (after a breakfast of Sweet Corn Fritters):
Sweet. Glad you got to benefit from the weather chaos yesterday. My flight yesterday was also delayed but at least it was not cancelled.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:50 pm

Big thank you to NewbieRunner for putting together such an itinerary! I'll be opting for Disney instead of the Shinjuku walk but hope to see everyone at the DO dinner.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:57 pm

What are you guys doing at 3am?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 17, 2014 at 1:37 pm Reason: can't type at 3am or is it 4am?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sleeping, unfortunately. What's your excuse?

Bruce
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:10 pm

Trying to decide which Shinjuku station photos to post in the thread.

And waiting for the swimming pool to open... maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.