Reload this Page >

Discussion thread for the 2012 FlyerTalk Awards winners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion thread for the 2012 FlyerTalk Awards winners

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: 800K + miles UAL MileagePlus Premier (formally Premier Exec and soon to become former member of MP)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
probably because those votes were not 1st place votes.
Not surprising to see MileagePlus slip given the changes in the program since merger. Now lower-middle tier frequent flyers and million milers have had perks reduced I suspect it could drop even lower in the next round. United only seems to care about the top tier frequent flyers now.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Exciting discussion … unsubscribed
Old May 1, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by T8191
Exciting discussion … unsubscribed
About as useful as telling someone you're now on their ignore list.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA, United, Amex
MFU? UUA?

Hi, all. For the benefit of those who aren't au fait with the long-haul lexicon, could you please add the terms MFU and UUA to the FlyerTalk Glossary. The FlyerTalk site and community are wonderful resources, so when you commend BA's "MFU/UUA/Avios upgrades," I want to know more! Might I suggest you add some explanation to the press release as well. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: Many
I'm assuming that as this is the first time, the awards may develop more categories in the future. To me the value of a program does not rest in its upgrades, elite status perks, and similar benefits that don't pertain to me. It lies in my ability to accumulate and use miles and points to take great trips. The award selections seem to be based very heavily on the former, which is fair enough if that is type of traveler that most of the voters are. However, I would also like to see recognition for those programs that have great flight award availability for low mileage cost, great online booking sites, great range of beds at reasonable redemption rates, generous stopover rules - that sort of thing. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to recognize those things that many voters seem to take seriously, but I'd also like to see a broader range of values taken into account.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:04 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by srdshelly
I'm assuming that as this is the first time, the awards may develop more categories in the future. To me the value of a program does not rest in its upgrades, elite status perks, and similar benefits that don't pertain to me. It lies in my ability to accumulate and use miles and points to take great trips. The award selections seem to be based very heavily on the former, which is fair enough if that is type of traveler that most of the voters are. However, I would also like to see recognition for those programs that have great flight award availability for low mileage cost, great online booking sites, great range of beds at reasonable redemption rates, generous stopover rules - that sort of thing. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to recognize those things that many voters seem to take seriously, but I'd also like to see a broader range of values taken into account.
That's more than fair; it's part of the reason we have Best Program as well as Outstanding Benefit; what you're talking about definitely falls into the area of Best Program, where everything is to be considered -- certainly ease of use, value, etc.

That said, the FlyerTalk Awards will certainly evolve over time. Suggestions about how to improve them while strengthening their relevance, specifically within the FT community, are always welcome!
Old May 2, 2012, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
^^
Old May 2, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by travelposs
Hi, all. For the benefit of those who aren't au fait with the long-haul lexicon, could you please add the terms MFU and UUA to the FlyerTalk Glossary. The FlyerTalk site and community are wonderful resources, so when you commend BA's "MFU/UUA/Avios upgrades," I want to know more! Might I suggest you add some explanation to the press release as well. Thanks!
Miles for upgrade
Upgrade using avios
Avios upgrade

To me they all mean the same thing, the ability to use Avios (what were called miles) to upgrade the class of travel, I don't believe they are available in all fare classes.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Media coverage of the awards on Dallas Morning News:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...vantage-p.html
Old May 3, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

AAdvantage responds to their big wins

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...150000695.html
Old May 5, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
However, I would also like to see recognition for those programs that have great flight award availability for low mileage cost, great online booking sites...
Thus stacking the deck against DL's SkyMiles.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: United Platinum; Hilton D; Marriott G
Losers?

Man, no love for my favorite programs, UA and IHG. You want to know why I love UA? Because the other choice out of LNK is Delta. Delta is absolutely horrible. (From the discussions I've read many of you agree, so I wonder how they could win, place, show or whatever name you give fourth place--why is this out to four places?) I never fly AA. They don't fly where I need to go and UA does. I lament that pre-merger, UA had a decent website. It seems they took Continental's website and put UA stickers over the Continental logos and called it good. I also lament that while I have upgrade status, it only works when I'm flying to places like MCO or LAX and not the leg from OMA-ORD or LNK-ORD because those are flown with Embraer craft with tiny, tiny storage bins. Even with that inconvenience, I don't have to pay for upgrades or checked bags. What am I missing here?

For hotels, I stay at IHG first then fill out the year with HH properties. I never stay in Starwood properties because there aren't any on my regular trips except ATL. Given there is an IHG property next door to the Starwood I don't stay there. I get complimentary upgrades every time I stay at a Holiday Inn property, so I don't see how the HH properties get so much love for upgrades. What am I missing here? Also, in my experience Hyatt made a huge move up in places where I have no say where I stay (i.e. conventions).

I must be clueless about something to be so far wide of the mark so anything you can do to give me an epiphany would be appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.