Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion thread for the 2012 FlyerTalk Awards winners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by IBobi
We were waiting on the production of the first-ever batch of FlyerTalk Awards trophies, which we'll post photos of shortly! They're super cool
Can't wait...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Why shouldn't FT leverage their awards at the timing of their choosing?

The Freddies are not part of this community anymore, so who really cares when the Freddies are given out?
I have no problem w/ them leveraging the awards at the time of their choosing, but IB itself was the one who said the winners of the awards were being announced in March & when asked about it in mid-April (a month later), instead of being open & upfront - hey, we'd like to have the announcement & the trophies done on the same day, kept responding w/ next week & next week with , and then did announce the day of the Freddies.

So presumably they care about the Freddies & leveraging. I don't have a problem w/ them announcing on the same day as the Freddies, btw. From a marketing standpoint, stealing a bit of thunder makes sense. I just don't like the disconnect on what we were told & what actually happened. BTW - some FTers did attend the Freddies.

FWIW - just as there's room enough in the world for more than one travel BB, there's room enough in the world for more than one travel awards. Neither the Freddies nor the Flyertalk Awards are the only industry awards out there.

I'd be more interested in how they came up w/ some of the items that the various programs were being voted on. As one person in the Marriott forum said, Marriott does have a # of strong points, but the one that was up for voting was actually its weakest & had the Marriott FTers scratching their heads. Must have been FT newbies who suggested that one. LOL

And my bet is that next year UA will be farther down the list, given the mess post-merger.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't have a problem w/ them announcing on the same day as the Freddies, btw. From a marketing standpoint, stealing a bit of thunder makes sense. I just don't like the disconnect on what we were told & what actually happened. BTW - some FTers did attend the Freddies.

FWIW - just as there's room enough in the world for more than one travel BB, there's room enough in the world for more than one travel awards. Neither the Freddies nor the Flyertalk Awards are the only industry awards out there.

Cheers.
This is the first time out for the FlyerTalk Awards so we should give them some leeway. However, the point of so many awards is valid and I think the FlyerTalk Awards should try to differentiate themselves to stand out. Perhaps some quirky or fun ones - I've long argued for a hall of shame category. That would get some pick-ups in the press.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:02 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
On a dif note - I never noticed a lot of upgrades w/ Hiltons overseas, so a bit surprised that they took that category.

Cheers.
If by "overseas" you mean "outside the US", I (HH Gold) have been upgraded in nine times out of ten when I've stayed in a Hilton property outside the US at least since the beginning of 2011.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AC_Good_Will
Oh well Delta...
Yeah, I'm very disappointed. Maybe they will try again for next year or so.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Pleased to see that BA did well. Makes up for the failure in the Freddies!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Hoping for better turnout for Asia category next year.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
This is the first time out for the FlyerTalk Awards so we should give them some leeway. However, the point of so many awards is valid and I think the FlyerTalk Awards should try to differentiate themselves to stand out. Perhaps some quirky or fun ones - I've long argued for a hall of shame category. That would get some pick-ups in the press.
Yes. Like the Deer in the Headlights Award that a certain HPN based hotel company was given by me when they failed to show up for their traditional wins.

IBobi, Speaking on behalf of interested readers of this thread, Flyertalkers enjoy attending events.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dhammer53
IBobi, Speaking on behalf of interested readers of this thread, Flyertalkers enjoy attending events.
As some members the BA Board are on their 3rd in 3 days … what can I say?

Sat: A trip to JER
Sun: A gathering at LHR Sofitel
Mon: A visit to the 787 at BA's LHR Maintenance Base

I only managed one of those … I'm old, and have to pace myself
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:44 am
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by dhammer53
We will keep that in mind

I'd have loved to do an actual ceremony this year, but there just wasn't time to plan it on this first go-round.

Actually we've got an awesome idea for next year, so hopefully we can work that in.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:10 pm

Actually we've got an awesome idea for next year, so hopefully we can work that in.
Cool!

UA still probably won't win

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:17 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Cool!

UA still probably won't win

Cheers.
The support is definitely there for UA... we'll have to wait and see what a full year of the merger does for their rep/quality score with FTers. Never know where they'll be in January!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:18 pm

Many of my choices made it so I am pleased ....although a hyatt gp diamond for years ?...my several stays at Hiltons really impressed ....ESP more so as I am just an ordinary status level at Hilton .

Disappointed with hyatt ESP last year ....didn't use any of my suite certs ...not one ...cos of timing and that I preferred some rooms better than suites in some hotels !!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:58 pm
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Oneworld did well!
Old May 1, 2012, 9:17 am

The support is definitely there for UA... we'll have to wait and see what a full year of the merger does for their rep/quality score with FTers. Never know where they'll be in January!
They're lucky they've got the year because right now their score would be in the toilet given the total mess everything is post-merger! Of course the way Marriott's going, they're headed in the same direction.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.