Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

BOS mini DO ~ Tues, April 24 and more ~ Surrounding the topic of the UA MoM promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS mini DO ~ Tues, April 24 and more ~ Surrounding the topic of the UA MoM promo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
thanks everyone!!

Please do consider signing the petition from link provided if you cannot attend, and pass it on to ANYONE who has this situation in any miles or non miles issue

thanks again!...

http://www.change.org/petitions/cart...-missing-miles
GOOD LUCK!!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Gd luck with this! We're rooting for you.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:53 am

Looks like the company has had to settle similar complaints with the Better Business Bureaus.

http://www.bbb.org/boston/business-r...ton-ma-123658#
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Can't make it. I have too many travel commitments.
I'm in LAS now and will be in FRA on Friday.
(My hotel in LAS is filled with people gambling!)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
If anyone following any of this is interested in attending the court case and meeting up for eats after, I estimate a lunch in and around town. One of the restaurants listed above is Chang An Restaurant - http://www.changan-rest.com/ and I think that's where I might go... so far.
I know nothing about the MoM promo and have only had minor issues with Cartera; but my office is in Concord, I drive by the courthouse everyday and I like the lunch buffet at Chang An. If this develops into a proper mini-DO I'm in; if it remains a micro-DO focused on an individual court case I think I'll have to pass. While I'm sympathetic and think Cartera needs to get their act together, I worry that litigation may encourage companies to solve the problem in the cheapest and most expedient way, by not offering overly generous promos in the future.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:22 pm

How will you enforce a default judgement if Cartera doesn't even show up? The jurisdictional reach of most small claims courts is quite limited.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JetAway
How will you enforce a default judgement if Cartera doesn't even show up? The jurisdictional reach of most small claims courts is quite limited.
good point. I would win by default but then to actually get paid would be another story. I guess if it were a person they would issue a bench warrant. For a company i have no idea.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I know nothing about the MoM promo and have only had minor issues with Cartera; but my office is in Concord, I drive by the courthouse everyday and I like the lunch buffet at Chang An. If this develops into a proper mini-DO I'm in; if it remains a micro-DO focused on an individual court case I think I'll have to pass. While I'm sympathetic and think Cartera needs to get their act together, I worry that litigation may encourage companies to solve the problem in the cheapest and most expedient way, by not offering overly generous promos in the future.
I hope we meet up then--and that we get people to come too

I agree about the promo thing you said, but to be perfectly honest, I would rather this:

cartera mall offers 10 miles per $1 to shop at retailer x and you have to fight tooth and nail to get the miles if you ever even do about 3 months later.

Cartera mall offers 6 miles per $1 to shop at retailer X but you actually get your miles quickly!
in fact you could even elect to SAY you want them up front by electing to get less miles over all (this is actually part of an idea I invented and shared with the company in great detail and never heard a lick back about whatsoever)

I would go with the 6 mile option every day. Based on how crappy things are now, I think many would.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thank you from all people here and in other threads who wish me luck on this thing.

Again my goal is two fold. To work to recover my miles in either mileage or money or both. and to expose the company for its faults and hope that it is forced to address them.

To be perfectly frank... I am actually MORE inclined to see to it that they begin to fix each and every mileage complaint no matter how big or small that has ever been discussed/posted on FT than to just give me my money or miles and be free of any further responsibility. I want Cartera to fix their service and make it so it works, but if it cannot do that, they first need to fix everyone's problems they caused for people. I have heard a lot of complains about missing miles over the years and if you think it through, they all add up. Remember people, they get commission on OUR transactionary efforts.

I would love it if the judge court ordered them to have someone like me work there (paid of course, by them) to sit down in their HQ and sort through every complaint and answer every email and call to service the mileage requests and issues of every person on this forum and beyond. That would almost be better than me just getting my miles. Of course I do want them, but it really would.

MM
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
They need someone just like you Marathon Man! If anyone could help them get their operation free of all the crap it would be you. ^
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Good luck MM, way to stand up for what you believe in! I hope you do well in court and make them pay for their unscrupulous practices.

I've sued in small claims court before for something other people may think was pointless, but it's about fairness, standing up for what's right, and showing these companies that they just can't run things their ways, there are laws and regulations in this country.

I salute you MM for having the balls to stand up for what's right.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP, I am with you 100%. Too bad I am from another coast.

Let's say that I have a similar experience before with one of UA's partners, and I get the case settled before Small Claims.

Those jokers need to learn a good lesson.

Originally Posted by JetAway
Not exactly:

This Is How I "Foreclosed" On Wells Fargo
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

continued thanks to all posters here!!

This is very encouraging and I appreciate it.

Whether we have 2 people or 20 or whatever, I hope to at least send the message that things need to change and this company has to fix problems now.

They should also know, since it is 100% clear a Carterian is reading all of these threads/posts, that I will never give up.

So they can make it easy on themselves or not. No problems here.

MM
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Best of luck to you!

Please let us know how it goes. Perhaps if Cartera is held accountable, they will start honoring their agreements.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TennisPro
Best of luck to you!

Please let us know how it goes. Perhaps if Cartera is held accountable, they will start honoring their agreements.
Thanks, Let's hope!

And just as a reminder, this is what I sent to the court on the docket as to why I am suing them. Cartera and I then got our copy:

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

(781) 541-6800

Date range for my claim involves ongoing business transactions from 09/01/2011 to present.

Cartera claims to enable one to easily earn frequent flier miles when purchasing online at many usual chain retailers via shopping portals they run. One such portal, on which my claim focuses, is the United Airline's MileagePlus Shopping Mall. Cartera services the online shopping malls of several of the world’s major retailers, airlines and hotel chains as well and claims to be able to handle this well.

Taken from their own "How it Works" section on the UA MP mall,
• Step 1: Find Online Offers — Find and compare the prices and miles on just about anything you want to buy from more than 600 online retailers.
• Step 2: Shop — Shopping is simple and rewarding no matter where you live and how you want to earn miles:
• Step 3: Earn — You'll never have to guess if you've earned miles! Every time you shop with a participating retailer - whether online or in-store - we'll send you an email confirming your purchase and the miles earned. Miles typically post within 5 business days, but can take up to 45 days.

My claim against Cartera is that they have failed miserably at this statement. Particularly, the delays for which miles have posted to my united Airlines account have been well over 3 months in some cases, and some have yet to post as of the time of this filing. Their accounting and tracking is a mess, their Customer Service team is overwhelmed and inept, and I believe the company is working like a classic bait & switch rebate scammer. I have spent countless hours and effort both trying to deal with them and I have documented my experiences as well as those of many others I converse with regularly on an online travel forum open to the public known as FlyerTalk.com, where I post regularly and openly as "Marathon Man." I could show costs from mailings, emails, faxes, time spent, phone calls, research and the valuation of airline miles as compared with dollar value. For reasons I can further illustrate, the company needs to change their way of doing business and it owes me reimbursement equal to $7,000.

In my United MP shopping mall activity, where I have done nothing but follow the rules, I have had to fight to get whatever miles I do have, and the company has appeared to have just sat back and watched people suffer. Because my multitude of shopping activity was done to satisfy the requirements of a united Airlines promotion that ran from August until mid December, I shopped very heavily. Now I am blamed by them as the reason why things went wrong, and yet many others are claiming the same poor level of service and results. I am therefore convinced that Cartera's lack of service will impact the outcome of my airline promotion bonus results that I could later have to pull teeth for because of them. I stand to gain or lose hundreds of thousands of miles that I set out to obtain through shopping, and I did so believing in what Cartera was marketing and selling to me. But since I have nothing to hide and they seemingly do, I think they’ve lied to many people—self included.

Cartera has stated elsewhere that they value their miles at a certain ‘cpm’ or cents per mile amount but miles are hard to value on all sides. Thus, the entire system is easily corruptible but I want my miles and/or monetary value for what has been lost/spent to retrieve them. I have evidence to support this and suggestions on how Cartera should proceed as a business after fixing the damages done to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.