Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI BBQ DO VII --July 20-22, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Dinner at Jack Stack was excellent, as always! For those that missed dinner, we're still planning on meeting at Oklahoma Joe's at 11am tomorrow. From there, we'll decide on the rest of the day's schedule. From conversations tonight, it sounds like we'll take a BBQ detour and check out Stroud's fried chicken after OK Joe's.

Thanks again to Chris for getting us a private room. See you guys tomorrow!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

What a delicious start to the weekend. Looking forward to more bbq tomorrow - and fried chicken - and frozen custard.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

LC's at 4pm!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:52 pm

Burnt ends wowed at LCs again.

For those with AMEX cards registered to Foursquare, you could sync it with both the Oklahoma Joes and LCs offers: $5 off on a $10 purchase or more.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the burnt ends at LC's were so good that I teared up! Or maybe it was because of all that smoke Another great year of BBQ! For those of you who missed the Do due to high summer airfares, my apologies. We'll schedule next year's around the April/May timeframe. Until next time!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Condition One
Yeah, the burnt ends at LC's were so good that I teared up! Or maybe it was because of all that smoke Another great year of BBQ! For those of you who missed the Do due to high summer airfares, my apologies. We'll schedule next year's around the April/May timeframe. Until next time!
The burnt ends were good, even after overdosing earlier at OJ's and Stroud's. And we certainly know LC's isn't outsourcing their smoking The burnt ends at Jack Stack were quite nice and thank you JayHawk for arranging the private room.

It was good seeing old friends and meeting new. Some quite interesting conversations everywhere.

Great weekend - many thanks Condition One, JayHawk and others for arranging and organizing.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by lili
Great weekend - many thanks Condition One, JayHawk and others for arranging and organizing.
Ditto from my husband and me.

I always enjoy meeting FTers who are new to me. I'm had a lot of fun learning more about Bachovas, meeting susiean and her Sherpa husband , and was truly impressed that vegetarian HJsimpson drove from Omaha to talk miles and points.

My husband and I tried two barbecue places that Anthony Bourdain extolled recently, not on the schedule for this weekend.

Woodyard Bar-B-Que - good, not great - beans were terrific, cheesy corn was ok, ribs weren't nearly as tender as Oklahoma Joe's and elsewhere

BB's Lawnside BBQ - open on Sunday when many of the bbq joints are closed. We really enjoyed the blues music (recorded) and ambience. Blacked ends didn't compare to LCs. bbq sundae has awesome beans and coleslaw and ok pulled pork. Menu was really diverse with a number of Cajun offerings. I wouldn't go just for the bbq, but it could be a great place to go for a group when they have live music. They have live groups every day, just not right at noon on Sunday when we were there. There is a modest cover charge for live groups.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
As so much of the talk was about all the other amazing gourmet restaurants in Kansas City, perhaps at the next do it can be a combo barbeque and notable KC places do. Chris JayhawkCO seems to have connections...

Susie
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Not BBQ related but the answer to a discussion some of us were having at LC's regarding car rentals. (Info from National attendant at the car return.)

Why do you get a giant bundle of both keys and both fobs permanently bound together? Used to be one key set was kept in the rental office, one with the car. When cars were dropped of at different locations, office key had to be mailed to new location and car couldn't be rented until key arrived. Sort of explains drop-off charges (which National doesn't have). Now both sets are kept with the car at all times. Need both sets when cars are sold eventually. Reduces office chores also, but if you lose the keys, you lose $525 worth of keys.

What if you forget to put the keys in the drop box after hours and take them home? You get charged car rental for every day the keys are not back at the facility. Attendant pointed to a car parked nearby and said it had been sitting there for two weeks and the person who dropped it off was getting billed full rate each and every day.

Now back to the BBQ discussion.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Just wanted to pop my head in to say hello and thank you all,
especially organizers Condition One and JayhawkCO.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:05 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
This thread is making me hungry.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
While I was busy getting drunk on vendor supplied free booze in BOS this past weekend it looks like y'all were having a great time. Hope to be apart of the MCI do next year!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Speaking of next year, I spoke to some "regulars", and the first weekend of April (5-7) looks good for us. Plus, we can take advantage of First Friday. Any other DO conflicts around that time or anything? We wanted to hold it in the spring, as many people couldn't make it last year due to high summer fares.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Speaking of next year, I spoke to some "regulars", and the first weekend of April (5-7) looks good for us. Plus, we can take advantage of First Friday. Any other DO conflicts around that time or anything? We wanted to hold it in the spring, as many people couldn't make it last year due to high summer fares.
The Horse & Bourbon Do III is that weekend as well, although I don't know that it would affect many who would attend this one.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Anytime before April 24 works for me. We are going to stay in the US for a change for a vacation, go see the Grand canyon and national parks out west.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.