Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Dubai Do 2012 15 - 17 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What would you like to do at this years DUBAI DO!
Brunch at the Park Hyatt
21.11%
Brunch somewhere else
22.22%
Desert Safari
26.67%
Airline Event Day (ie Emirates A380/A777 Simulator)
86.67%
Airport Tour
53.33%
Other (please post within this thread)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:52 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

Folks,

We've got just on 2-weeks to go. The suspense is nearly killing me. We're actually full, 2-weeks prior to the event kick-off. You can waitlist for the brunch and the Airport/EK components separately, but I can't promise anything. We'll be updating the flights/hotels section shortly as well as the event attendee details.
Register here:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3499490069

Here's the agenda as it stands today. All attendees must register via the Eventbrite page, which is here http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3499490069. This is for the actual 3-day event, plus the individual days - such as brunch etc. The only event you have to send a deposit for is the brunch. I know we have gone back and forth re the brunch location, but the final venue will be the Park Hyatt. A lot of us are using this as our base, they were good to us last year and the Summer Special 3-day package is not bad value. Not FlyerTalk amazing, but not bad all the same. Plus, if you do choose to stay at the Park Hyatt, you receive 20% of all food and beverage, including the brunch.

AGENDA
Thursday 14 June
Welcome Drinks - InterContinental Hotel, Festival City
Ground floor bar (see photo). You can be sure the barman won't be smiling after he's had a bunch of FlyerTalkers for the evening.
6pm till late (or we fall over). We had a great time last year.
*Everyone pays their own way. But you can buy me as many drinks as you want

Friday 15 June
Brunch 12.30pm to 4pm
The Park Hyatt

We have a dedicated area for us - and you will need to pre-pay the balance of your meal prior to sitting down. I know it sounds a little rude - but it's the only way the hotel will be able to keep track of things (as there are 3 options). I know from personal experience how hard it is to try and settle a tab at 4pm, after eating and drinking like Roman Kings and Queens. Someone always ends up getting the short end of the straw so to speak. Everyone who has registered for the brunch via the Eventbrite page, will have paid a deposit of US$73. The balance payable to the hotel will be able to be paid via cash or card and will be charged in AED.

The hotel have promised to make the payment and registration process a lot easier this year, so all meet from 12-noon onwards at the top of the stairs (near the coffee shop) and at the end of the lobby.

Dress: Smart Casual

Lunch Options.
1. Just the meal AED395
2. The meal plus free-flow wine and beer AED495
3. The "Prospero". This is the fully monty. Free flow wine, beer, Mohitos and french champagne. AED595

Back to lunch logistics. Each person will be given a coloured wristband which will correspond to your choice.

The cut-off for the brunch is the 12th June - as we have to advise the hotel of final numbers on Monday the 13th and prepay the holding deposit. So if you haven't decided, you have just under a month to eat steamed vegetables, drink a lot of tea and hit the treadmill. Or something like that.

Here's a great write up of what to expect by a serious foodie.
http://www.whatihadfordinnertonight.com/?p=11520

Meet in the lobby from 12-noon for a coffee and a chat...it really is a cracker of a hotel. The staff have also been very professional and attentive. Ised, Khalid26 and I visited the Park Hyatt on our recon mission about a month ago and it just so happened to be on a Friday, so we thought we should have brunch. We needed a good lie down afterwards.

Directions: http://dubai.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...pMapDirections

Afternoon activities (for those of you who think you will be able to move)
4.30pm - To the top of the Burj.

Saturday 16 June

Morning activities (optional)

1. Skiing with eightblack. 2 hrs probably. We'll meet at 10am at the front entrance to SkiDubai. http://www.skidxb.com/ Or whenever time I wake up and recover from the brunch and drinks the day prior. Don't call me. I'll call you. If you don't hear from me after emailing and texting me, start delivering double espresso's to my room every 15-mins.

What you need to bring:
- Gloves and a hat (as they don't rent these due to health reasons. But they will sell them to you - probably at a cost which would make brunch at the Park Hyatt look cheap).
- Cost is AED180 for the 2-hours. Or approx US$50. Covers all equipment rental (jacket, pants, disposable socks, boots, skis and poles). Check the website for more details.

2. Dune Bashing
The official event on Saturday morning is the dune bashing for those who don't want to go skiing. Don't worry though, you don't have to step into the sun. 4WDs/ SUVs will pick up people at their hotels at 9 am. There'll be one hour of dune bashing out in the desert from 10 am to 11 am. Expect to be back in the hotel by noon. If you haven't done this (or roller-coasters) before, I'd recommend coming on an empty stomach.

We're going to be doing this with Arabian Adventures and they are offering a price of AED 200 (US$ 55) per person based on 6 people per car (we'll let them figure out the logistics of that).

If you are interested, please send me a PM or indicate your interest on the thread as we need indicative numbers to make the booking. I'll add names to the list below:

For those who are arriving early, leaving late or not participating in some activities and have a free evening, you might be interested in doing the full blown desert safari including campsite BBQ, belly dancing, camel rides etc.

Strangely, this works out to AED160 (US$ 44) with Llama Tours (this is a special price - PM me and I'll send you details of who to contact) or AED 330 (US$ 90) with Arabian Adventures (this is the regular price though we can provide a contact person if required). Word has it Arabian Adventures offers a nicer experience, but this is entirely up to attendees. Just suggestions - not a part of the DO and not being organized as a group activity.

3. Burj (for those who didn't end up going on Friday). If anyone wants to volunteer to lead this, then let me know. I think there are already 7-8 of you signed up for this.

Dinner
We're going to go local and head to something very casual, which is what we did last year. Zol has made a terrific recommendation, which is here http://www.reemalbawadi.com/index.php

Sadly, they don't serve alcohol, so I will be staying at home. Kidding

4. Private Cocktail Party (location to be advised)
This is for FT'ers only, (and the reason you need your duty-free). You wont be allowed entry unless you bring an offering. If you are unsure as to what to contribute, PM me and I will provide some suggestions.

Sunday 17th June

Airport Tour and EK Event - Details still being finalised

Do Etiquette:
1. Sense of humor is compulsory
2. Be adventurous. Have fun. There is no official "start" or "end". You come and go as you please.
3. No one will laugh at you if all you want to talk about is miles and status and elite levels. Think of it as speed dating, but without the complications in the morning
4. No means no. As in, if you don't want to participate in anything, and you want to sit in your room in your underwear and chant, then go right ahead.
5. It's perfectly fine if you don't drink alcohol. Apparently there are some FlyerTalkers who don't drink. I've never met one mind you.
6. You will be given name-tags. They are trendy. Wear them with pride.
7. Check the Dubai Do thread daily for agenda updates, compromising photos and a general recap of what's going on. Or went on. You know what I mean.
8. If you complain about the heat - the first round of drinks is on you. Remember, we are in the middle of the desert. It's summer in Dubai. Even the locals aren't happy about the weather. Taxi drivers are even less impressed. It's because of this weather that they invented beer.
9. Do not post photos of fellow FT'ers on FaceSpace, FT, or whatever the hell other social media thingy you belong to without their permission. Seriously.
10. Yes of course you may buy me a drink. You can buy me many. I am built for events such as these.
11. Any questions, please PM or ask. I will have my iPhone with me the whole time, so you can either text me or email me. All complaints, please refer to Ung1, between the hours of 0200 and 0210 on the 17th June, 2035.

Register here:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3499490069
Attendee Listing

GOLD
  1. eightblack
  2. mrtdxb
  3. khalid26
  4. dedehans
  5. Ung1
  6. lsed
  7. PanGalactic
  8. jetsetr
  9. jac747
  10. FriendlySkies
  11. ParanoiaTX
  12. asiadxer
  13. KU104
  14. father_ted
  15. Top Of Climb
  16. deirdre
  17. whimike
  18. AF 001
  19. From NYC
  20. Golden Toque
  21. LF Corsten
  22. LF Corsten +1
  23. Xlr
  24. G_G
  25. pjm1300
  26. cawhite
  27. Weatherboy
  28. dolphinchicaddd
  29. desert weasel
  30. desert weasel +1

Only confirmed, regsitered attendees will show on the above list now.

Events

Top Of The Burj
  1. eightblack

SkiDubai With Simon
  1. eightblack

Dune Bashing with Ung1
  1. Ung1

Desert Safari

Last edited by eightblack; May 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm Reason: Amended dates + attendees
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
sorry I missed the last one, I've put the dates in my calendar, hopefully they still will be free when Do time comes^
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:00 pm

I'll be transiting on the 30th, - I might be able to make it if it's matinée, but gotta move my connection to EK953.

Last edited by edy4eva; Dec 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I'll be there. :-)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Could have done beginning of June but leave by 5th. Pity cos last years looked great.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I just PM'd you Simon, my summer repat is June 16-July 15 thus I'll miss this one. Damn as I just got a status match to EK Gold and want to connect with the airline and events. I try and get out of the 120 degree heat whenever I can, thus I will be back in the US visiting family during that time. Hope for another opportunity to do something with EK and will gladly assist with anything.

^
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm a probable...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Wow summer in Dubai. That would be interesting.

I just noticed this is just a few days after Nome DO but may be able to squeeze in both.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 23, 2011 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:42 pm

Damn! I'm in DXB the week before
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Very interested
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I really don't like planning this far in advance but i plan on booking an award ticket tomorrow using my AS miles for the tentative dates (thank you change fee/redeposit waivers). I found availability in premium cabin even though i have to go from USA through Asia.

Any plans on a discount at the host hotel? I know its early. The AAA discount rate is $1000 USD for the nights i will need (Itin has a 4am arrival in DXB on 6/27)

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 23, 2011 at 7:44 pm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by eightblack
Ok, let's do it again...

Tentative dates are June 28/29/30 and July 01. Park Hyatt will be the base. Not sure about including EK again, but it's too early to tell and will depend on how many "newbies" attend versus Alumni.

Brunch will be on Fri 29 June
Saturday will be a mega-event
Sunday - lie down and go home.

Start planning now...and yes, I know it's hot and the middle of summer, but there are good hotel and flight deals during this time.

Cheers

SIMON
(eightblack)
possibly again but only with +1.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Possibly. UA is currently $2100, with no NC availability. If the fare drops, I'm in.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Very interested in attending ^
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CDKing
Any plans on a discount at the host hotel? I know its early. The AAA discount rate is $1000 USD for the nights i will need (Itin has a 4am arrival in DXB on 6/27)
Hotels are dirt cheap in Dubai at that time of year. It's not worth wasting points when you can get a 5* for Ł50 a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.