Wiki Posts
Search

Rest in peace Newself

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I am so sad to hear this.

I never met Dave but so many of my FT friends spoke of him with love and warmth so I always felt our paths would cross someday.

What a sad shock to everyone who knew him. My condolences to his wife, family and friends.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Jeannie just called me with the news about Dave. I am in shock at the loss of a dear and wonderful friend. I will always remember PIP, BRT I, Portland Beerfest, the trip to HKG, the many trips to HNL and all the other times we were lucky enough to be together to enjoy good food, drink and talk. I am grateful that he found true love and happiness with Jeannie even though their time together was not that long.

We have been talking about getting together in Seattle or Vancouver again for the past year, but could never get the right timing. Goes to show that we should just make time to get together with our friends more often.

RIP Dave. I will miss you a lot.

TropicalFlyer
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Dave,

We will miss you.

RIP and hoist one by the pool for your FT friends.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
Newself was one of the first FlyerTalkers I met more than a decade ago when I was an FT newbie. To me he was one of the faces of FlyerTalk. It was truly a shock to hear of his passing today, too soon, too soon... Flyertalk, and the world for that matter, is a little darker without him. My most sincere condolences and prayers to Dave's family. Thanks for everything Dave, you are missed.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
RIP Newself, although we have not met yet, it seem I already knew Dave from all the kind of nice words his friends is saying about Dave. ^

Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
My condolences to his wife, family, and friends.

I met Dave at my first DO and would run into him from time to time at other FT functions. We talked story over many a meal the past few years. I, like others here are in shock over this news. He will be missed.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
RIP Dave

What a tragic loss. I have very fond memories of Dave at the PiP and my trips to CA. I'm joining everyone in mourning. Thanks for the memories Dave. You will be missed.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What shocking news. Dave and I had a long running joke where we called each other sister and brother. This is a loss of a genuinely nice guy.
Yes, unfortunately for him. We are mourns him and its time ready for him to go. We are very extremely disappointing the news to hear. My condolences with his family. I am never met him in person before.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:12 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Dave was one of the old-timers who was in it for the friendships first and the miles second. Really, really sad.

Last edited by markbach; Jun 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm in Europe on holiday & logged on briefly for something else. I received many emails & PMs about Dave, and am stunned/upset to say the least. I literally have to leave in 3 minutes for something & will be offline for at least 36 hours. I'll post when I return, but reading the lovely tributes & memories to Dave above mirror my thoughts.

RIP my friend. You'll be sorely missed.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Like so many here, I am at a loss.

Dave was a friend, a mentor. Sh*t, he was who I wanted to be when I grew up.

I just pray that those who love him most can find comfort. I can only imagine what they are going through...to lose a man who was so amazing, so full of the joy of life. I am, literally, crying with them.

As an aside, it's nice to see so many super-old-timer FTers on this thread. I miss you guys too!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: UA, VA, ZL, Priority Club, HH. Rydges.
]This news has stunned me. I first met Dave at the gate waiting for our flight to Hobart for OZFest 5 thanks to the yellow FT tags and again in Adelaide with Jeannie.
My condolences to his loved ones.

Ray

Last edited by g-day; Jun 26, 2011 at 12:52 am Reason: Added photo
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Very sad news, my condolences to his family. Before we had moderators, we had deputy Catcops on FT.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by squeakr
I never met Dave but so many of my FT friends spoke of him with love and warmth so I always felt our paths would cross someday.

What a sad shock to everyone who knew him. My condolences to his wife, family and friends.
+1

Never met him either, but my condolences to his wife, family and friends and to all for your losses..

Here's to you, Sir.. One glass of bubbly and a farewell. Rest In Peace..
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:39 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Sad, horrible news reaching me, appropriately enough, on a rainy and somber day in Manchester, UK. I am in tears.

Dave was a great guy in every way. I first met him at PIP, and joked that we must be a couple because in a number of FT pics we were standing next to each other. A fellow Long Beach Grand Prix fan, I saw him at any number of times around SoCal, and beyond; sometimes running into him randomly around town.

Sweet journey Dave...I know you will get upgraded by the big guy upstairs. Love, Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.