"Chicago Seminars 2011" October 29 and 30 Registration Open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Chicago Seminars 2011" October 29 and 30 Registration Open

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
In addition to simplicity and not giving extra work to our overworked organizers, I think it also only fair that if Mr XYZ backs out of attending, a person who placed himself on the proper waiting list should have priority over another who merely knows Mr XYZ.

Also, in the spirit of discouraging thoughtless behavior, should there be a small nonrefundable fee like $10 for being placed on the waiting list?

(I am not an organizer and I am not saying there will be a formal waiting list, but I hope you get the spirit of my argument.)
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
Thanks guys for organizing this again this year. Last year it was fantastic.

I have marked my calendar and will look forward to seeing everyone again.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Wow... I am really bummed that the dates changed. I have a big trip that I scheduled around the earlier dates (that sounded pretty solid when first posted!).
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by ingy
The only actions you should be taking now RE this event are: clear your calendar and subscribe to the thread.
Ingy
Done... Done!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by muflyer
Thanks guys for organizing this again this year. Last year it was fantastic.
I have marked my calendar and will look forward to seeing everyone again.
Ditto ditto ditto!
Last year was probably the most informative time I've ever spent, at least since I learned as a child that a dark stove burner isn't always cold.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:21 pm

Dates saved... hope I can make it this year!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Pl, SPG PL, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, SWA CP
Signedup
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Count me in, I'm attending.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:17 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Captain Denny Flanagan will be Speaking as Well

I just got word that Captain Flanagan will be giving his take on the industry and customer service.

Capt Denny will be sharing a two hour seminar with Luckycoins on Saturday
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
This is just a suggestion (if you already have determined it to be impractical, feel free to ignore it):

Is it possible to make the hotel reservation first night refundable up to 30 or 45 days before (or whatever time figure the hotel would be comfortable with)?

I'm not sure how the dynamics of this are going to play out with registration (will almost everybody sign up again within the first day?) since the total nonrefundable financial outlay this far in advance is going to be around $160.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:06 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I will be there. With my drinking boots
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:32 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by GrizShel
This is just a suggestion (if you already have determined it to be impractical, feel free to ignore it):

Is it possible to make the hotel reservation first night refundable up to 30 or 45 days before (or whatever time figure the hotel would be comfortable with)?

I'm not sure how the dynamics of this are going to play out with registration (will almost everybody sign up again within the first day?) since the total nonrefundable financial outlay this far in advance is going to be around $160.
I think one of the points of having the first night's lodging prepaid and non-refundable is to cut down the work of the organizers. Last year many people signed up, there was no "waiting list" but then due to the high number of cancellations, they opened up registration again. Read: lots of work.

I think with the +-$160 initial non-refundable outlay, more people will be serious when they sign up, which is not a bad thing IMHO.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Reserved for comments from toomanybooks to be added as we go along.

When considering a repeat of last year's DO, of course we looked at other hotels in the ORD area. To forestall numerous comments I know are coming, we know about the Rosemont hotels and others along the Blue Line (such as the ORD Marriott) and we evaluated them for the DO. I visited the suitable ones that would give me an appointment.

They ALL required ingy and/or me to sign a personal guarantee on the order of 70-80% of the room block cost plus anticipated food and beverage. Since we are looking at something like $65,000+ for this weekend, and we aren't making any money on this, we decided we would not take the risk.

Furthermore, these other hotels:

1. Failed to return repeated phone calls.
2. Changed terms and conditions after we had negotiated things.
3. Changed weekend dates on us unilaterally when a better offer came along, then lied about it (a real pi$$er)
4. Wanted IMMENSE amounts of money for microphones, projectors, wi-fi, etc.
5. Switched sales reps on us so we had to explain everything all over again
6. Were going to cost 50% more
7. etc.

The only hotel that would not make us sign a personal guarantee was the EGV Holiday Inn, because they know for certain we will completely fill their hotel in a few hours the way we did last time. Furthermore, they were very responsive to some of the improvements we wanted and willing to work with us. I'm confident the changes ingy negotiated with them will make this event better than last year's.
I would strongly suggest run to a site selection company to help you book hotels. Having done few meeitng for my company myself, the end results is night and day. When we tried to book hotels ourselves, all my secretaries quit on the job. Now I just call one guy and the contract show up in front of me.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, FB GOLD, HH DIA, SPG PLAT
*deleted*

Last edited by PatBateman23; Mar 1, 2011 at 1:35 am Reason: wasn't ready for primetime
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by PatBateman23
Just received this through onemileatatime blog:
Premature and wasn't ready for primetime / not released in this thread. That blog entry was deleted shortly after it was posted. Hopefully those who may have gotten in won't cause a serious problem. Mistakes happen, Lucky's human.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.