Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page > How to meet other FT'ers on same flight

How to meet other FT'ers on same flight

Reply

Old Aug 24, 10, 7:44 am
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 577
How to meet other FT'ers on same flight

This is an open discussion on how FT'ers can spot one another if they are sitting next to each other. While luggage tags on rollerboard and laptop bags are nice, often times people do not look at someone's luggage as they put it in the overhead bin. I also do no not like invading someone's personal space by examining there luggage/laptop bags, etc as they stow it under their seat. FT pins are OK but you have to remember to bring your pin and have it visible.

What we need is something simple yet obvious that your seatmate is a FT'er. How about the following:
  1. When boarding door is shut or when all seats are full, take emergency exit pamplet, open it, hang it upside down, and have it such that it is visible from seat pocket.
  2. When flight is complete, take emergency exit, and flip-it right side up.

Doing procedure may also spark conversation with future FT'ers too. This is merely a suggestion and apologies if there is a better way to spot one another.
ComAirKid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 7:49 am
  #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MEM
Programs: DL - GM
Posts: 886
Simple, just walk up to everyone and ask "Do you know who I am?". If they do, then they're an FT'er.
Moebius01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 7:54 am
  #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MCO
Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Posts: 8,685
Originally Posted by ComAirKid View Post
This is an open discussion on how FT'ers can spot one another if they are sitting next to each other. While luggage tags on rollerboard and laptop bags are nice, often times people do not look at someone's luggage as they put it in the overhead bin. I also do no not like invading someone's personal space by examining there luggage/laptop bags, etc as they stow it under their seat. FT pins are OK but you have to remember to bring your pin and have it visible.

What we need is something simple yet obvious that your seatmate is a FT'er. How about the following:
  1. When boarding door is shut or when all seats are full, take emergency exit pamplet, open it, hang it upside down, and have it such that it is visible from seat pocket.
  2. When flight is complete, take emergency exit, and flip-it right side up.

Doing procedure may also spark conversation with future FT'ers too. This is merely a suggestion and apologies if there is a better way to spot one another.
The bright yellow FT tags have worked fine for me.... And I haven't had to act too strangely to get recognized.
Crazyhotelguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 8:03 am
  #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West of the Rockies
Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Posts: 1,271
Have the FA ask all FT'ers on board to ring their call buttons (that will make it easier for them to comp adult beverages)

MO
MachOne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 8:36 am
  #5
 
Italy98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GNV which is not where we would like to be :)
Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 4,526
Originally Posted by MachOne View Post
Have the FA ask all FT'ers on board to ring their call buttons (that will make it easier for them to comp adult beverages)

MO
Simple and easy. Could result in new members and more competition for the highly contested UGs.
Italy98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 8:45 am
  #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MCO
Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,082
Originally Posted by ComAirKid View Post
What we need is something simple yet obvious that your seatmate is a FT'er.
How about having the FA's add at the end of their safety announcement, "And we would especially like to recognize our FTer's on this flight. Please stand up and take a bow for the non-elite pax."
Sez_Who is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 10:12 am
  #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by Sez_Who View Post
How about having the FA's add at the end of their safety announcement, "And we would especially like to recognize our FTer's on this flight. Please stand up and take a bow for the non-elite pax."
Nice!
YesLetsDiscuss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 10:40 am
  #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM/2.1MM, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by Sez_Who View Post
How about having the FA's add at the end of their safety announcement, "And we would especially like to recognize our FTer's on this flight. Please stand up and take a bow for the non-elite pax."
"We would especially like to thank our Diamond, Platinum, Gold and FlyerTalk passengers with us on today's flight."
SeaClay007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 10:46 am
  #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Gargoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an ORD approach path
Programs: DL PM, MM, RW, SC. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Posts: 12,893
The FA's could announce that any FT'er who stands up, announces their handle and takes a bow will receive a bonus of 500 MQM's.
Gargoyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 11:22 am
  #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gulf Coast/Ventura County/Somewhere in between
Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Posts: 4,429
Originally Posted by SeaClay007 View Post
"We would especially like to thank our Diamond, Platinum, Gold and FlyerTalk passengers with us on today's flight."
Good job! In true DL fashion you ignored Silvers...
dd992emo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 11:29 am
  #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM/2.1MM, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by dd992emo View Post
Good job! In true DL fashion you ignored Silvers...
I was hoping someone would catch on.
SeaClay007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 12:02 pm
  #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
avidflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAX/BOS/HKG/AMS/SFO...hmm, I need a life.
Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 13,316
Originally Posted by dd992emo View Post
Good job! In true DL fashion you ignored Silvers...


I like the annoucment but I would go a little further and specifically exclude FO.

"We would like to thank everyone on today's flight except our Skymiles Silver members"
avidflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 12:07 pm
  #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM/2.1MM, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
I like the annoucment but I would go a little further and specifically exclude FO.

"We would like to thank everyone on today's flight except our Skymiles Silver members"
Interestingly, in BOS, as you probably know, there is a Silver-only check-in line, often with two people on duty (as is the case with the Sky Priority line).

At least in BOS on the ground, FOs are getting some special treatment.

Last edited by SeaClay007; Aug 24, 10 at 12:13 pm Reason: punctuation
SeaClay007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 1:36 pm
  #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA, AK, or FL 350
Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Posts: 950
Originally Posted by SeaClay007 View Post
Interestingly, in BOS, as you probably know, there is a Silver-only check-in line, often with two people on duty (as is the case with the Sky Priority line).

At least in BOS on the ground, FOs are getting some special treatment.
At EWR last week, I seem to recall the Sky Priority check in line sign stating in bold letters near the bottom "Silver Medallion".
Frozentech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 10, 1:49 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STX
Programs: DL PM, CO GOLD
Posts: 75
I was thinking of a FT tattoo like a tear drop on my right eye?
Bman06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:20 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.