Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
A Platinum member can bring one guest, provided that guest is staying in the Platinum member's room. However, as with all things related to individual properties, YMMV.

Best regards,

William
That is a big contrast to how Marriott does it. Marriott allows you to bring guests, though the limit kind of varies, but I know that it is two in most places, not really enforced, and it does not matter whether they are in your room or not. I use Marriott club lounges for business meetings often. It would seem that is not possible with Starwood, what a shame.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Actually Marriott's policy is similar to Starwood's. But THIS thread is about StarMegaDo2. Might I gently suggest if folk want to get into whose program is better discussion they take it to the individual hotel forums

To the organizers - thanks for posting the schedule. This trip is already pricey - now I have to decide whether to come in on Sun vs Monday. Decisions, decisions...

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by USirritated
That is a big contrast to how Marriott does it. ..
Yes, I think there is a world of difference in how SPG and Marriott Rewards do things. Vive la difference!

Best regards,

William
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
That is a big contrast to how Marriott does it. Marriott allows you to bring guests, though the limit kind of varies, but I know that it is two in most places, not really enforced, and it does not matter whether they are in your room or not. I use Marriott club lounges for business meetings often. It would seem that is not possible with Starwood, what a shame.
Clearly, that's why your hotel affinity is with Marriott!

Honestly, even if one doesn't drink alcohol -- they can certainly consume a lot in non-alcoholic drink & food! To have guests that are not registered at the hotel to be partaking in the club lounge offerings must make it difficult for the hotel to manage the lounge, in terms of providing proper service for all those who are paying for the privilege! Afterall, they are in the business to make money from their restaurants & lounges, as well!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I think there is a world of difference in how SPG and Marriott Rewards do things. Vive la difference!

Best regards,

William
LOL!

Looking forward to finally meeting you, William!^
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:32 am

Getting back to Do activities ...

If by chance I do come in on Sunday, what time are the festivities supposed to start that night?

And re: Monday at JFK, is there a particular time we're all meeting up there (presumably in the LH lounge)? Anything planned for that, or is it primarily drink, eat, sit, gab 'til various flight times?

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club

Best regards,

William
William, Mr. Lurker, forgive me for being dense, but you work for Starwood, correct? I also look forward to meeting you.

Originally Posted by mnmag
Clearly, that's why your hotel affinity is with Marriott!

Honestly, even if one doesn't drink alcohol -- they can certainly consume a lot in non-alcoholic drink & food! To have guests that are not registered at the hotel to be partaking in the club lounge offerings must make it difficult for the hotel to manage the lounge, in terms of providing proper service for all those who are paying for the privilege! Afterall, they are in the business to make money from their restaurants & lounges, as well!
No, my hotel affinity is with Marriott because I have been Marriott Platinum since before the present format for Starwood, or more accurately SPG, started operations back in the mid 90s.

I don't think that Marriott generally has any trouble operating their lounges. Remember, the point of the lounges is for paying club level guests and to reward elite members, so obviously the lounges are set up as cost centers, not profit centers, by and large. The exceptions to that would be when there are a lot of club level paying guests, which I would think increase when conventions, conferences, and meetings take place in or nearby the hotels.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And re: Monday at JFK, is there a particular time we're all meeting up there (presumably in the LH lounge)? Anything planned for that, or is it primarily drink, eat, sit, gab 'til various flight times?

Cheers.
That reminds me, how do we get into the LH lounge if we are not LH lounge paying members?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:41 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
William, Mr. Lurker, forgive me for being dense, but you work for Starwood, correct? I also look forward to meeting you...
Yes. It will be my very great pleasure to do so.

Best regards,

William
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That reminds me, how do we get into the LH lounge if we are not LH lounge paying members?
If you're participating in SMD2 and flying on the charter, access to the JFK lounge will be arranged.

Xyzzy
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
If you're participating in SMD2 and flying on the charter, access to the JFK lounge will be arranged.

Xyzzy
YAY!^
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy

Xyzzy
Supercalifragilisticexpeealadocious! Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I'm considering taking a redeye back to Ewr on the night of the 5th. Any idea when the Boeing visit will finish up?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by hughw
I'm considering taking a redeye back to Ewr on the night of the 5th. Any idea when the Boeing visit will finish up?
I am considering the same, except to MSY. I know that the Boeing visit will end plenty early enough for any red-eye, but what I would like to know is what are the festivities for the NIGHT OF the 5th please?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:30 am

You know, I started thinking about the whole club lounge thing & something occurred to me.

We've got over 200+ FTers who are on SMD2, the majority of whom will probably be staying at the hotel. A number of them either have top status w/ Starwood or will be getting it by taking up Starwood on the Platinum status comp offer. Which means that basically most will be able to access the lounge.

I've never stayed at the IAH Sheraton, but I seriously doubt ANY hotel club lounge can handle 200+ folk descending on it more or less at once early in the a.m. for brekkie before CO Tour or SMDo Charter, or handle the same upon return should people decide to get a drink & munchies before evening activities (late at night perhaps, because people will split between lounge, bar, & Jr or Full Suites).

So - is the hotel planning on having a separate room (meeting room maybe) for the hungry FT hordes who want to take advantage of their well-earned or newly-minted status? If not, it's going to get mighty crowded in the lounge - and then we'll probably have to listen to people complain about it being crowded, etc.

The restaurant or coffee shop (if the property has one) might be worth thinking about vs SRO for a cont brekkie in the lounge. I don't mean for the hotel to offer up (meeting room might be better for that), but for those who are willing to pay a few $$ to avoid SRO. And may also be another factor to consider when trying to decide between reg room, Jr. Suite or club level room.

Anyway, something to think about....

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.