Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cit ThankYou Points Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by fti
I make that suggestion for AA travelers too. My friend tried it at the airport (on my advice) and they still needed to call AA on the phone to get everything right. You would think the airlines have never changed/reissued a ticket in their life!!
I've had no problem getting the AA tickets exchanged successfully on the phone. No hitches at all.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
So I guess my final word to UA travelers: just go straight to the airport when you're changing your TYP tickets. You're already doing this if you want your residual voucher immediately, but even if the timing of the residual isn't critical, it's less painful to do it in person. Adding a 2nd person complicated matters as well: it's all allowable on UA, but I suspect they have a workflow process somewhere that tells them to physically print the voucher in the middle of the booking process.
A person told me he had to use the TYP ticket to book his wife's trip because she had to travel while his schedule was already full. He got himself a cheapie refundable, and then use the voucher for his wife's trip. All it took was less than 10 min at the airport counter, and he was not even told about the voucher would be issued in his wife's name (the last ticketed), but found out when he got home.

I guess it all depends on the first agent - if the first person did not know how to handle it, or messed it up somewhere in the process, it would then make it a very hard process.

In SFO I see UA has 2 counters that are for ticketing and the regular check-in counter agents dont do tickets when the ticketing desk is open - I would go to ticketing desk instead of check-in counter if your airport has one.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 18, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
So Happy do you know the anser to this question?

I took my TYP UA ticket and cancelled it for a new itin, and got issued a Type B Voucher in my name. If I use this voucher to buy a ticket for my friend and there's a balance left over, will the residual voucher be in my name or my friends name?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:16 am

Voucher and names

I took my TYP UA ticket and cancelled it for a new itin, and got issued a Type B Voucher in my name. If I use this voucher to buy a ticket for my friend and there's a balance left over, will the residual voucher be in my name or my friends name?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Your friend's name.

UA risidual voucher is in the name of the last ticketed.

OTOH, I am not sure how UA handles it when you use voucher to buy a ticket for a passenger has a different family name than yours.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My residual voucher is now in my wife's name... No biggie, other than the fact that I'll probably have to bring her to the airport with me when we book the next tickets with it.

MCI is too small to have a separate ticketing desk...I just know which agents have been there a while and which don't seem to know how to do the complicated stuff. (Handling a voucher or ticket exchange is deep into the "complicated" category, obviously.)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:21 pm

Hi peeps, just as a follow up I went to the airport to ticket my friend (different last name) went smoothly. I asked if the residual could be in my name she said that she couldn't do that but she would put in the "comment" section of the voucher that it was

"VALID FOR USE BY MR MRKYMARK"

That way, she said, you can use it even though its in your friends name.

Let's hope the next UA agent knows that as well!
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:55 am

So I guess my final word to UA travelers: just go straight to the airport when you're changing your TYP tickets. You're already doing this if you want your residual voucher immediately, but even if the timing of the residual isn't critical, it's less painful to do it in person. Adding a 2nd person complicated matters as well: it's all allowable on UA, but I suspect they have a workflow process somewhere that tells them to physically print the voucher in the middle of the booking process.
This was a lot more difficult than it should have been.

I was booking a flight for 3 people (my family) and a token toss away one way flight ($30) for myself that I didn't intend on using (since the vouchers have to be used for yourself the first time).

I booked everything online and went straight to the airport with the record locators in hand (one for my one way flight and another for the other three passengers). The first agent had no idea what he was doing. Help desk tried to talk him through the process but he got stumped. Finally, a senior agent came over and undid everything that he did and showed him how to deal with these types of vouchers situations with multiple passengers.

Basically, when the agent is trying to book voucher flights with multiple passengers, the agent should break up the PNR into three different PNRs. First apply the voucher to the first PNR. The excess amount will be issued as another voucher in passenger 1's name. Repeat and do the same for the next PNR and so on. At the end, the excess amount will be in the voucher of the last passenger's name. (Vouchers are vouchers.. they can be used for anyone regardless of name). Think of this as the waterfall method. They didn't charge me the $150 for each PNR.. since they were the ones that broke it up in their system.

The second time, I booked a flight for my aunt and my cousin with the vouchers and the agent looked stumped. I explained how the previous agent did it and she was able to book it rather quickly.

Hopefully this helps.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What are all these UA voucher stuff doing in citibank thread?

Does this forum have a moderator? Can those ot be moved to UA where they belong?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:34 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by estnet
Does this forum have a moderator? Can those ot be moved to UA where they belong?
Maybe you should read the thread.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
Looks like someone is a weeeeeee bit late to the party...
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes, late to the party, hoping to get some info. but NOT interested enough to read 800 posts
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:48 pm

Thank You Network the BEST Rewards Program Available

Wheew, just got off the phone with someone at Citibank account retention who, unlike countless others at that bank, thoroughly understood the TYN program, earning of points, fixed point redemptions, devaluation, etc. He promises and whole-heartedly believes the TYN is the best credit card rewards program available. I invited him out to the west coast for a cup of coffee and day long debate on this issue.

Prior to March 1, I would have taken his side. Now, I see TYN as no better than any other program. He said that although FPO is now gone, you can redeem at the regular rate 1000 points/$10 flight for most airlines, allowing you to take advantage of sale fares. Further, there are no added fees from TYN. He compared this to other programs, where a certain amount of points is required per tier of pricing (ie: 20,000 points for ALL airfares $150-$200), plus any added service fee.

He made an interesting point here. Does anyone have specific examples of this? Does the SPG program do this tiered pricing?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by mikensf74
He made an interesting point here. Does anyone have specific examples of this? Does the SPG program do this tiered pricing?
I have to admit that I'm kind of happy with the new TYN (as long as I can maintain the 4x+fp deal); basically, I try to max out my credit line 2 or 3 times per month, and have been rewarded with crazy amounts of points, which are almost as good as cash on Expedia. On the other hand, I recall reading somewhere that there could be a 200k earning cap on my card, which could bring the party to a close pretty soon. As such, I already have my eye on AA cards.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:08 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Looks like someone is a weeeeeee bit late to the party...
Late and lazy... Not a winning combo...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.