Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Rewards/Airline Redemption [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi ThankYou Rewards/Airline Redemption [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by aegean94305
1. date of redemption - 12/13/06
2. date of travel - 1/3-1/7/07
3. itinerary/airline/class - SFO-BOS/UA/ECONOMY
4. pts cost: 25k
5. tax and fees - 40 something, waived
6. price if purchased - $360
7. value of TY pts - 1.4 cents/pt

May I assume you never need more expensive tickets?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:37 pm
LRD

Programs: AA 6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I didn't see the upgrade question, or I would have answered. Yes, Thank You Point tickets can be upgraded so long as they were booked into an upgradeble fare class. This depends on what was available at time of booking. So long as O and Q are not available on AA for your dates, if TYP book an AA itinerary, you can upgrade. Most dates do not have O or Q fares interntional, so you are fine.
Thanks.

Just for clarification, is there any way to positively know the fare class before TYN finalizes the transaction?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LRD
Thanks.

Just for clarification, is there any way to positively know the fare class before TYN finalizes the transaction?

I start by doing my own Expedia search. I also ask the CSR what fare class the tickets are in. Usually their answer matches my own search.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by psychtobe
I start by doing my own Expedia search.
Bingo.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:52 pm

Long time lurker at FT but first time posting.

1. date of redemption - 12/21/06
2. date of travel - 2/10/07-2/18/07
3. itinerary/airline/class - DAY-OGG/UA/Economy
4. pts cost: 40k/ticket 80k total
5. tax and fees - 180 something, waived
6. price if purchased - $750 each, $1500 total
7. value of TY pts - 1.9 cents/pt

Thanks again for all the help guys...cant wait to get to Maui...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what was the highest ratio of redemption so far?

on the last 2 pages I saw one that was 2.2cent/pt for a flight between ATL and PBI (such a short distance flight!)

the norm seems to be around 1.5 to 1.8cent/pt.

The Hawaii ticket was the poorest ratio.

Has anyone achieved 3cent or above?

Our situation does not normally involve travel at peak period (in fact we would avoid it, unless for the bump, lol), so that takes one positive out of the equation.

I used to redeem the TY pts for the plain 1c/1p giftcards - now I may rethink this.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:14 am

Post #67 had a 5.2 cent/mile ticket and post #73 had a 6.5 cent/mile ticket (the India one).
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:13 am

I dont know if you are referring to my ticket as being the "poorest" ratio but I guess I shall take 1.9c/pt when "the norm seems to be around 1.5 to 1.8cent/pt."

Anyways I doubt if people are going to be getting much more than 2c/pt in economy- think about it, domestic flights on expedia cannot cost much more than $500 (unless some short notice trips during peak seasons). So 2c/pt max.

Even the guys who redeemed for the trips to India, travelling in economy, dont have to pay much more than $1500 normally (again unless it was on short notice or in peak seasons)-and I think TY requires 80,000 points now.

The best thing about TY is its availability- you WILL be offered a ticket if you book 14 days in advance and have a Sat night stay in there, it might not suit your itinerary but you have an option. Dont think the other FF programs can offer that.
I love the TY program- just signed up for the EZ-checking to get 20,000 TY Points.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Happy
on the last 2 pages I saw one that was 2.2cent/pt for a flight between ATL and PBI (such a short distance flight!)

the norm seems to be around 1.5 to 1.8cent/pt.

The Hawaii ticket was the poorest ratio.

Has anyone achieved 3cent or above?

Our situation does not normally involve travel at peak period (in fact we would avoid it, unless for the bump, lol), so that takes one positive out of the equation.

I used to redeem the TY pts for the plain 1c/1p giftcards - now I may rethink this.

Last edited by mojomover; Dec 22, 2006 at 7:32 am
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I called today and booked two tickets from MSP-ATH May 10-20 on KLM/NW which is good bc i am Plat on NW. Two tickets $2750 for both for only 120,000 points. Around 2.5 cents per point, from which i can read is a good deal.

They have two systems to look in, make sure they look in both systems.

Thanks

Dave
Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:57 pm

Another thing to consider about the "value" of redemptions is the fact that you will earn miles on the redeemed tickets. For example, in the MSP-ATH example above the poster would be earning 225% of mileage flown (as NW Plat) on about 11,000 miles of flying. Even if you only value airline miles at a penny each, you're getting an additional $225 "rebate" on your redemption.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Actually a little bit more since they are booked in "B" class the whole way So another 5510
Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
here we go...

Date: 12/29-Jan 5, 2007
Airline: AA
Schedule: BRL-BOM
Qty: 3 Coach Class
Total Point: 180,000
Total Cost -- Will get in a few days

Date: 1/7/07 - 1/15/07
Airline: UA/LH
Schedule: RFD-BOM
Qty: 1 Coach Class
Total Point: 60,000
Total Cost: will get in a few days
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My apology. I meant the 1.4cent SFO to BOS trip. Your Hawaii trip is a decent redemption for TY pts.

I guess the main positives for most people do not really apply to us - the peak period travel and the availability - the 2 strong points are out of our equation as we usually can travel at the drop of the hat if we see a good deal. Otherwise we just stay home. There is hardly ever a situation we MUST travel within a short notice... Over the last few years we haven't yet paid a coast to coast ticket price higher than $250 all-in... even earlier this year - FLL/OAK r/t all-in was about $150 on AA, and FLL/PDX r/t all-in was about $180 on AA also, for example.

The other drawbacks on the TY tickets are: there is no open-jaw or stopover permitted. Our award travel pattern almost always includes a stopover, and frequently an open-jaw together with a stopover. I guess that part offsets the miles earned flying TY ticket. So the 3rd advantage of TY ticket is a wash to us.

I also feel the premium tickets are out of reach using TY pts - and that is where we are most interested.

That said, redeeming for flights is still a better usage of pts than redeeming for gift cards.

I received the solicitation of the 20K TY pts for signing up Citi checking as well. However, the monthly maintenance of 2 billpays is a bit too much for me to bother. The offer will expires 12/31/06. I guess I would be on the lookout to see if Citi bring out new offers. I do know there is another CASH offer of 2x$100 offer out there thru March...

Originally Posted by mojomover
I dont know if you are referring to my ticket as being the "poorest" ratio but I guess I shall take 1.9c/pt when "the norm seems to be around 1.5 to 1.8cent/pt."

Anyways I doubt if people are going to be getting much more than 2c/pt in economy- think about it, domestic flights on expedia cannot cost much more than $500 (unless some short notice trips during peak seasons). So 2c/pt max.

The best thing about TY is its availability- you WILL be offered a ticket if you book 14 days in advance and have a Sat night stay in there, it might not suit your itinerary but you have an option. Dont think the other FF programs can offer that.
I love the TY program- just signed up for the EZ-checking to get 20,000 TY Points.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:00 am

no problem.

I agree that there are pro's and con's of the TY program over the regular FF ones but overall I have been happy especially the ease of generating TY Points.

Regarding the EZ-checking, it says either a direct deposit or 2 bill pays or maintaining a $1500 combined balance for a period (think it is 6 months, maybe 12). So its not too bad, just set up a direct deposit from paypal or something for a $1 or maintain a $1500 balance, should be easy enough.

The 1500 can be in your savings as well.

Originally Posted by Happy
My apology. I meant the 1.4cent SFO to BOS trip. Your Hawaii trip is a decent redemption for TY pts.

I guess the main positives for most people do not really apply to us - the peak period travel and the availability - the 2 strong points are out of our equation as we usually can travel at the drop of the hat if we see a good deal. Otherwise we just stay home. There is hardly ever a situation we MUST travel within a short notice... Over the last few years we haven't yet paid a coast to coast ticket price higher than $250 all-in... even earlier this year - FLL/OAK r/t all-in was about $150 on AA, and FLL/PDX r/t all-in was about $180 on AA also, for example.

The other drawbacks on the TY tickets are: there is no open-jaw or stopover permitted. Our award travel pattern almost always includes a stopover, and frequently an open-jaw together with a stopover. I guess that part offsets the miles earned flying TY ticket. So the 3rd advantage of TY ticket is a wash to us.

I also feel the premium tickets are out of reach using TY pts - and that is where we are most interested.

That said, redeeming for flights is still a better usage of pts than redeeming for gift cards.

I received the solicitation of the 20K TY pts for signing up Citi checking as well. However, the monthly maintenance of 2 billpays is a bit too much for me to bother. The offer will expires 12/31/06. I guess I would be on the lookout to see if Citi bring out new offers. I do know there is another CASH offer of 2x$100 offer out there thru March...
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:40 am

Can you post more info on the 20,000 bonus for a Citi checking account? I didn't receive the solicitation, but maybe with some more info I can call and get it? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.