Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Rewards/Airline Redemption [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi ThankYou Rewards/Airline Redemption [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Citi Prestige
Originally Posted by kaptan
Anyone ever purchase an airline award (taxes and fees portion) from an airline using this card? If so, do they still credit your flight balance with the amount of flown miles for the award ticket even though you only paid for taxes and fees? I am assuming they would because the ticket number and city pairs show up on the statement even if all you are paying for is the taxes and fees. How would they know that my $50 charge for a ticket to Europe wasn't simply a mistake fare or some crazy sale????
Good point. Moreover, let's say that you paid for an upgrade with your card... What happens then? For instance, I just paid for a one way upgrade on a transatlantic segment charging $450 to my card. It shows the following in my statement (I put "X" to block the real data):

CONTINEN00503296559991 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
NAME: XXX/XXXXXXMR
DEPART: 06/01/06
XXX TO XXX : CO: CLASS: Y : STOP: O

Looks like I am going to get points for it, doesn't it?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Anyone ever purchase an airline award (taxes and fees portion) from an airline using this card? If so, do they still credit your flight balance with the amount of flown miles for the award ticket even though you only paid for taxes and fees?
Yes, multiple times w/o any problems. There are a few PremierPass threads such as this one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=premierpass
where this is discussed. This thread is more geared towards people sharing their experiences redeeming TY points for flights.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:58 pm

Anyone ever purchase an airline award (taxes and fees portion) from an airline using this card? If so, do they still credit your flight balance with the amount of flown miles for the award ticket even though you only paid for taxes and fees? I am assuming they would because the ticket number and city pairs show up on the statement even if all you are paying for is the taxes and fees. How would they know that my $50 charge for a ticket to Europe wasn't simply a mistake fare or some crazy sale????
I suspect this is the real reason why they now waive the taxes and fees.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by frantzy
I suspect this is the real reason why they now waive the taxes and fees.
Welcome to FT!

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mean that you suspect that taxes and fees are waived on flight redemptions through TY Network to avoid giving you flight points for it, that's definitely not true. Under the old system (with Global Impact), the taxes charged for flight redemptions were coded to prevent that from happening.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by acf573
Welcome to FT!

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mean that you suspect that taxes and fees are waived on flight redemptions through TY Network to avoid giving you flight points for it, that's definitely not true. Under the old system (with Global Impact), the taxes charged for flight redemptions were coded to prevent that from happening.
Thanks for the welcome! If I could find a way to eliminate the persistent pop-up attempts on this site I'd be thrilled.

You correctly guessed what I meant, although I may be completely wrong. I seem to recall getting credit under the old system whenever I paid taxes/fees. So I would earn flight points for award travel, which I loved .
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by frantzy
You correctly guessed what I meant, although I may be completely wrong. I seem to recall getting credit under the old system whenever I paid taxes/fees. So I would earn flight points for award travel, which I loved .
Yes, you do earn flight points when you use the PP card to pay for the taxes for award travel when using e.g., AA miles. I think in the T&C it says you don't, but their systems can't seem to tell the difference.

But when you use ThankYou points for a flight redemption, under the old system with Global Impact, I got a BOS-LHR RT and the flight info on the taxes was just coded as "XAA TO XAO : XD: CLASS: Y : STOP:" so you wouldn't earn any flight points.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA : GOLD
Originally Posted by aegean94305
1. date of redemption
2. date of travel
3. itinerary/airline/class
4. number of points cost
5. tax and fees, if any
1. June 20, 2005
2. Jul 8 - Jul 22
3. PHL (Philadelphia) - IAH (Houston) - MID (Merida, MX)
4. 30,000
5. $0

Same flight through Continental was $505, so for 30,000 points I'm happy to get the tickets. When I checked the confirmation the price on the receipt is $578.62.

Last edited by breaux124; Jun 21, 2006 at 7:12 am
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I have to wonder what the actual redemption statistics are... For everyone of us getting 2x value on our points, I'll bet there are 10 others calling up to spend 25,000 points on a $150 trip to Vegas or Disney...

For many people, maximizing value of points is something they don't even think about. "I've got 25,000 points, time for a trip to see Mickey!"

Now a question, are these tickets eligible for upgrades if you have status on the airline?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Citi Prestige
I doubt it that someone from this forum will act like that...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfunk138

Now a question, are these tickets eligible for upgrades if you have status on the airline?
of course - that's the whole point!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Try To Use Points For Infants

I am wondering if anyone in this forum has come across this situation:

My wife, baby and myself are planning a trip to India in OCT and return in Jan and will redeem points to get Biz class seats on Lufthansa...here is my dilemma:

1) My baby will be 1 yr old when she travels to India, but on the way back she will have turned 2 yrs old...Do I have to use points to buy her own separate seat or can she still travel as a lap child? If so, will I have to pay the 50% fare for her own seat? and then 75% on the way back?

Does TY offer a point reduction for children since they do seem to offer higher priced tickets such as Virgin/BA/Cathay at a higher point redemption?

I wanted to ask this forum before I went to TY....
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
successful Thanksgiving travel reservation

chalk up another TY Network success!

1. date of redemption - Aug 3, 2006
2. date of travel - Thu Nov 23, 2006 - Mon Nov 27, 2006
3. itinerary/airline/class - PDX-DTW-FNT and return in NW; economy
4. number of points cost - 25k each (total 2 tickets)
5. tax and fees, if any - waived (would have been $71 each)
6. price if purchased - $461 each
7. value of TY points - 1.84 cents each

the scoop: ideally I would have traveled PDX-DTW, but since NW tickets were outpricing AA by $100 each, they only offered me AA. The FNT itinerary showed NW as having the cheapeast flights, so I asked - and received.

The actual purchase price of these tickets with taxes and fees was $458 each if purchased at nwa.com. sweet!
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Last march I booked a skyteam award to Europe on Continental Business First for travel in August. This cost 100k Delta skymiles. I had to change the outbound leg in July and this cost $50 which i charged to my Prem Pass Citi M/C. I paid the taxes back in march with my Delta skymiles Amex. I will let you know if i get any flight points.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:30 pm

Rebooking fee

I used delta skymiles to book rt ticket to HNL. I used a different card to pay the $10 fee. I needed to make a change to the reservation, and I paid the $50 change fee with my citi premier pass card. I got point credits for the flights to/from HNL eventhough I didn't originally book the ticket with the premier pass card.

Makes me wonder if I had booked the original flight with the citicard and paid a change fee, if I would have gotten double flight points.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
[QUOTE=kms007]I used delta skymiles to book rt ticket to HNL. I used a different card to pay the $10 fee. I needed to make a change to the reservation, and I paid the $50 change fee with my citi premier pass card. I got point credits for the flights to/from HNL eventhough I didn't originally book the ticket with the premier pass card.

You probably would have gotten the double points...I have done it 3-4 times and each of the times, I have recvd double flight points...

I just paid to change the ticket and it showed thr flight routing with the flight points posting in 60 days.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.