Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Ultima card ? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by dw
The Prestige is still being offered in a number of international markets. I think Citi is really focusing on a different market segment in the US at this point. No issuer needs to be in every segment, and who knows if the Prestige product in the US was ever profitable.
it’s interesting that Citibank headquarters is the USA and it started here as well yet seems to be getting weaker and weaker in terms of credit cards and products. Seems to be a lot stronger in other countries especially in Asia. Without the AA credit card portfolio in the USA Citi wouldn’t probably exist as a major card player
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
Wondering with Prestige Card discontinuation in the USA if Citi might release the Ultima card.
Unlikely, but possible.

Convert existing Prestige cards and launch a new product to compete with Chase Sapphire Reserve, Capital One Venture X, American Express TPC. Can’t believe Citi would just abandon this market to their rivals.
That's intentional. Costco has contributed significantly to Citi's profit. There is no point spending on an area that is not winning.

it’s interesting that Citibank headquarters is the USA and it started here as well yet seems to be getting weaker and weaker in terms of credit cards and products. Seems to be a lot stronger in other countries especially in Asia.
That's no nexus. Many companies in fact do better elsewhere than home country.

Without the AA credit card portfolio in the USA Citi wouldn’t probably exist as a major card player
Actually Costco, not AA. Citi's partnership with AA has been significantly impacted by Barclay.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:00 am

Costco deal is with VISA and then Citi won the contract to issue the Costco Visa since unlike Amex Visa doesn’t issue cards directly. Also Citi only has one card that is Visa which is the Costco product. You can’t even use any other Citi card at Costco because they are all MasterCard yet you can use rivals cards like Chase and BofA since they issue Visa.

I don’t know of any bank in the world that is smaller in it’s home market than in secondary markets.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I don’t know of any bank in the world that is smaller in it’s home market than in secondary markets.
Citi is still #2 (after Chase) in the US both in terms of revolving balances and cards issued. For purchase volume, Citi is #3 as Amex is either #1 or #2.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Costco deal is with VISA and then Citi won the contract to issue the Costco Visa since unlike Amex Visa doesn’t issue cards directly. Also Citi only has one card that is Visa which is the Costco product. You can’t even use any other Citi card at Costco because they are all MasterCard yet you can use rivals cards like Chase and BofA since they issue Visa.
Merchant needs payment processing. Unlike AMEX, Visa does not involve in payment processing. Guess who gets the payment processing contract?

There are quite a few retail banks that fits that criteria. For instance, HSBC (Based in the U.K.; biggest profit base is in Asia), BNP Paribas (d/b/a Bank of the West in the U.S.), Banco Santander. Standard Chartered, DBS, BBVA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.