Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Premier bonus now (April 2023) requires 48 month interval.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Premier bonus now (April 2023) requires 48 month interval.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by frappant
Have had it about 5-6 months.

Hmm, that's pretty restrictive, airfare, hotels and travel agencies.

That would rule out train fares, cruises, ferry rides, cable car tickets. Also car rentals and tour operators like Viator or local tour companies for things like day trips or coach tours.
Actually I think Viator and similar sites code as travel agents/travel agencies, but please chime in to correct me if wrong. Also, OTAs count for the 3X, which also opens many doors to car rentals, cruises, and tours/activities through them.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Like I said, a tour booked on GetYourGuide.com, which is like Viator, coded as something different and I only got 1X points.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

That would rule out train fares, cruises, ferry rides, cable car tickets. Also car rentals and tour operators like Viator or local tour companies for things like day trips or coach tours.
The only two points cards that handle the super broad "it's all travel" category that handles stuff like trains, ferries, busses, transit, parking, etc. are the Chase Sapphires (2x as Preferred, 3x as Reserve) and the AMEX Green (3x). Bilt says "2x for airlines, hotels, motels, resorts, cruise lines, and car rental agencies" and Citi Premier is as discussed.
Old May 6, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can get 5x on some of those travel categories with the Citi Custom Cash card, but only if that's the only category you spend on in that billing cycle. And it has at least two separate categories for travel, and you can't mix those two travel categories in a particular month and expect to get 5x on all of them, since it only gives 5x for the category in which you spend the most that billing cycle.

The Citi Custom Cash card has no AF, so you can have it along with the Citi Premier at no extra cost.

The one "other travel" I routinely charge to my Custom Cash to get 5x on is airport parking.

For more about the Citi Custom Cash card, see this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-category.html
Old May 6, 2023, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You can get 5x on some of those travel categories with the Citi Custom Cash card, but only if that's the only category you spend on in that billing cycle. And it has at least two separate categories for travel, and you can't mix those two travel categories in a particular month and expect to get 5x on all of them, since it only gives 5x for the category in which you spend the most that billing cycle.

The Citi Custom Cash card has no AF, so you can have it along with the Citi Premier at no extra cost.

The one "other travel" I routinely charge to my Custom Cash to get 5x on is airport parking.

For more about the Citi Custom Cash card, see this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-category.html
What are FTers redeeming those points for most often, miles or statement credit?
Old May 7, 2023, 3:34 am

Has anyone charged Airbnb on Citi Premier?

Is it 1X or 3X?
Old May 13, 2023, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are FTers redeeming those points for most often, miles or statement credit?
If you have a Premier card (or the discontinued-for-new-applications Prestige card), then you can transfer your points from multiple Citi TYP cards to airlines or hotels. I'm pretty sure that's what most FTers who have one of those cards do.
Old May 13, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone charged Airbnb on Citi Premier?

Is it 1X or 3X?
Again, it matters when. Like I said before, until a few years ago, Citi Premier gave 3x on "the widest definition of travel". I don't remember the exact date of the change, but you need ask if some charge AirBnB on Citi Premier after that time, because only charges made after that Premier categories change would be relevant to what should work today.

I never use AirBNB or its equivalents, so I can't answer that myself.

Have you ever charged AirBNB to another card? If so, what category did it code under? If it wasn't "travel agency", or however that is typically phrased on billing categories, then it's not likely to give 3x on Premier. If it did code as 'travel agency", then it's much more likely to give 3x on Premier.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:00 pm

Again, it matters when. Like I said before, until a few years ago, Citi Premier gave 3x on "the widest definition of travel". I don't remember the exact date of the change, but you need ask if some charge AirBnB on Citi Premier after that time, because only charges made after that Premier categories change would be relevant to what should work today.

I never use AirBNB or its equivalents, so I can't answer that myself.

Have you ever charged AirBNB to another card? If so, what category did it code under? If it wasn't "travel agency", or however that is typically phrased on billing categories, then it's not likely to give 3x on Premier. If it did code as 'travel agency", then it's much more likely to give 3x on Premier.

OK, I had a Airbnb charge earlier this month for $306.

My statement balance is $1205 and I got 3329 points, of which I got 3048 in 3X Air Travel and Hotels and 136 in 3X Restaurants and 145 in 1X All Other Purchases.

So I did get 3X for the $306 Airbnb charge.

I probably have some Airbnb charges on my Chase Sapphire Preferred but guessing I got 2X UR points on those.
JusRelax likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:02 pm

If you have a Premier card (or the discontinued-for-new-applications Prestige card), then you can transfer your points from multiple Citi TYP cards to airlines or hotels. I'm pretty sure that's what most FTers who have one of those cards do.

Yeah I guess I better study those airline and hotel programs vs. redeeming points for statement credit.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:37 am

I have a VRBO stay which billed from the property company, Evolve, as "lodging" on Citi Double Cash. If I get the same exact rental again, can I expect "lodging" to count as 3x on Premier next time? It does not say "hotel" so I would guess not.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I have a VRBO stay which billed from the property company, Evolve, as "lodging" on Citi Double Cash. If I get the same exact rental again, can I expect "lodging" to count as 3x on Premier next time? It does not say "hotel" so I would guess not.
Most of my hotel stays show up as lodging, so you should earn 3x.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Qatar Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by moe8555
Actually I think Viator and similar sites code as travel agents/travel agencies, but please chime in to correct me if wrong. Also, OTAs count for the 3X, which also opens many doors to car rentals, cruises, and tours/activities through them.
I have had Viator code as travel on AMEX Green and CSR, but haven’t tried it in Citi.

i accidentally discovered a pLeaSant surprise recently. I spend a fair amount of money on Road Scholar, which organizes tours for seniors, but has always coded as an educational organization rather than travel. Recently, when I was making a phone payment to them, I grabbed my premier because I hadn’t used it in awhile, and the Premier counted it as travel and gave 3x points! I made another larger payment later, and had the same result. Since I spent a fair amount of money with them, I am pleased.
mia and willoL like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:59 am
RNE

Friday, 7:30 pm: added P2 to my Citi Premier. Called Citi for priority delivery.
Monday, 9:42 am: card arrived via FedEx Overnight

RNE, saying,
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mike B
... Recently, when I was making a phone payment to them, I grabbed my premier because I hadn’t used it in awhile,
and the Premier counted it as travel and gave 3x points!
That't a nice surprise! Has anyone tried charging HOA fees to Citi Premier by chance? My old BoA Visa counted HOA as "Lodging". But I haven't tested this on the Premier yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.