Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Premier bonus now (April 2023) requires 48 month interval.

Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Is this new? 48 month bonus requirement instead of not having opened/closed the card in the last 24 months?

Old Apr 7, 2023, 6:58 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Is this new? 48 month bonus requirement instead of not having opened/closed the card in the last 24 months?
Yes, it extends the disqualification time from 24 to 48 months, but it also eliminates the cross-disqualification for other ThankYou cards bonuses. Premier, Rewards+ and Custom Cash each has the 48 month disqualification period now.
dw likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:51 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Citi Premier bonus now (April 2023) requires 48 month interval.,

The previous offer, with 60,000 point bonus and 24 month disqualification language is still available here:

https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA...rLlvUVFbqk25TN

Bonus ThankYou® Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+®, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these accounts, in the past 24 months.
If you use this offer be sure to save screen shots of the application process to document that you applied under the 60k/24m rule, rather than the new 75k/48m rule.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Citi Premier® Card.pdf (203.5 KB, 29 views)
JusRelax likes this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 8, 2023 at 8:02 am
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Having a heck of a time getting approved for a Citi card over the last year. Not sure if it’s utilization, which tends to be on the very low side for me.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 11:54 am
mia

What do the rejection letters say?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
What do the rejection letters say?
Usually has 2-3 generic vague bs bullet points. Although the most recent mentioned Utilization. I’m just a bit surprised as I’ve never seen utilization cited by any other major CC issuer for a rejection reason.

Prior to the last 12 months, getting approved for a Citi card was a breeze. So something changed on their end.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 2:44 pm
mia

Citi and Capital One will decline applications if their algorithm calculates that you are unlikely to use it after earning the new account bonus. They assess this by looking at what you have done with existing accounts. Some discussion here: How many cards allowed, and how to justify more?
LETTERBOY, brc01 and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Usually has 2-3 generic vague bs bullet points. Although the most recent mentioned Utilization. I’m just a bit surprised as I’ve never seen utilization cited by any other major CC issuer for a rejection reason.

Prior to the last 12 months, getting approved for a Citi card was a breeze. So something changed on their end.
Credit card utilization rates have jumped up for some segments of the population to such levels that the banks are concerned about it and using it to systematically tighten things with their lending decisions.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Citi and Capital One will decline applications if their algorithm calculates that you are unlikely to use it after earning the new account bonus. They assess this by looking at what you have done with existing accounts. Some discussion here: How many cards allowed, and how to justify more?
Yeah oddly enough C1 has never rejected me.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Citi Premier Travel categories

So I've had the Premier card for about 4-6 months. Also have Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Finding that some of the same merchants which got me travel bonus points on CSP are not getting me travel bonus points on Citi Premier.

One is travel insurance, Citi says it's insurance.

Another is Renfe train tickets. Citi only gave me 1x points.

And the last one is Get Your Guide, which is a travel tour operator. Citi also gave me 1x points.

I will have to double check some old Chase statements but I would swear I got travel bonuses for at least Renfe and GetYourGuide.com.

Who determines the travel categorization or coding, is it the merchant or the bank?

Every one of those transactions are for travel and I used the Citi Premier instead of the CSP with the expectation that both cars would give 3X and 2X points.

Now I booked a bunch more travel and dining this month on both cards, way more on Citi, especially hotels, than on CSP, which I used mostly for restaurants.

Has anyone found that Citi awards travel points differently than Chase?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:13 pm

Citi Premier does not offer 3x on a broad "travel" category the way that Chase does. Rather it's on on restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, air travel and hotels. (emphasis added)

Air travel generally
includes all airfare purchased directly with airlines or through a travel agency. It’s not just ticket costs that qualify, but generally other fees associated with airline tickets. Hotel include those booked directly or through a travel agency. This also includes incidental purchases at hotels, and not just the room rate.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:32 pm

Merchant category is, I believe, set by Mastercard and Visa. It is possible that a merchants may be categorized in one category for Visa and another for Mastercard. Then it is up to the bank to decide which categories fall into their bonus groups, as noted above "travel" may just be air tickets and hotels at some banks, but another might include parking, train, bus, taxi, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long have you had the Citi Premier card? The Citi Premier originally used to offer 3x on "the broadest definition of travel", but a few years ago they changed the categories to just:

3x points on dining & restaurants
3x points on gas stations
3x points on groceries & supermarkets
3x points on airfare
3x points on hotels

But even back then, a lot of stuff didn't work, because like mentioned above, it's depend on merchant coding. So one tour service I used was coded as "software design" (because a person who stared out doing software design later added the tour service to their business), so I only earned 1x on that even thought it still was "the broadest definition of travel" back then.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 5:00 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sdsearch
3x points on dining & restaurants
3x points on gas stations
3x points on groceries & supermarkets
3x points on airfare
3x points on hotels
PLUS
3x points at travel agencies

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ci...al-information
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:57 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Have had it about 5-6 months.

Hmm, that's pretty restrictive, airfare, hotels and travel agencies.

That would rule out train fares, cruises, ferry rides, cable car tickets. Also car rentals and tour operators like Viator or local tour companies for things like day trips or coach tours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.