Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:59 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by msp3
.... no good then?
You opened the previous account in 2017. When did you receive the bonus?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mia
You opened the previous account in 2017. When did you receive the bonus?
As it turns out, it was Jan 2017 and it's already been 48-months. I guess in this case exclusion or no I would qualify in general...
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by annahampton87
Read that citi is being stricter re. app approvals as it relates to inquiries. I am 5/6 and 9/24. I opened a checking account with Citi in Dec (for bonus) and thought that might help? This would be my first citi credit card and looking at the AA Biz offer. I have a sole prop ‘Biz’ for 2 years w/ $3,250 revenue. FICO- 766, total annual income $130,000. I’ve been applying for quite a few new cards lately and don’t want to risk the HP from citi unless I feel like I have a decent shot at approval. Thanks in advance for your help!
I was able to get an instant approval with Citi under about the same circumstances as you last July. No Citi business checking account but first Citi card. Was at 5/24 for new card accounts and had applied for the Barclays AA Biz card only one week before (they denied me, so then applied for AA and got the instant approve)
mster likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The new Citi AA Strategy

1) Apply for Citi Mileup Card - 10,000 miles
2) Wait for Citi Priority Bank Account mileage offer associated with Mileup card, get bonus - 50,000 miles
3) Apply for AA Platinum card - 60,000 miles
4) Wait for City Priority Bank Account mileage offer associated with Platinum card, get bonus - 50,000 miles
5) Apply for AA Executive card - 50,000 miles
6) Wait for City Priority Bank Account mileage offer associated with Executive card, get bonus - 50,000 miles

Total of 270,000 bonus miles, takes about a year and a half to two years

Other sources of AA MIles
- Barclays cards
- Marriott cards (current Bonvoy Brilliant offer of 125,000 miles nets 50,000 AA miles)
- Bask bank
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The new Citi AA Strategy

1) Apply for Citi Mileup Card - 10,000 miles
2) Wait for Citi Priority Bank Account mileage offer associated with Mileup card, get bonus - 50,000 miles
3) Apply for AA Platinum card - 60,000 miles
4) Wait for City Priority Bank Account mileage offer associated with Platinum card, get bonus - 50,000 miles
5) Apply for AA Executive card - 50,000 miles
6) Wait for City Priority Bank Account mileage offer associated with Executive card, get bonus - 50,000 miles

Total of 270,000 bonus miles, takes about a year and a half to two years

Other sources of AA MIles
- Barclays cards
- Marriott cards (current Bonvoy Brilliant offer of 125,000 miles nets 50,000 AA miles)
- Bask bank
You left out step 7:

7) Wait for 1099 forms from Citi for their estimated value of 150,000 miles. (Miles that you earn on a credit card signup bonus are not taxable; miles that you earn from a checking account are taxable.)
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You left out step 7:

7) Wait for 1099 forms from Citi for their estimated value of 150,000 miles. (Miles that you earn on a credit card signup bonus are not taxable; miles that you earn from a checking account are taxable.)
FWIW I have not received a 1099 form from Citi across 2 tax years related to bank account sign up bonuses - maybe Citi considers them promotional bonuses instead of interest. This could of course change
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:49 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Primary discussion thread for the Citi AA bank account bonuses is here: 30K AAdvantage for Citi checking account

Do the Citi Priority offers include any requirement to use the associated debit card to receive the bonus?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
Primary discussion thread for the Citi AA bank account bonuses is here: 30K AAdvantage for Citi checking account

Do the Citi Priority offers include any requirement to use the associated debit card to receive the bonus?
Yes - you had to spend a certain amount on the debit card (I think $750 or $1,000) and use the bill pay function a couple of times
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yes - you had to spend a certain amount on the debit card (I think $750 or $1,000) ....
This is not a topic that I have followed closely, but in my understanding the debit card use requirement could be a reason that Citi did not send a 1099. The miles could be classified as a partial refund of the debit card spend.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:03 am

Just a DP if anyone is interested. I was instantly approved for the Citi AA Platinum card with an income of $60k, maximum account age of 2.5 years, and a score of 760ish. Only $2500 limit but it's a start. Others cards with Chase, Amex and the Apple Card with GS. Directly on Citi.com the offer was 50k miles for $2500 spend but AA.com was offering 60k miles for $3000 spend so I went for that instead.

Quick question, the very first post said his online account didn't activate til the card arrived, which is what is happening with me (they asked to create a username and password but it says not recognized). I'll have to wait for the card to arrive I assume?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:45 pm

Was approved for the business AA card last Tuesday and just got the "Welcome to your new CitiBusiness account" letter in the mail. The problem is, there's no card anywhere. It was supposed to be attached to this letter and isn't sent separately, right? Looks like they completely forgot to include it. Figured I'd ask before submitting a request for a replacement.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:04 pm
mia

The card is sent separately. See, for example, this report from October 2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31587480-post364.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The card is sent separately. See, for example, this report from October 2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31587480-post364.html
Weird, but thank you! The next post says for the personal card there's a line saying the card will arrive separately. Unfortunately looks like they left that language out of the letter for the business card.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:45 pm

Just a quick question to confirm. It has been said in the sticker post, but I want to make sure I understand it correctly. If I have an AA personal card opened back in 2015, converted to a Mastercard involuntarily in 2020 and I want to close it now, does the 48 months clock reset for signup bonus starting today? Also, if I want to close the card without paying annual fee, is it right that I have to close the card 37 days after annual fee is posted?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by pat_pat_tong
Just a quick question to confirm. It has been said in the sticker post, but I want to make sure I understand it correctly. If I have an AA personal card opened back in 2015, converted to a Mastercard involuntarily in 2020 and I want to close it now, does the 48 months clock reset for signup bonus starting today? Also, if I want to close the card without paying annual fee, is it right that I have to close the card 37 days after annual fee is posted?
Historically, forced conversions didn't reset the bonus clock. Since mid-2019, terms now say 48 months from last bonus received, nothing else. Thus, there is no clock to reset when converting or closing AA cards. 37 days to close is the general consensus with AA cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.