Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Why back up AA award travel? Are you afraid of something specific with your account or just generally concerned about any ff ticket with these shutdowns?
(I have never considered backing up AA award travel. Should I? That is why I am asking.)

I'm guessing you have no idea what has been going on the past month with AA miles and locked accounts
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm guessing you have no idea what has been going on the past month with AA miles and locked accounts
Of course, I am. But you did not answer my question(s).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:34 pm

Because Corp Sec will shutdown your AA account, take away all your points, and cancel all existing flights.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
But you did not answer my question(s).
There is an expectation that you read the earlier posts. I think THIS one will answer your question.
Happy, flyer4512 and CodeAdam10 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:39 pm

Read this thread and decide for yourself
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is an expectation that you read the earlier posts. I think THIS one will answer your question.
Yes, of course I read the thread.

No it does not answer the questions, but, I think the non-answer(s) explains it.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

No it does not answer the questions
I think it does. If someone's AAdvantage account is locked there is a possibility that they will not be able to travel on an AAdvantage award ticket, and it is prudent to have a backup plan.
Happy, flyer4512 and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by viraldemos
Because Corp Sec will shutdown your AA account, take away all your points, and cancel all existing flights.
Cancelling award ticket flights as part of some of these card-churning-related shutdowns, but not cancelling regular paid revenue tickets priced in cash terms only, right? I had assumed that you mean the former.

If someone feels like they may be at risk of being denied travel on an AA mileage ticket from an account being shutdown or locked down, then having a backup plan to travel (without using the AA mileage ticket) may make sense.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think it does. If someone's AAdvantage account is locked there is a possibility that they will not be able to travel on an AAdvantage award ticket, and it is prudent to have a backup plan.
It's BEYOND self explanatory.
Happy and gmt4 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I think you're under-estimating just how much big businesses are hated and vilified, even when they might be technically and legally in the right.
AA has handled the mainstream media masterfully.

People who already hate AA will continue to hate AA. Nothing AA can do about that.

Average person reading about people who applied for multiples of the same card and obtaining multiple dollops of freebie miles will get this scheme in a second.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
What mainstream media coverage do you refer to? There are people who stand to personally lose millions of miles, and they’re not even aware of it. People above asking “why should I make backup plans”. Totally unaware and oblivious.

This is hardly making news to the people most affected, let alone to the mainstream public at this point.
flyer4512 and gmt4 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA’s done nothing special with the media on this. It’s just business as usual in institutional biases, all while the airlines will continue to be one of the most disliked industries in America given customer satisfaction-related levels for the industry and for this airline. But it won’t make a difference in how AA deals with these AA account shutdowns of sorts related to credit card-churning.
progapanda likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
What mainstream media coverage do you refer to? There are people who stand to personally lose millions of miles, and they’re not even aware of it. People above asking “why should I make backup plans”. Totally unaware and oblivious.

This is hardly making news to the people most affected, let alone to the mainstream public at this point.

this is a terrible comment. The people “most affected” with “millions of miles to lose” are sitting on FT, Reddit and other sub groups on slack and FB. Everyone who has skin I’m the game knows what is going on.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:55 pm

I was just thinking...there must be some very baffled CSRs at Delta and United wondering, “Why the heck we selling sooooo many refundable tickets this week?”
Global321 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

People who already hate AA will continue to hate AA. Nothing AA can do about that.

Average person reading about people who applied for multiples of the same card and obtaining multiple dollops of freebie miles will get this scheme in a second.
AA has handled this terribly. They should take their cues from the banks.

I like AA and their program, no hatred here. They just need to be smarter. As some posters have pointed out, it is pretty strange for an airline to be punishing people for their credit card bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.