Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 84fiero
The fact that you continue to try and get me to restate what I've already said is clearly designed to garner additional information, hoping I will say more the next time. Continuing to harrass me isn't going to change what I say, which I've explained as much as I can. If you want more details yourself, you're welcome to inquire to join the private forums where such details are prevalent.
Several posters found out about this from the AA forum and are spending more time than ever here now, never having did a mailer.
Akin to a looky Lou.

Going private was an excellent choice.
GUWonder, Happy and 84fiero like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz
Citi is certainly seeing a 100% reduction in AA cc spend from DW and I... !

Why even keep the AA cards ? We cancelled 8 AA cards ( 3 accounts ) a week or so ago.

IMO there is reason CITI let this go on ( a bank fudging numbers, no way) so let them run the numbers with a few thousand AA cards ( where people all paid on time) off the books.

Does it matter, who knows but I have no reason for a AA card now.................if this all ends well (DOUBTFUL) and I need one I have never had the businesses version
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The fact that you continue to try and get me to restate what I've already said is clearly designed to garner additional information, hoping I will say more the next time. Continuing to harrass me isn't going to change what I say, which I've explained as much as I can. If you want more details yourself, you're welcome to inquire to join the private forums where such details are prevalent.
I have no interest in you restating anything. I cited your language to show different people are in different situations, which is not a great fact for a class action. There are many examples in FT, but your language was convenient.

If you believe quoting you is harassing you, please take it up with the moderators.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
I have no interest in you restating anything. I cited your language to show different people are in different situations, which is not a great fact for a class action. There are many examples in FT, but your language was convenient.

If you believe quoting you is harassing you, please take it up with the moderators.
If the common denominator is all the accounts that got over X sign up bonuses are seized then any other criteria besides that is irrelevant.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618
If the common denominator is all the accounts that got over X sign up bonuses are seized then any other criteria besides that is irrelevant.
Some people are saying they are totally innocent, others say they heavily gamed the system. For a class action, you need both commonality (issues in common) and typicality (there can't be major differences in claims or defenses, although they don't have to be identical). Without more information [not a solicitation of those feeling harassed], it's hard to say, but the argument of a true innocent would seem much different from the argument of someone who got AAdvantage accounts for their pets and houseplants.

Plaintiffs would also have to get past the Ginsberg / T&C issue. Also, courts have become increasingly hostile to class actions and many consumer protections.

If someone finds a lawyer willing to take the case, I'm sure we'll hear about it here.
tom911, notquiteaff and wyogold like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Northwest Plat
how many shutdowns/terminations happened so far??
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rover4618
DisAAdvantage is a classical Ponzi Scheme. The way PS work, is they offer something 'too good to be true'. Then they rope in a bunch of people by letting the first naďve folks win, which then convinces more cautious people to play the game, since 'it's clearly working' for the first people. Then when a lot of people have put a lot of money into the PS, they close it down, and everyone still in loses everything.

If that sounds familiar, it's because this is what AA did here. Don't confuse this with Citi, AA wrote the T/C, AA sent out the mailers and then the emailers, and AA sold the miles to Citi. AA could have just sent out offers with 12 digits, which are really non-transferable. Which would have limited us to applying once every 24 months, so not that many miles to be sold to Citi.

Instead they sent out 9 digit ones that anyone who can read and write could use, no matter who they were sent to. Fully knowing that the word would get around that this giant loophole is available. As anticipated many thousands of us applied for card after card, did the spend, and had the miles deposited in our accounts. Then the day came when AA decided that it was time to end the game. After all, there were now many thousands of us with @Million Miles in each of our accounts. By closing the accounts down, they can in one stroke eliminate Billions of miles/dollars from their balance sheet. By doing it now, their end of quarter/end of year report, which comes out mid-January will show a massive reduction in liabilities, Which AAL desperately needs, since over the last 2 years their stock price has come down from @$58 Jan 2018 to $28 today.

So if you had a Million miles in your now closed account, all of which were sold by AA to Citi, which AA now gets back for free, the least AA should do is send you a Thank You card. Because you didn't engage in "fraud", you were suckered into AA's Ponzi Scheme, from which they profited handsomely.
rover4618, 84fiero, Robl and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
DisAAdvantage is a classical Ponzi Scheme. The way PS work, is they offer something 'too good to be true'. Then they rope in a bunch of people by letting the first naďve folks win, which then convinces more cautious people to play the game, since 'it's clearly working' for the first people. Then when a lot of people have put a lot of money into the PS, they close it down, and everyone still in loses everything.
Attached Images  
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Axiom? Or is that in the other thread in the AA forum?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Axiom? Or is that in the other thread in the AA forum?
Ponzi Scheme (sic)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Dougie Parker, is that you?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:05 pm

Dougie Parker, is that you?
That’s me. You can just call me Mr. Parker. Or sir.
notquiteaff and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Finkface
Ponzi Scheme (sic)
“Ponzi scheme” consists of one or two words? I don’t plan to check out The Princess Bride again anytime soon, but did Montoya (???) talk about what a Ponzi scheme is?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alexphj
how many shutdowns/terminations happened so far??
Unless AA (or maybe Citi) goes on public record about this kind of thing, we may never know for sure.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
“Ponzi scheme” consists of one or two words? I don’t plan to check out The Princess Bride again anytime soon, but did Montoya (???) talk about what a Ponzi scheme is?
Two Words: "Ponzi Scheme - Wikipedia"

No, Montoya didn't mention Ponzi anything, but "I don't think that word means what you think it means" is a famous line spoken by Montoya in the film.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.