Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Penny wise, pound foolish. The economy is good and planes are full. So they figure they can make a money grab and zero out some mileage balances at the cost of a few very loyal customers; there are plenty more waiting in line to fill those planes.

Of course during the next recession when business travel is down and the planes are half full, they will miss those loyal customers.

The funny part is that that they are probably going to lose (ahem... "settle") a very large lawsuit and their money grab will be unsuccessful (or at least severely mitigated) But the loyal customers will still be gone for good.
I’ve noticed someone disappeared as this started picking up steam LOL

let’s see how this continues to develop

Last edited by BaconSF; Feb 20, 2020 at 6:53 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I believe AA will be on the hook for $0, since AA has very good lawyers
With the recent developments, what does the crystal ball say now?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:58 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:50 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Reddit tracks shutdowns only, as I have repeatedly told you.
can confirm. The reddit mods only allows people that have been shutdown to participate in the thread
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:10 am
formerly atomicfront

I don't see how AA is going to come out of this without major dollars going to people. It makes me think AA is on the verge of bankruptcy. They are trying to steal from people who earned millions of miles flying on their airlines. This isn't normal corporate behavior. If I had stock I would certainly sell while it still has value. These are desperation moves. Stealing millions of miles from a older couple who have earned millions by flying? Short term gains vs long term losses.

Last edited by catsfroggy1; Feb 20, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtndew00
If Citi only had 12 digit invite codes that allowed anyone to apply then Id agree with you, if they could have sent 9 digit, actually non-transferable invite codes, but actually sent 12 digit in-practice-transferrable codes, then I disagree with you
could be Citi hired a mkting company and they thought it was non-transferrable. I might agree with you and the others IF Citi comes out and says yes we were fully aware of what was taking place and had/have no problems with it. Sort of like a biz gets hacked doesnt know it was and people take advantage of that hack, would that hacked biz care had it known?

I walk into a store and know a way around their security system,, since they just redid it and left a bunch of holes.I load my pockets with goods and walkout with the known run around if caught afterwards weeks or months later when they start to review the tapes to try and find out why their goods are gone while sales dont merit it. I guess its tough luck on that biz they have no right to come after me since they were the ones who set up the system (not discussing if its legal or not just the merits)

BTW how can AA steal whats theirs in the 1st place, their T&Cs state that the miles in your acct belongs to them and not the person
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:58 am

Sorry, but what is SUB? and what are P2 and P1?

Last edited by sbbi; Feb 20, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbbi
Sorry, but what is SUB?
New account "Sign Up Bonus"

P1 and P2 are placeholders for the names of different individuals with unspecified relationships to the poster.

Last edited by mia; Feb 20, 2020 at 10:46 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:43 am

You repeatedly assert this as true. But there is no evidence that AA knows anything about what mailers were used. You are speculating.

There are existing DPs of terminations with 0 mailers used. Sometimes Citi awarded bonus miles despite the offers having 24 month language. There are DPs of people awarded many bonuses that way, without mailers, who were terminated.
It is a bit more than speculation.

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Reddit tracks shutdowns only, as I have repeatedly told you.
Originally Posted by BaconSF
can confirm. The reddit mods only allows people that have been shutdown to participate in the thread
You are both confirming you are not on the threads some of us are on. (It is private and vetted to keep out prying eyes and fake accounts. Probably doesn't have the name you think it should have.)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Penny wise, pound foolish. The economy is good and planes are full. So they figure they can make a money grab and zero out some mileage balances at the cost of a few very loyal customers; there are plenty more waiting in line to fill those planes.

Of course during the next recession when business travel is down and the planes are half full, they will miss those loyal customers.

The funny part is that that they are probably going to lose (ahem... "settle") a very large lawsuit and their money grab will be unsuccessful (or at least severely mitigated) But the loyal customers will still be gone for good.
The C-Suite will have sailed off into the sunset with their bonuses by the time that happens...
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:03 am

But there is no evidence that AA knows anything about what mailers were used. You are speculating.
So is AA only locking and terminating accounts that are tied to multiple emailers?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by DVDBob
So is AA only locking and terminating accounts that are tied to multiple emailers?
No, I was not intending to distinguish smail-mailer from emailer. They are locking and terminating accounts that are tied to multiple Citi signup bonuses. This includes both people who never used an emailer and people who never used an emailer or snail-mailer.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Global321
You are both confirming you are not on the threads some of us are on. (It is private and vetted to keep out prying eyes and fake accounts. Probably doesn't have the name you think it should have.)
I'm sure they're both referring to /r/aa_shutdown. So you are saying there is another, more comprehensive, reddit source that is also collecting negative DPs? I'm skeptical.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:48 am
mia

If Citi only had 12 digit invite codes that allowed anyone to apply then Id agree with you, if they could have sent 9 digit, actually non-transferable invite codes, but actually sent 12 digit in-practice-transferrable codes, then I disagree with you
For clarity, this is reversed. 12 digit invitations were not transferable. 9 digit invitations were.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:00 am
mia

Moderator action

A half dozen posts discussing American Airline's finances have been segregated:

AA financial health discussion
tom911 and Often1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.